“Great Stay in Sydney” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 177 Hotels in Sydney
Endicott, New York
“Great Stay in Sydney”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Stayed at the hotel on recent trip to Australia. The hotel is in a great location and up to the Hilton standard. The executive lounge was just remodeled and opened while I was there, very nice. Prices are a little high, but had GREAT food for a hotel, the breakfast buffet is FANTASTIC. I am a Hilton Diamond member so the breakfast was free, not sure what they charged. The gym at the hotel was amazing with modern equipment and a very nice lap pool. Will stay here everytime I am in Australia.....recommend to business and family traveler.

Room Tip: Ask for highest floor possible
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
MichaelBourne01, General Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you for your review following your stay at Hilton Sydney.

I appreciate your feedback and compliments and I hope you will come to visit us again when your travels next bring you to the area!

Michael Bourne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (517)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
North Island, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Also we found out near end of stay free shuttle to circular quay over the road from hotel.

Nice hotel once we discovered (next day) how to shut the curtain (hmm blinds) lol.

My family member found crumbs under the bed and made them vaccum the whole room but I thought it was pretty good.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
MichaelBourne01, General Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us on Trip Advisor.

I was pleased to read that you were happy with your overall stay; and our sincere apologies for the crumbs which you found under the bed - I have passed on your feedback to our Housekeeping Manager accordingly, to ensure our team clean and check the guestrooms thoroughly as expected.

I do hope we will see you again in the near future.

Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I recently spent one night in a King room here and saw a show at the Theatre Royal. The room was lovely: great contemporary decor, nice layout and very very clean. Room service food was really good and came in reasonable time, and the concierge was very helpful with arrangements for dinner nearby. I loved the location - right opposite the QVB. This hotel is of course expensive, but you tend to know that when making your booking... I would definitely stay there again when in Sydney.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your wonderful review.

It was our pleasure to serve you and we all look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Sydney when your travels bring you back to the area.

Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

As a frequent business traveller, I always try and stay loyal to certain hotel chains. In Sydney, I picked the Hilton Hotel to stay in for the past 12 weeks. Service was impeccable in the first couple of weeks, but I'm sad to say that it has consistently degraded since then.
It's not just about the little things such as courteous and helpful staff. Having rude people work for you and lie to your face is another matter.
One of the porters said that they have abolished the special check-in line for the Hilton Honors members and that I would have to queue with the rest.
In another incident, another porter tried to force his way into my room even though the "Do Not Disturb" light was on. He already used his key to get into my room by the time I reached the door. Luckily, the latch was on and he wasn't able to come in further. He said he urgently needed to get inside my room to look for a bag that was mistakenly placed in the wrong room.
Just tonight, I had to request for maintenance staff to fix the toilet paper holder that fell on my foot. Mind you, in the last 3 months, this is the 3rd time I had a room with a faulty toilet paper holder.
And twice this year, I was shocked to see rotting food in my bar fridge after I just checked in. Obviously, the housekeeping staff need to be a bit more thorough in cleaning.
In a couple of stays, I had to request engineering staff to fix the airconditioning since the temperature wouldn't budge below 24 degrees.
During a stay where I was upgraded to a suite, the panel covering the TV case fell on me as I reached for the remote. It was a 20cm by 60cm piece of wood, so it was quite a painful experience.
The front desk staff are not very friendly either. I know they're busy checking in customers all day, but wouldn't it hurt to smile a little bit on the job?
Complaints to the "Magic" number or the reception do not really garner any action. It's obvious that these staff do not take note of these incidents, and it reflects badly on the rest of the hotel staff.
I always try to be loyal to the Hilton brand because of the previous fantastic experience I've always had in my stays. The Hilton Adelaide and the Conrad Singapore are 2 top-notch hotels with spectacular staff and I'd never hesitate to book with them again.
With the Hilton Sydney, however, I'm not so sure. I've cancelled my upcoming stays for the rest of the year as I've had enough of having to put up with mediocre service. I always expect to get value for my money, and I don't think that this hotel cares about its long-term Hilton Honors Diamond members.
I'm sorry, but I'm staying at the Shangri-la from next week onwards.

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs because you can hear crying children from the next room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your review about your Hilton Sydney stay.

We were of course very disappointed to learn that you did not experience our usual five star level of service. Further to our apology note sent to you during your stay, we do sincerely apologise again and please rest assured that your comments and concerns have been taken very seriously and have been thoroughly investigated. We deeply regret any inconvenience and distress caused to you as a result.

We appreciate your loyalty as a Hilton Honors Diamond member and value your feedback. Thank you again for your time and I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hilton Sydney at some stage in the near future for a positively memorable stay.

Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Good Hilton quality, generous size rooms, super clean, bathroom however very small - ok for one person, but two people would not be able to be stand there together. Beware of minibar prices - 600ml water bottle cost $7.50!!!!. Food was absolutely beautiful and very fast reception - check and check out. Location of the hotel is great- right in the middle of city.

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Hilton Sydney.

I was very pleased that you enjyoed your stay with us and I hope to see you again in the not too distant future.

Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We had an overnight in the Sydney CBD for a family occasion. The Sydney Hilton was perfect as the event was held at Sydney Town Hall. Booked a Standard King room for a no frills overnight and were pleasantly surprised when upgraded to a King Suite upon arrival. The room overlooking the CBD and Town Hall was as always, clean comfortable with my favourite "rain forest" shower and "Aquaview" flatscreen tv in the shower-very entertaining! I have noticed an improved attitude from all staff, not that this was ever a real issue, but there seems to be a "what more can we do to make your stay better?" mindset at this top venue. Only downside? Didn't have time to take advantage of the high-tech workout studio or the Aqua centre with pool, sauna and spa. Again, will always be a fan, even though dining options could still be better...

Room Tip: Executive floor is always the best option but as an HH member booking a standard room, always ask f...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review about your recent stay at Hilton Sydney.

We continually strive to exceed our guests' expectations and I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your experience with us.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Good location, average hotel compared to others in Sydney that I have stayed in.

The hotel overall is ok. It has clean rooms, is in a great location, but the hotel felt a little "worn". For a business hotel it would be fine, however, I would personally not recommend the hotel for leisure purposes unless the location was the most important factor. The staff were ok, but did not go that extra mile I would usually expect in a Hilton property.

Overall, an average experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
MichaelBourne01, General Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Thank you for your comments about your stay at Hilton Sydney.

Whilst I was sorry to learn that you felt our staff did not go the extra mile during your stay, we appreciate your feedback and observations as they help us to monitor whether we are meeting our guests’ expectations. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly should you wish to provide more detailed feedback about your experience.

Again, thank you for your time and I hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Hilton Sydney in the near future.