“A rather average 5-star hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20% off
Ranked #33 of 182 hotels in Sydney
Melbourne, Australia
“A rather average 5-star hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Hilton clearly had a very high expectation to meet for me being what it represented among luxury hotels and as such I am disappointed to report the standard king-bed guest room I stayed was just on par (NOTE: among 5-star hotels that is) and had nothing spectacular.

Firstly, there was confusion in the parking arrangement the hotel offers. Being in what must have been the busiest part of the CBD, car park is hard to come by, and I would appreciate the website detailing exactly what the valet parking would be. It now became clear to me that if you left the car at the hotel drop-off area (to be greeted by the porter on the ground), you would be charged hotel valet fee. If you drive into the underground carpark, the carpark staff would still park the car for you but you would not be charged for valet parking but the discounted fee. The arrangement wasn't bad, but not knowing that the actual carpark functions on its own, separated from the hotel itself, I was expecting help with luggage at the carpark and shocked to find none. Oh well...

Secondly, there was confusion about the room pricing. I am still not quite sure why I had to pay for an extra guest/bedding arrangement for just the two of us (two adults) in a room with a pre-arranged king bed.

Thirdly, the size of the room was rather small (smaller than I've expected at least) and on Lvl 23, siren from police/ambulance on street level could still be heard unfortunately.

Complaints aside, the facility was very modern and very clean, and the bedding/lighting was exceptionally comfortable. The shower was also very modern and well-designed; the TV set on the wall in the shower was non-functional, otherwise the shower I took there would have been the most interesting one I've ever taken. The location was definitely second to none, I can see QVB from my room and Sydney Tower/Westfield at the backdoor of the hotel; the monorail stations are very very close by also.

Would I return? Maybe I would try other 5-star hotels (many to choose from in Sydney CBD alone) instead next time. Being what it is, Hilton Sydney has very little value for money apart from the location it offers.

Room Tip: King-bed room is still quite small, considering the hotel being 5-star and the price it charges.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
MichaelBourne01, General Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your review on Trip Advisor.

I was sorry to learn that you experienced some confusion surrounding the car park situation, as our Hilton Sydney website provides quite a specific overview of the options available. Our Valet service incorporates the collection of your luggage on arrival at the hotel driveway and our porters would then proceed to park your car; whereas the Self Park option involves direct entry into Secure Car Park without assistance from our staff. However, we do appreciate your feedback which enables us to monitor our guests’ experience.

In relation to the room charge, our room rates are based on occupancy levels, which is common industry practice within Hilton hotels and we sincerely regret any confusion or misunderstanding that may have occurred with regards to this.

However, I was very pleased to learn that you enjoyed the overall facility and our location.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Hilton Sydney in future.

2,158 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

This hotel has been extensively renovated since my last stay - many years ago. The rooms are lovely, the staff pleasant, and the catering appetising.
The hotel has two street frontage with Pitt St taking - close to the mall and George Street entrance directly opposite Queen Victoria Building.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
MichaelBourne01, General Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Thank you for sharing your feedback following your stay at Hilton Sydney.

I appreciate your review and am glad you enjoyed our facility and services during your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back sometime soon.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We stayed for 1 night before our cruise in Sydney. This hotel is in a fabulous location in the heart of the city. As a Diamond member we were upgraded to a Suite which was just beautiful and so comfortable. The windows have electric shutters to block out the light which is very important for me, the bathroom was huge with seperate sinks and sunken bath and plasma. The executive lounge was excellent, king prawns and Sydney rock oysters...perfect. the check in and check out was fast and efficient as was all the service. I would definately stay at this hotel again in the future and highly recommend it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
MichaelBourne01, General Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us following your visit to Hilton Sydney.

It is wonderful to see that you were pleased with your experience at our hotel and we all look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

The only thing I can fault is the price but that seems to be the way in Australia. Everything is crazy expensive.

Excellent service, comfortable bed, staff were great. No complaints at all. I didn't eat at the hotel but the concierge gave me an awesome restaurant recommendation. This hotel is right in the middle of town so easy to wander around.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed September 2012
I appreciate your review following your stay at Hilton Sydney.

I was delighted that you enjoyed your overall experience and I hope we will have the pleasure of serving you again soon.

Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Located smack in the centre of the metropolis makes this a good choice. One can easily walk to all the mayor attractions of this great city. Otherwise, it is a fairly ordinary and somewhat expensive hotel. Would not hesitate to come back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your review about your stay at Hilton Sydney.

I was pleased to see that you would choose our hotel again and we look forward to welcoming you back, the next time your travels bring you to the area.

Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Normall when in Sydney I stay at the Intercontinental but this time it was fully booked. I was therefore booked into the Hilton on George Street. The Hilton is slap bang in the middle of the shopping district opposite Queen Victoria Mall. I found the room to be quite small and the bathroom was also small although the walk-in shower was spacious. The TV in the shower did not work however and the diverter valve for the rain shower did not work properly so the hand held shower gave better performance. The breakfast in the Glass Brasserie was however very good with a good selection and the service staff were courteous and helpful if not a little slow on deliver of coffee. For the price, the Intercontinental is a better option in my view. I also still not understand why, hotels charging top dollar insist on charging (a) for internet and (b) for bottled water. In this day and age this is quite ridiculous.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us on Trip Advisor.

I have taken your comments on board and appreciate your feedback, following your stay at Hilton Sydney.

I do hope we will have another opportunity to serve you again at some stage in the near future.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012 via mobile

I travel to Sydney regularly for work, but had never stayed at the Sydney Hilton before.

Only stayed here one night, but what a great hotel.

The staff were exceptionally polite and attentive. Nothing was too much trouble.

The room was very modern and well fit out.

The breakfast in the Glass restaurant was fantastic too. Normally, I can't stand any sort of hotel buffet, but this was great.

Without a doubt, my new Sydney hotel of choice.

• Stayed November 2012
MichaelBourne01, General Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for your lovely review following your stay at Hilton Sydney.

We continually strive to deliver the highest standard of service and I was pleased to learn that our hotel is your preferred choice of accommodation.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay!

Michael Bourne

Been to Hilton Sydney? Share your experiences!