“A bit scruffy around the edges” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Vibe Hotel Sydney

You added Vibe Hotel Sydney to your Saves list
Vibe Hotel Sydney
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   111 Goulburn Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Ranked #74 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
Jan Juc, Australia
“A bit scruffy around the edges”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Unfortunately most of my issues with this hotel came down to the human factor. When checking into out Twin room which we had confirmed twice on the phone, we were told we had been put in a King room. When we got to the room it turned out to be Twin after-all. We were also told that the booking had been made for one person which was not true.
The room itself was okay although the hot tap in the shower was broken. We requested maintenance to fix it but it wasn't for the duration of our stay.
The room was clean and the housekeeping staff were lovely when I met them in the corridor.
There just seems to be a lack of communication throughout the hotel.

• Stayed March 2013
JoanneJenkins, General Manager at Vibe Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback. We undergoing several minor refurbishment programmes from now till 30 June so I'm hopeful these will enhance the guest experience.

Joanne Jenkins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Had a three day conference in Sydney by myself so stayed at Vibe as it was close and inexpensive. The decor is a little strong but was tidy and clean. I was upgraded to a better room at no charge, which was nice. Was on the eighth floor with a view of the abandoned building next door. Generally no problems with the room. In room dinning menu had a good range and price was reasonable. Food was of a good quality too. Just a few issues with missing items like breakfast order forms, toast and the lack of bath robes. Overall I thought it was reasonable value and would probably rate it at three and a half.

Room Tip: The higher rooms will keep you away from the noise of the busy traffic below.
Dear Guest

We appreciate your review and I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay.

With thanks
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Let me start by saying that any hotel that does the first of my issues always loses points from me.

As someone who travels to Sydney a lot I get the opportunity to stay at various hotels. The vibe is probably high on the list however a few things let it down which is sad given the price and star rating.

Pro's:
Location is awesome, minutes from Chinatown and the city centre.
Good size rooms
Nice clean lobby
Good water pressure in shower (something that I struggle to find lately)

Cons:
TWO SINGLE BEDS TOGETHER IS NOT A QUEEN/KING BED!!! All it does it create an uncomfortable ridge in the middle that is hard and annoying!! (See disclaimer at start of my review)
Shower/tap arrangement worn out hard to get shower to work
After hours room service is fixed menu that can't be changed. I arrived late evening and was hungry however due to allergies and the fact that the order could not be customised (things removed) I was unable to order anything, this meant having to walk around at midnight to try and find food.

The hotel is ok, but given its star rating and price you world expect more.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear jamesthom

Thanks for your review and the pro's and con's. We are working toward being great instead of good!

For your information most hotels have king zipper beds that provide flexibility for two singles or a king, they have a zipper to join the two beds together so for the record they aren't just pushed together. If you are thinking of staying again you can request a queen and I'll make sure you get one.

Thanks again, we appreciate your feedback!

Melbourne, VIC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

The vent is dripping condensate on the bed. This room is unhygenic and quite frankly unacceptable. The staff are unwilling or unable to change my room. If I had not arrived tired and late I would have gone elsewhere. This is not what you should expect in a developed country for the price paid. Rooms should not be allowed to grow this much mould.

Dear Guest

I'm really sorry about your experience, I've contacted you via the TripAdvisor mail system to get more information and hopefully put things right.

Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stayed 3 nights last week for a conference and found this hotel perfectly adequate. The gym and rooftop pool were tiny but still a bonus for an inner city hotel. It was located near lots of great restaurants, I felt safe in the area and it was walking distance to the major business district. The rooms were large with a sofa and sitting area, bathroom behind a partition that helped block out light if anybody else in the room is still sleeping and decor was hip.

Dear Guest

Many thanks for your review, I'm glad you enjoyed your stay! I hope we will see you again soon!

Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Tired looking rooms, upside is they are clean.
Rude & abrupt front office staff. I do not make this statement lightly, those girls displayed no customer services skills at all. I arrived Thursday arvo and was heckled for my CC, i advised this was a work trip and gave travel agent info to confirm. After more heckling and no apologies they finally advised all was well and everything paid for including meals.
I requested a room on a higher floor as i am a light sleeper and was told, in no uncertain terms that they would not entertain this request - no reason why. Not happy at this lack of courtesy & unprofessionalism. I can take a no but i cannot stand being dismissed when i am a paying customer.
The staff in the restaurant however were fantastic. They would have bent over backwards to meet my needs, what a contrast. In short, I will never ever stay here again and will not be recommending this hotel.

Room Tip: Request a room on a high floor. This hotel is right in the CBD, there is traffic all hours.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
JoanneJenkins, General Manager at Vibe Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Dear Melania S

I have contacted you via the Trip Advisor message system and hope to hear from you soon.

Brisbane
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I travel for business and the usual places I stay were full so I was booked into Vibe. It was my first and last stay there. Rooms are well worn and it looks like a halfhearted renovation job was carried out several years ago. There are a lot better options available than this. The room I had was quiet but I can't say much more than that as I was only in the room for about 8 hours.

Dear Guest

Thanks for your review. We are undertaking some refurbishment programmes from now till 30 June which will enhance the guest experience.

Joanne Jenkins

Been to Vibe Hotel Sydney? Share your experiences!