“Stayed here multiple times” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save with Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #32 of 182 hotels in Sydney
Toronto, Ontario
“Stayed here multiple times”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

This is an excellent hotel that has seen it's price/night steadily increase over the past 3 years. I have stayed here over 10 times in the past three years while on business. The hotel is very good. Here is a summary of the good and the bad:

Good:

- very clean
- very professional service
- great CBD location
- amazing breakfast in Glass
- excellent bathrooms (excellent!!)
- Very good cocktail bar/lounge

Bad:

- hate that the beds in the executive rooms are really two mattresses pushed together
- hate the steady increase in cost/night over the past years, it is a valuable hotel
- the Magic (central call center) system is a nuisance

15 minute walk to Circular Quai (Opera House)
10 minute walk to Darling Harbour
10 minute walk to China Town
25 minute walk to Taylor Square

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
MichaelBourne01, General Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Thank you for your detailed review following your recent stay at Hilton Sydney.

We have taken your helpful feedback and comments on board and I hope we will have the pleasure of serving you again in the not too distant future.

1,998 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I was feeling very tired and a bit stressed after a eventful day
the checkin was very fast and friendly
My room was very nice clean with great views of the city centre
After a relaxing hot bath I was ready for the heavenly pillows and now
All ready for a new day

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay.

I am delighted you had a restful and relaxing experience with us at Hilton Sydney and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

This was our first stop on out 3 week long honeymoon and the Hilton was a great place to stay. Th staff was always willing to help us out with bookings and finding us restaurants. The room was very nice and the location in town was great! Easy to walk to all shopping, restaurants and th ferries.

The only thing that I found a bit odd was that they charged $1 each for making a phone call for us at the concierge desk. Even just to make a restaurant reservation.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review following your experience at Hilton Sydney.

I was very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us; however, I was concerned to learn that you were charged for Concierge services. Our Concierge and Bell Desk teams do not charge for their services at Hilton Sydney and I would greatly appreciate any further detail and insight you can share on the matter, should you wish to contact us directly at the hotel.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope to hear from you soon.

Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

After a fantastic experience at the Westin Melbourne, I was expecting no less a fabulous stay as an HHonors Gold Card holder at the Hilton Sydney where I had reserved a Club Room.

On check-in, there was no acknowledgement of me as an HHonors Gold cardholder. I wasn't offered an upgrade and it was only later after I enquired that I was told the hotel was fully booked. Nevertheless, I put in an upgrade request thinking a room might become available in the 5 nights we stayed but no mention was ever made of it after that first time.

I was expecting the usual Welcome basket/package usual for Gold cardholders; again, this never came in the 5 nights we stayed.

There was no complimentary bottled water even in the Club Room. When I enquired, I was told the hotel had changed its policy and no water would be provided and no exception would be made even for Gold cardholders.

Breakfast was perhaps the nicest part of our stay. The staff were friendly, and the spread varied and plentiful; with Asian offerings like dim sum & fried rice and staples like pancakes, waffles, etc.

The location was great as it was adjacent to the Westfield Mall, opposite the Queen Victoria Building and just a 15 minute walk to the Harbor and Opera House.

For the price I paid, I don't feel I got much value for my money. Everything was average. Even the King Club room was small and cramped.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your feedback about your stay at Hilton Sydney.

I was sorry to read about your experience and please allow me to convey our sincere apologies for the disappointing service you received on this occasion.

I have certainly shared you comments with the Department Managers concerned, however if you would be willing, please contact us directly at the hotel with your details so that we can investigate the matter in greater detail.

We truly value your loyalty as a HHonors Gold member and once again, I appreciate your feedback, which helps us monitor if we are meeting our guests’ needs and expectations.

I do hope we will have the privilege of serving you again at some stage in the not too distant future.

Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for just one night recently and were impressed. From the ease of parking to the attentiveness of the check-in staff as well as its central location, we could not fault it.

We stayed in a king room which was on the smaller size compared to our stays in Sydney at the Swissotel, Sheraton on the Park and Intercontinental but the room was comfortable and the shower even had Aquavision! The corridors were a little on the narrow size so we dod hear our neighbours from time to time.

The pool, spa and fitness area was second to none.

The staff on check-in accommodated us with a microwave as I needed to warm up a heat pack due to a neck injury and this was most appreciated. We would definitely return.

Room Tip: Possibly go for a room the next size up from a king room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review on Hilton Sydney.

