“Excellent location, great room, very good service, $$” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Double HHonors Points
Ranked #37 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
Australia
“Excellent location, great room, very good service, $$”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I recently spent one night in a King room here and saw a show at the Theatre Royal. The room was lovely: great contemporary decor, nice layout and very very clean. Room service food was really good and came in reasonable time, and the concierge was very helpful with arrangements for dinner nearby. I loved the location - right opposite the QVB. This hotel is of course expensive, but you tend to know that when making your booking... I would definitely stay there again when in Sydney.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
MichaelBourne01, General Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Many thanks for your wonderful review.

It was our pleasure to serve you and we all look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Sydney when your travels bring you back to the area.

Michael Bourne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (435)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

As a frequent business traveller, I always try and stay loyal to certain hotel chains. In Sydney, I picked the Hilton Hotel to stay in for the past 12 weeks. Service was impeccable in the first couple of weeks, but I'm sad to say that it has consistently degraded since then.
It's not just about the little things such as courteous and helpful staff. Having rude people work for you and lie to your face is another matter.
One of the porters said that they have abolished the special check-in line for the Hilton Honors members and that I would have to queue with the rest.
In another incident, another porter tried to force his way into my room even though the "Do Not Disturb" light was on. He already used his key to get into my room by the time I reached the door. Luckily, the latch was on and he wasn't able to come in further. He said he urgently needed to get inside my room to look for a bag that was mistakenly placed in the wrong room.
Just tonight, I had to request for maintenance staff to fix the toilet paper holder that fell on my foot. Mind you, in the last 3 months, this is the 3rd time I had a room with a faulty toilet paper holder.
And twice this year, I was shocked to see rotting food in my bar fridge after I just checked in. Obviously, the housekeeping staff need to be a bit more thorough in cleaning.
In a couple of stays, I had to request engineering staff to fix the airconditioning since the temperature wouldn't budge below 24 degrees.
During a stay where I was upgraded to a suite, the panel covering the TV case fell on me as I reached for the remote. It was a 20cm by 60cm piece of wood, so it was quite a painful experience.
The front desk staff are not very friendly either. I know they're busy checking in customers all day, but wouldn't it hurt to smile a little bit on the job?
Complaints to the "Magic" number or the reception do not really garner any action. It's obvious that these staff do not take note of these incidents, and it reflects badly on the rest of the hotel staff.
I always try to be loyal to the Hilton brand because of the previous fantastic experience I've always had in my stays. The Hilton Adelaide and the Conrad Singapore are 2 top-notch hotels with spectacular staff and I'd never hesitate to book with them again.
With the Hilton Sydney, however, I'm not so sure. I've cancelled my upcoming stays for the rest of the year as I've had enough of having to put up with mediocre service. I always expect to get value for my money, and I don't think that this hotel cares about its long-term Hilton Honors Diamond members.
I'm sorry, but I'm staying at the Shangri-la from next week onwards.

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs because you can hear crying children from the next room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
MichaelBourne01, General Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you for sharing your review about your Hilton Sydney stay.

We were of course very disappointed to learn that you did not experience our usual five star level of service. Further to our apology note sent to you during your stay, we do sincerely apologise again and please rest assured that your comments and concerns have been taken very seriously and have been thoroughly investigated. We deeply regret any inconvenience and distress caused to you as a result.

We appreciate your loyalty as a Hilton Honors Diamond member and value your feedback. Thank you again for your time and I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hilton Sydney at some stage in the near future for a positively memorable stay.

Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

Good Hilton quality, generous size rooms, super clean, bathroom however very small - ok for one person, but two people would not be able to be stand there together. Beware of minibar prices - 600ml water bottle cost $7.50!!!!. Food was absolutely beautiful and very fast reception - check and check out. Location of the hotel is great- right in the middle of city.

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Hilton Sydney.

I was very pleased that you enjyoed your stay with us and I hope to see you again in the not too distant future.

Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We had an overnight in the Sydney CBD for a family occasion. The Sydney Hilton was perfect as the event was held at Sydney Town Hall. Booked a Standard King room for a no frills overnight and were pleasantly surprised when upgraded to a King Suite upon arrival. The room overlooking the CBD and Town Hall was as always, clean comfortable with my favourite "rain forest" shower and "Aquaview" flatscreen tv in the shower-very entertaining! I have noticed an improved attitude from all staff, not that this was ever a real issue, but there seems to be a "what more can we do to make your stay better?" mindset at this top venue. Only downside? Didn't have time to take advantage of the high-tech workout studio or the Aqua centre with pool, sauna and spa. Again, will always be a fan, even though dining options could still be better...

