“A Colorful and Elegant Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cambridge Hotel Sydney

Save Saved
You added Cambridge Hotel Sydney to your Saves list
Cambridge Hotel Sydney
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   212 Riley Street | Surry Hills, Sydney, New South Wales 2010, Australia (Formerly Quality Hotel)   |
Special Offer
Free Wi-Fi
Ranked #44 of 182 hotels in Sydney
Los Angeles, California
“A Colorful and Elegant Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Cambridge Hotel has a lot of welcoming and charming character. One is greeted by entering what feels like a conceptual art piece about light and movement. It creates a feeling of sophistication, playfulness and EASE. The aesthetics are a feast for the eyes. The room I stayed in was so spacious and had an amazing view of Sydney.
Gary, the manager was so elegantly groomed and good natured. I appreciated the warmth he and Marina exhibited welcoming me to my temporary home.
The neighborhood has a terrific array of good coffee shops and little boutiques. The Cambridge isn't too far from the airport-so it was all easy and a very helpful staff that makes for more EASE.
Victoria

Room Tip: I had a beautiful s p a c i o u s room 1308. It had a divine view of Sydney.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
CambridgeHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Dear Victoria,
Thank you very much for taking your time to share your great comments regarding your recent stay at the Cambridge Hotel.
I am very glad to hear that you had a wonderful time at the Cambridge Hotel and that you felt very welcomed by our friendly staff.
Your lovely comments have been passed onto our entire team, as it is comments like yours that boost and motivate our team to keep up their good work.
I am also very pleased that you enjoyed the design of the hotel and its surrounding cafes and shops.
Once again, thank you for your great feedback and we look very much forward to welcoming you back to the Cambridge Hotel.
Warm regards,

1,275 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Korean first
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Good things: the location to the shops and restaurant of Surry Hills, the rooms are spacious, the bed/pillows were super comfortable, the staff were eager to please and ensure you have comfortable stay. Got the distict impression that they are trying to lift their game in the customer service area - we were able to check-in early, our broken kettle was replaced instantly, complementary late check-out when our flight was postponed. Couldn't fault the friendly staff.

The not so good: the airconditioner seemed to do it's own thing regardless of what setting it was on. It was a problem for me but not for my husband so maybe not for others.

This is a solid four-star hotel and I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
CambridgeHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear Andrew and Jessie,
Thank you very much for your recent stay and for taking your time to leave your comments with us regarding your stay.
I am not able to see which room you stayed in so I would appreciate it if you could send me an email directly to steven@cambridgehotel.com.au, so we can rectify the issues you experiences with the air-conditioning.
I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and the location and that you had a very comfortable stay with us. I am also very pleased to hear that the improvements in the customer service were felt and that you found the staff friendly and eager to help you in any way.
Once again, thank you for sharing your feedback with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Cambridge hotel again in the near future.
Warm regards,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for three nights and were extremely happy with our room. It was clean and large enough for the two of us. The bed was comfortable and noise levels were what you would expect for a busy hotel in a busy city centre. I would definitely stay here again for the price and the Hotel's excellent location.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Nics70,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at the Cambridge hotel and thank you for taking your time to share your feedback with us.

I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your room and cleanliness, and that you had a comfortable stay.

I am also pleased to know that you will happily stay here again, we therefore look forward to welcoming you back to the Cambridge hotel again soon.

Warm Regards
montrealbis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I stayed there for a week. I had a deluxe room with balcony. It was large (very large!), confortable, and with a nice balcony onlooking a small street. Overall, it was moderatly quiet (lots of street noise on Friday and Saturday evenings, due to partying around). But, it was very much within the bounds of acceptable. However, I noticed some construction work in the street, and I believe people facing the street must have had much more noise. The room was furnished with a very confortable bed, a nice sofa and a desk chair and desk, which was nice to work on. Everything was very clean. There was also a minibar and a fridge, and coffee and tea in the room. The bathroom is small but functional.
I regret that wifi is so expensive (13$ per day for a 3 day contract...). Furthermore, I found the staff efficient, but not overly welcoming. After a week, you would imagine that the staff would reckognize me at the front entrance, but no one ever said 'hi' in a week. You get regular (and annoying) phone calls from the reception asking you if everything is OK.
Overall, I would stay there again, because it is a great location, with an acceptable price.

Room Tip: I have not visited the fitness center and spa
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear jerry68bis,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback with us regarding your recent stay with us at the Cambridge Hotel.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your large, comfortable room & balcony, and that you were happy with the location and price.

