“Ideally located” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Vibe Hotel Sydney

You added Vibe Hotel Sydney to your Saves list
Vibe Hotel Sydney
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   111 Goulburn Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Ranked #73 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
Wodonga, Australia
“Ideally located”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

This was our first trip to Sydney so weren't real sure about the location of the Vibe Hotel, Sydney. We flew to Sydney and caught the train to the Museum Station - from there the Vibe Hotel was a short walk away. (we used the wrong exit and had to lug our heavy cases up the stairs so make sure you ask for directions to the exit with escalators). I had booked for 2 nights about 2 months before our visit and were surprised when we went to our allocated room that somebody was already inside. After a bit of discussion with the occupant as to who should be in the room we returned to reception. The manager upgraded our room and we were flabbergasted to find our new room was a "Star Suite" - grand piano, 2 big rooms, great view etc. (a real surprise!!). We had just spent the week prior staying in a resort in NorthQueensland and were caught off guard by the constant drone of sirens from ambulances and fire trucks from the nearby Fire Station. We definitely appreciated the upgrade though.
The pool area on the top floor was a nice spot to go and sit and have a quiet drink. However, breakfast was very expensive ($23 or $29 compared to Melbourne prices of $17) so we went elsewhere and ended up eating dinner across the road at a hotel which had excellent, inexpensive meals. (The Curve Restaurant was too expensive and lacked ambience) We felt very safe at the Vibe and it is ideally located with the free 555 bus available nearby as is the Museum Train Station. I went for a sauna one night and was disappointed that it wasn't working. Overall, was a pleasant enough experience.
The only downfall was in relation to some of the reception staff - 1 male and 1 female. When asked questions about the cost of a further stay at the Vibe within the Star Suite we were confronted with quite an ambivalent responsë öf ""it depends on the night"" and then we were readily dismissed while the female staff member answered the phone and then after speaking on the phone attended to another arrival to Reception. The male staff member had huge difficulties in active listening with us having to repeat questions a number of times - he also showed very real signs of not really being interested in what we were asking - it also appeared as he was used to having a script and when questions were not usual ones, he was uncertain as to how to answer.
Both of us are professional people involved with working with children, young people and adults and have throughout the time attended professional development programmes in regard to active listening, communication and social skills - maybe this is something Vibe Management could organize for the staff. There was one young woman who was extremely helpful when we realized our room had been allocated to someone else - she ensured we were attended to immediately by the Manager - unfortunately we are not aware of her name as she should be congratulated and rewarded for her excellent customer service.

Room Tip: Only stayed once at the Vibe and have not sighted the other rooms.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
JoanneJenkins, General Manager at Vibe Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear Michael M

Thank you so much for your detailed review of Vibe Sydney, I am very happy that Timo was able to upgrade you to the Star Suite and that you enjoyed your stay.

If you are able, I would be grateful if you would contact me by email [jjenkins@toga.com.au] so that I can get some further information regarding your stay. The team member you refer to that should be congratulated is Neha and we will certainly do so.

With thanks
Joanne Jenkins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

The hotel is centrally located.The rooms are very large with modern amenities.I with my husband stayed here for 4 nights.Service staffs of the hotel are very cordial.Breakfast dishes are appreciable.Monorail station is very nearby to the hotel.Over all I can say regarding this hotel that staying here is a good value of money.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
JoanneJenkins, General Manager at Vibe Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Rabindra M

Thanks for your recent review, we appreciate it and hope we will see you again when you are next in Sydney.

WIth thanks
Joanne
Assam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I stayed there with my family in a family room and considering generally that a family consist of two adults and two children the room size was small on the other hand the room service was good and the front desk too.Morning breaksfast was also good with many varities.The location was also very good near to tram and bus stops.

Room Tip: if a family book two doube bed rooms instead ofa family room and if possible ask the front desk to g...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear rajtrips

Thanks for your great review. If you are interested in larger family style rooms we have another hotel brand Adina Apartment Hotels that offer dedicated two bedroom apartments in Sydney which may suit you better.

I hope we can be of assistance on your next visit to Sydney and thank you for complimenting our breakfast, room service and front desk.