Room Tip: Executive floor is always the best option but as an HH member booking a standard room, always ask f...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review about your recent stay at Hilton Sydney.

We continually strive to exceed our guests' expectations and I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your experience with us.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Good location, average hotel compared to others in Sydney that I have stayed in.

The hotel overall is ok. It has clean rooms, is in a great location, but the hotel felt a little "worn". For a business hotel it would be fine, however, I would personally not recommend the hotel for leisure purposes unless the location was the most important factor. The staff were ok, but did not go that extra mile I would usually expect in a Hilton property.

Overall, an average experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
MichaelBourne01, General Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Thank you for your comments about your stay at Hilton Sydney.

Whilst I was sorry to learn that you felt our staff did not go the extra mile during your stay, we appreciate your feedback and observations as they help us to monitor whether we are meeting our guests’ expectations. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly should you wish to provide more detailed feedback about your experience.

Again, thank you for your time and I hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Hilton Sydney in the near future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I booked this Hilton for a couple reasons: 1) I have typically had good experience with Hilton and enjoyed some loyalty benefits through Hilton Honors and given Sydney does not have a Fairmont I thought I'd give them a chance to win back some business 2) the location would serve me well for my 10 day stay and associated meetings. Given the length of my business trip I wanted to establish a home base and a place that could welcome me after a long day of meeting of day-trip flights. While the rooms were small they were well appointed and had some interesting design features. The entire TV and entertainment system was a big disappointment. The TV was small and the interface was horribly slow and underwhelming for a high-end hotel. The wireless Internet was the most inconsistent I have ever used...especially for $29 a day.

That said...the food selection was good, cafe and breakfast buffet was expensive but very fresh. Staff were very good for the most part however when I checked in I asked if someone from business development could contact me about future stays and corporate rate. 2 days later - no call so I called again. I was told it was an oversight and someone would call or email within the day. 7 days later I finally got an email. Too little too late. Thus the missed opportunity.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
MichaelBourne01, General Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us following your recent stay.

I was happy to learn that you were pleased with your overall stay and have noted your feedback pertaining to the television and internet connection.

We are passionate about providing exceptional service to our guests; therefore it was rather disappointing to learn that you received a slow response to your enquiry, following your request to our Business Development team. Please rest assured I have shared your valuable feedback with the team to ensure we deliver on our promises and we apologise for the level of service you experienced on this occasion.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Hilton Sydney in the not too distant future, for an experience that is remembered for all the right reasons.

Sincerely
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Stayed here on the 20th October in an executive club room due to the boyfriend being an honors member. Room was small but well set out and had everything we needed. You can't remove anything from the mini bar without being charged, however you can request a small fridge. Phoned concierge to have one brought up but they were out, lucky enough were given permission to take out a few items to allow room for our personal items. Executive lounge was being renovated however the space was good and staff friendly as and filled me up enough to wait for dinner at 8:30. After dinner tried to get into zeta bar which they tried to charge us for before showing our room key we were apologized to and let in for free. The bed is two king singles pushed together and uncomfortable unless you ask for an overlay, why not just place on bed to start with?
Overall stay was amazing good location however still waiting for our bond to be returned have called four times with the same response we have faxed the paperwork to the bank... Not happy and when asked to speak to the front office manager have been told they are always busy. Working in the resort industry myself I would only return here for the location there are cheaper and nicer places to stay.

• Stayed October 2012
Many thanks for your review following your recent stay with us.

It was wonderful to learn that your stay was pleasant and we appreciate your comments.

I have noted the delay you’ve experienced surrounding the pre-authorisation charge being withheld and we sincerely regret any inconvenience caused. This release is however dependent upon the bank you are with and can take up to 14 working days in some cases. Whilst we do the best we can on our part to notify and advise the bank for the release of such funds, this is ultimately outside of our control and again, we deeply regret any inconvenience this has caused you.

I will also review with the team the manner in which we have handled your request as we are never too busy for our guests and I am sorry you were under this impression.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback and I hope we will have the pleasure and privilege of welcoming you back to Hilton Sydney at some stage in the near future.

Sincerely

Michael Bourne

Been to Hilton Sydney? Share your experiences!