The Hilton Hotel , One of Sydneys first Five star Hotels the first with a Big chain name behind it has become a Sydney icon. The Hilton Hotel was built on the same site as the Famous Adams Hotel, this Hotel would no longer met the needs of the ever increasing number of International travelers and the 7 floors were never going to offer enough space so down it had to come and the 35 floor Hilton Hotel built and opened in 1975.
The only part of the Adams hotel that was lovingly kept and transferred brick by brick, marble slabs and mirrors was the famous Adams marble bar, all moved to the New Hilton and the Grand Marble Bar was reborn in the basement on Castlereagh street side of the Hotel where it has served many a guest up untill the $200 million dollar refurbishment of the Hilton, closing for 30 months and opening again in 2008, and the Marble bar was again moved to the other side of the Hotel to the George street basement, and if you visit this great bar you will love the classic design and great service by friendly staff that know they are working in a iconic bar.
We move ahead in time to the Grand Hotel it is today, though recognised as a very nice Hotel it really hasnt got the feel of any thing special. I eat in this Hotel, as the food is very good, My persoanl favourite restaurant in the past was the San Francisco grill, which served the best Steak Diane. A classic.! Now I dine in the Glass Brasserie, the food has always been good, the service can be a little hit and miss, but they are attentive, but you can wait, so eat and relax, and its best not to be in a hurry to get to somewhere else. I drink at the Marble Bar with my staff, and we love it to unwind. But the Hotel lacks soul, its very hard to put a finger on it. One day I will be able to describe what it is I miss here and I will come back and write another review.
If your a Hilton Honours member then you will love it. The Hotel has iconic status and has nostalgia but lacks personality. Though I hand on heart cant say you should stay here, I can say the restaurants and marble bar should be on your visit list, if in Sydney. What I can say is that it is well managed, and has a good reputation, the location is ideal, the staff super polite, it's always a pleasure to come in, out of the Hilton's I have been in this is one of the best.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Sydney Hotel
- Hilton Sydney Hotel Sydney
- Hilton International Sydney
- Sydney Hilton International
- Sydney Hilton
- Hilton Hotel Sydney
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Superbly located in the hub of the city, Hilton Sydney has magnificent views and convenient access to iconic attractions including the spectacular Sydney Harbour and Opera House. Offering contemporary design that fulfils comfort and style, outstanding facilities and exceptional service, Hilton Sydney is a must for both domestic and international guests and Sydneysiders alike. Choose from stylish guest rooms and luxury suites, and rejuvenate the body and mind at LivingWell Premier Health Club with the latest gym facilities, swimming pool and stunning day spa. Sample two stylish and distinctive bars in the progressive, sleek cocktail bar, Zeta Bar with its international team of mixologists and the iconic, Victorian live music hub that’s Marble Bar. Enjoy a coffee, light meal or delectable dessert in the patisserie at Caffe Cino and one of Australia’s leading chefs and restaurateurs, Luke Mangan, provides a definitive Sydney dining experience at the award winning, glass brasserie. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hilton EMEA, Hotels.com, Priceline, Agoda, Tingo, EasyToBook, HotelTravel.com and Venere so you can book your Hilton Sydney reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.