I was very pleased to see that you enjoyed your overall experience and we hope to serve you again in the not too distant future.

Burleigh Heads, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Following on from my stay at Hilton New York last month it would seem Hilton Sydney is going for that same run of the mill experience that New York offered.

As a Hilton Honors Diamond Member I was given an "upgrade" to an Executive Club Room which was pokey and although "modern" more resembled a Holiday Inn room than what I expected to find at a Hilton.

The bathroom was awkward with little room to maneuver and although offering a stand alone shower, was clear the bath took up so much room that it left little for the shower or rest of the bathroom.

The TV was too small for a room of this "standard" and offered a very poor selection of channels (no pay-TV and only a small selection of Free to Air Channels), the remote was difficult to use and ended up being more trouble than it was worth so was switched off.

The service was okay, great from some, average from others and found it disappointing that despite being addressed by my name at other properties when calling their central "magic" phone line, there was none of that here (not that I expect it, it's just a nice touch).

Their service really let them down, with our car not being ready when needed despite giving ample warning (it was admitted it wasn't even called for despite us calling their central phone line) and their "VIP" Amenity being pretty bland.

Location wise this hotel is great, it's in a great spot, and if they can iron out some of the issues experienced at a service and product offering level, this would be a fantastic hotel...as it is I can only judge it on my one and only stay and was neither overwhelmed nor underwhelmed, I guess I was just whelmed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review about your stay at Hilton Sydney.

I am very disappointed by your comments and apologise sincerely for the inconvenience and disappointment caused to you as a result of what appears to have been miscommunication from our Magic department, and a system breakdown regarding the delivery of your water and a welcome gift.

I assure you the matters raised have been investigated in detail with the team members involved, their supervisors and our Director of Operations.

As a HHonors Diamond guest we highly value your support of Hilton Sydney and Hilton generally; and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon for a stay which is memorable for all the right reasons.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Hilton clearly had a very high expectation to meet for me being what it represented among luxury hotels and as such I am disappointed to report the standard king-bed guest room I stayed was just on par (NOTE: among 5-star hotels that is) and had nothing spectacular.

Firstly, there was confusion in the parking arrangement the hotel offers. Being in what must have been the busiest part of the CBD, car park is hard to come by, and I would appreciate the website detailing exactly what the valet parking would be. It now became clear to me that if you left the car at the hotel drop-off area (to be greeted by the porter on the ground), you would be charged hotel valet fee. If you drive into the underground carpark, the carpark staff would still park the car for you but you would not be charged for valet parking but the discounted fee. The arrangement wasn't bad, but not knowing that the actual carpark functions on its own, separated from the hotel itself, I was expecting help with luggage at the carpark and shocked to find none. Oh well...

Secondly, there was confusion about the room pricing. I am still not quite sure why I had to pay for an extra guest/bedding arrangement for just the two of us (two adults) in a room with a pre-arranged king bed.

Thirdly, the size of the room was rather small (smaller than I've expected at least) and on Lvl 23, siren from police/ambulance on street level could still be heard unfortunately.

Complaints aside, the facility was very modern and very clean, and the bedding/lighting was exceptionally comfortable. The shower was also very modern and well-designed; the TV set on the wall in the shower was non-functional, otherwise the shower I took there would have been the most interesting one I've ever taken. The location was definitely second to none, I can see QVB from my room and Sydney Tower/Westfield at the backdoor of the hotel; the monorail stations are very very close by also.

Would I return? Maybe I would try other 5-star hotels (many to choose from in Sydney CBD alone) instead next time. Being what it is, Hilton Sydney has very little value for money apart from the location it offers.

Room Tip: King-bed room is still quite small, considering the hotel being 5-star and the price it charges.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
MichaelBourne01, General Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your review on Trip Advisor.

I was sorry to learn that you experienced some confusion surrounding the car park situation, as our Hilton Sydney website provides quite a specific overview of the options available. Our Valet service incorporates the collection of your luggage on arrival at the hotel driveway and our porters would then proceed to park your car; whereas the Self Park option involves direct entry into Secure Car Park without assistance from our staff. However, we do appreciate your feedback which enables us to monitor our guests’ experience.

In relation to the room charge, our room rates are based on occupancy levels, which is common industry practice within Hilton hotels and we sincerely regret any confusion or misunderstanding that may have occurred with regards to this.

However, I was very pleased to learn that you enjoyed the overall facility and our location.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Hilton Sydney in future.

Michael Bourne

Been to Hilton Sydney? Share your experiences!