I am disappointed to hear that you felt the WIFI was expensive, as we just implemented a new internet system specifically to make the price a competitive pricing for Sydney standards. I am also upset to hear that you did not feel the staff lived up to your expectations and that you felt the hotel did not have character. The Cambridge Hotel is an independent boutique hotel and the departments and their respective management teams, including myself, do a lot to come up with innovative proposals and solutions in order to best meet the needs of our guests. We put emphasis on individualised service and it disappoints me to hear that you did not experience the standard of service we are known for.

I am glad to hear that you will stay with us again, and we therefore look forward to welcoming you back and show you the standard of service we are known for.

Holland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We stayed here in August and our first impression was a modern well run Hotel.
On arrivel we noticed construction work on the neighbouring building outside and the Western wing of the hotel, and heared it to.
We were assured it was the last day of construction so no worries about noise etc.
Next morning at 7:30 however we found out that was not the case, but after a sleepy/cranky phonecall the staff managed to relocate us to another room and did not charge us for the room. A very good and acceptable arrangement.
Overall the room was large, clean with good showers and other facilities.
Housekeeping made sure that everyday our room looked like new.
We had some problems with the keycards not working and a crooked TV but all in all staff managed to resolve it in a day or two so it really looked like they were making the extra effort.
Also very attentive when it comes to recommendations for restaurants, sightseeingtours and other adventures.
Its a hotel to be recommended and we would not mind staying here again in the near future.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
CambridgeHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear Dutch Knight,
Thank you very much for taking your time to share your feedback with us, regarding your recent stay at the Cambridge Hotel Sydney.
I apologise for the inconvenience you faced during your stay with us, but I am pleased that you felt the staff dealt with all the issues in a friendly and professional way. I am glad that you called the staff immediately so they were able to relocate you to another room straight away.
I am also pleased that you were satisfied with the housekeeping services, hotel facilities, and the knowledgeable staff.
Once again, thank you very much for sharing your comments with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel again soon.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stayed in a twin double room which was more than adequate for our purpose of seeing a show in Sydney. Price was excellent at $135. A balcony off our room faced the city and also looked directly out to the Sydney Police Headquarters, so you would expect to be relatively safe in this precinct. It is hard to avoid city noise in the inner city areas but we did not worry too much about this. It is close to Oxford Street where we caught buses to all of our destinations after purchasing Travel 10's (ten rides) from a 7eleven store.

The hotel supplies a breakfast pack for one person if you need it for around $10 (includes a little cereal, packaged fruit, milk and juice).The room and bathroom were exceptionally clean and towels and toiletries were adequate. Slept well here. Rooms have been updated and are modern.

Carpark not easy to navigate and only good for small cars. This was my only time of stress whilst staying here but for $26 a night I made the effort.

Staff were pleasant and willing to assist with any enquiry! Would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
CambridgeHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear Ged4,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at the Cambridge Hotel Sydney and you taking your time to share your feedback with us.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and the location, and that you had a comfortable stay.

I am also glad that you had a good experience with our friendly and knowledgeable staff.

Once again, thank you for your lovely comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Cambridge Hotel in the near future.

Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

I stay at the Cambridge at least once a month for work. The staff have laways been insanely friendly. From the people on the front desk to the housekeeping staff to the dining room staff. Everyone acknowledges you and says hi.

The rooms are spacious, nicely decorated and modern. The beds are super comfy. I left a note in my room one morning asking for a softer pillow and came back to find 6 different fresh pillows on my bed with a lovely little note. The bathrooms are modern and spotless.

Some of the rooms at the moment have a lovely view of some scafolding of the building next door that is being worked on and others have a totally dud view altogether, but others even give you a glimpse of the Opera House.

The company I work for runs conferences there too and again, the staff are fantastic and the catering is great.

The Cambridge is located a street away from the iconic Crown Street which is jam packed with awesome restaurants and cafes and pubs. It's also just around the corner from Kings Cross too and within easy walking distance of 2 train stations (Central and Museum.......I think).

I would highly recommend the Cambridge.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the Harbour side at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear Geoffreyallan,
Thank you very much for your recent stay at the Cambridge Hotel and for taking your time to share your feedback with us.
I am so pleased to hear that a guest who has stayed with us so many times is recommending the Cambridge in such a wonderful manner.
I am glad to know that our guests are acknowledged and feel at home at the Cambridge. It delights me to hear that the time and effort our staff puts into customer service and innovative solutions are appreciated by our guests.
Once again, thank you for your wonderful comments regarding you stays at the Cambridge and we always look forward to welcoming you back again.
Steven Gargano

Been to Cambridge Hotel Sydney? Share your experiences!