Joanne
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I have stayed at the Vibe on a number of occasions. It is good value for money. It pays to look for the special rates sometimes on offer. The rooms are very spacious, clean and modern. The pool is on the roof which isn't always convenient in poor weather and a bit small. The lift doesn not go all the way up to the lift - need to navigate stairs from level 9 to the gym or pool. The buffet breakfast was one of the best I have had in a hotel. The only issue I have had is the poor communication between the restaurant and front office staff. After paying for the breakfast on check in the information had not bee passed onto the restaurant staff resulting in a cross examination on entry to breakfast.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
CasparSchmidt, General Manager at Vibe Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Marie5213,

Thank you for your kind feedback regarding Vibe Hotel Sydney.
We really appreciate your feedback and are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your room as well as breakfast and the public areas.
We will make sure we communicate the information to the teams about the payment of breakfast upon check in. This should always be communicated between the departments so the operation runs smoothly.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

The hotel was pretty good, close to stations etc... I made the mistake of booking a twin (I thought I booked a queen...) so my husband and I just pushed the twin beds together... My fault so didn't complain or ask for a switch. Rooms are spacious enough, bathroom was modern and clean. The light above our mirror was blown which was a pain.... Don't expect many views out your windows. Quite a few high rises blocking views, AND remember to always have the sheer curtain closed!!!! I could see right into the offices across from me and I figure they could see me too.... I figured this out just before I started getting changed (luckily).
The pool upstairs is lovely, would be awesome on a nice day/night HOWEVER, be very very very very very careful stepping out to the pool. It's almost like climbing though a window. When I stepped back inside I tripped and it's looking like I torn my groin :-( I mentioned this to the reception staff, I figured they would get me to fill out an incident report as the step through to the pool really isn't safe. All she said was that she would notify maintenance staff. As I was in too much pain and really quite upset I didn't push it. Got back home yesterday and need to book in with a sports doctor asap... My other issue with Vibe is that they make you pay for a late check out. I think this is crazy!!! If the hotel isn't busy it should be free. It's $30 per hour!!!!!!!!!!!! We had a super late flight home want wanted to check out a couple of hours later, $60 for a 1pm check out is not on.
Overall: it's a good hotel if you use it as your base. I recommend you have brekkie at Aero cafe on George st as it's awesome and a good price. Rooms have a little wear and tear, almost like a few corners were cut eg power outlet falling out of the wall, key slot on the door misaligned etc... Location is ok, between central station and museum, my husband and I are super fit so we were happy to walk the 2km to the harbor. Taxi fair from airport was $23 (much more economical that a train ride... would have been $15.90 each for my husband and I).
I may have stayed there again if someone had dealt with the pool tripping issue properly. It wasn't like a slipped or fell on a safe surface. (I have pictures to show what I tripped on.) Next time I will probably stay closer to the harbor.

Room Tip: Check your booking closely and be VERY VERY careful going in and out of the pool area. Don't le...
Dear Jodie_L_Hart

Thank you for your recent review of Vibe Sydney, I’d appreciate if you could contact me to discuss your stay, jjenkins@toga.com.au or 02 82723300.

Joanne Jenkins
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

We stayed two nights with four people in the room. It was what they would call a family room with one King bed and two single beds facing towards large TV with paytv and in room movies. Extremely large wardrobe which also had the fully stocked mini bar fridge.
The bath/shower was spacious with four towels supplied and iron/ironing board.
Close to eveything, short walk to Darling Harbour, Chinatown, Circular Quay, high end retail, George St nightlife, and where we wanted to be which was the Boutanic Garden for the Carols in the Domain. This is a prime place to be staying if you want to see as much of the city as you can. Its clean, its comfortable and its affordable.
There is a restaurant/bar in this hotel or there is a pub directly across the road.
This room didnt have too much of a view however thats not a big issue for me as a frequent traveller to Sydney and also you are there to explore not stare out a window. There are rooms with views if this concerns you by reading previous reviews.
overall it was an excellent stay and we were all very pleased with the room and staff were friendly!

Room Tip: higher floors would have the better view there are also suites in this hotel not just run of house r...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
CasparSchmidt, General Manager at Vibe Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Dear Amylee91,
Thank you for your feedback about Vibe Hotel Sydney.
We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay.
I will share your feedback with the team today.
We look forward to welcoming you back again in the very near future. Have a great 2013.

Halifax, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Not too far a walk down to the Opera House et al, we stayed in room 808 which was a suite and massive it was too. Fantastic experience with great views. Quite a small hotel though, served by the adjacent cafe where you can get a good selection of drinks and food. Breakfast served in the room was missing something each day amusingly, but we managed without the odd glass of orange juice and milk for the tea...

Nice small pool on the ninth floor with a lovely sun lounging area - very private with towels etc

Good facilities and clean place.

Room Tip: The suites are massive if you can get a good deal.
Dear Andrew F,

Thank you kindly for your feedback regarding Vibe Hotel Sydney. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you found our suites to be large and comfortable.
I have related your comments about the missing items for your room service to the F&B Manager so that this can be rectified at once.
We apologise for this missing and would like to offer you a free breakfast next time you are visiting again. Have a great 2013 and we hope to see you soon again.

Vibe Hotel Sydney

Been to Vibe Hotel Sydney? Share your experiences!