“Kitten Rooms” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 177 Hotels in Sydney
New Rochelle, New York, USA
“Kitten Rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Ever see the expression "so small you couldn't swing a cat"? Well, this hotel, after "extensive" remodeling and "upgrading" has rooms that can not accomodate the swinging of a baby kitten. Oddly--and I do mean very oddly--the rooms have a king bed, which is nice, but the room is tiny, and in the middle of it is a massive glass desk that occupies half the avaialble space. Why? We could not figure it out. We had 2 drawers for clothing, and at home we have cutlery drawers larger than the clothing drawers in room 2610. We had trouble storing our suitcases and we could not unpack because there is nowhere to unpack and put things that do not hang. We called and begged for a medium-sized cat room, but alas, only if we paid an extra (discounted, apparently) $250 per night could we have a small suite. We did not need a suite--just a normal room, like the Hilton on the Park in Melbourne. No such luck. The location is terrific, in the middle of the CBD, across from the Queen Victoria Arcade/Shops on George Street. Very good spot, nice staff, but oh the rooms are very small. Of particular note as an added irritation is the notice that if one touches or moves anything in the refrigerator, Hilton will charge you. So, we called to say we would be putting wine and chese in there and to please not charge us for moving the Coke cans and beer. Their suggestion? They told me that they would bring a portable refrigerator to the room for that purpose. Now this is a room that is already size-challenged, and now we are going to have a portable compressor running in the room? They finally saw the sense of ignoring that I moved the cheese.

Room Tip: The indoor pool/exercise room is very large and very well done. there is no outdoor pool.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
MichaelBourne01, General Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you for your review about Hilton Sydney.

I was sorry to see that you were disappointed with your room type during your stay. The desk is usually a popular feature with our guests, especially our corporate clientele, however we sincerely regret that you felt cramped on this occasion and have taken your feedback on board.

However, should you return to Hilton Sydney in future, you may perfer one of our Relaxation Rooms for a more spacious experience.

We appreciate your comments and views as it helps us to gauge our guests' perceptions and ascertain whether we are meeting guests' expectations.

Thank you again and I hope we will have another opportunity to welcome you back to Hilton Sydney in the not too distant future.

Michael Bourne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (517)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights in August last year. Everything was fantastic.
Worst thing was that I fell in love with the toiletries and we can't get them in New Zealand....

The room is impeccable, and the staff were very friendly.

Thank you for such an amazing stay for my first time in Sydney.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your overall stay with us at Hilton Sydney, and we look forward to welcoming you back, the next time your travels bring you this way.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We stayed at the Hilton last week and took the train to the city. Town Hall station is across the street and the location of the hotel allows you to wheel your bag through the QVB and up the escalator to the hotel. This was convenience plus as we didnt have to pay for parking. As others have said this is a terrific mid city location, good for shopping, Darling Harbour is close by and we walked to the Opera House to see a show. Small but comfortable rooms. We asked about any deals for breakfast as the Glass brasserie is lovely. Had a buffet breakfast for $29.00 each ($10 off the normal price so it pays to ask!) which included coffees made to order. This was expensive but very convenient. Great views of the QVB Sydney sandstome facade from the breakfast room.
We have stayed at the Hilton before and will do so again.

Room Tip: Ask about a discount for breakfast. They will offer a deal if you purchase breakfast the day before.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your comments on Trip Advisor.

I'm glad you enjoyed your experience at Hilton Sdyney, including our buffet breakfast which offers quite a spread.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Alice Springs, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

On a stopover from central Australia to London I stayed for a couple of nights at the Hilton Hotel in Sydney. I chose the Hilton not only for its comfort and good beds, but for its convenient location right in the middle of Sydney. I was glad I did because it is so close to everything. Just walk out the front door and there is central Sydney with all the best shops nearby and Chinatown not far down the road. A pleasant city walk took me to the Royal Botanic Gardens, Opera House and Sydney Cove, where I took ferry rides across Sydney Harbour. The Hilton is located very close to Town Hall and Wynyard railway stations, which are on the direct line to the Airport - another drawcard. My bedroom was very stylish indeed, with a beautiful comfortable bed and the best feather doona ever - just the right weight. I loved the window dressings as well, they were opaque sliding panels that could be adjusted to let in my preferred amount of light. There was a great view of the city as well. The room was very comfortable and of the highest standards of cleanliness, comfort and quiet. The breakfast restaurant was obviously a great favourite of Sydneysiders and I enjoyed my breakfast with great coffee. I'll definitely stay here again when next in Sydney. Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at Hilton Sydney.

I was glad to see you had a wonderful stay and we all look forward to serving you the next time your travels bring you back this way.

Mindarie, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

This hotel just gets it right over and over.
I've stayed here a few times and always have a lovely, clean room, comfy bed and a true 5 star experience. Rooms are comfortable contemporary with everything you need.
We upgraded to a Deluxe room this time in order to check in early. Probably not worth the extra $60 but we needed to sleep after a flight from LA.
The Marble Bar is amazing. Location right in town, waking distance to everything. Express check out is a breeze.
Parking very expensive and complicated but apart from that this hotel just knows what they're doing. Stay here if you want a guaranteed quiet night in a real hotel.

Room Tip: We upgraded for $60 to a high floor on the corner. Great city views and totally silent.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your review on Trip Advisor.

We appreciate your comments and hope you will visit us again at Hilton Sydney, sometime in the not too distant future.

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Stayed at this hotel on a visit to my homeland.

Checked in on NYD and the hotel was at full occupancy this previous night, hence i was unable to check in at 10am. Was told they would call me when room was ready and the bell boy took the bags.

It wasn't a big deal but the hotel never ended up calling me. By the time I returned to the hotel, it was already 10pm and my bags were in the room.

Pros
- Conveniently located in the heart of CBD, you cannot beat its location
- Good sized rooms- value for money
- Rooms were modern and excellent amenities

Cons
- Im pretty tech savvy but the room's high tech telephone was extremely hard to navigate
- Room service prices- A$20+ for a meat pie that was soggy?!?! Surely you can do better if you are going to charge that money. Overall room service prices were very expensive.
- Parking fees were expensive- it was 25% of my room rate
- I was unlucky to have a room on the same floor as flight crew who were noisy coming in/ out wee hours of morning.

Room Tip: Park on the street for free if you park late at night and leave by 6am
Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
MichaelBourne01, General Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us on Trip Advisor.

Whilst I am pleased you enjoyed our location and facilities, I was sorry to learn of your disappointing service experience during your stay.

Please rest assured your feedback has been taken on board and discussed with the Department Managers concerned, in order to avoid any such repetition in future, as we strive to deliver the highest standard of service.

Once again, thank you for your comments and I do hope we will have the privilege of serving you again at Hilton Sydney in the not too distant future.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

What can I say? The staff are very warm, the rooms well appointed, the lobby cafe makes good coffee.

I went to the Hilton via a mystery hotel promotion so I paid a very good price for 5 star.

The rooms are relatively small but staying at the Hilton is about spending time in the city as far as I am concerned.

The sound proofing was great in my room (L26). The bed is comfortable, the shower is good (with a TV for those that can't leave the box behind), the lighting is pleasant, there are block out shutters.

I was given free wifi. There is a gym and pool which I didn't use but they looked nice enough.

The Hilton has a 'business-y' feel about it but that is what I expected, There was a desk and chair for working in the room.

I didn't go to marble bar but I've heard of it - sounds nice

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your lovely review on Trip Advisor.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed our facilities and service during your stay; and I hope that we will have the pleasure of serving you again at Hilton Sydney, perhaps next time in Marble Bar.