“very nice rooms, friendly staff and great location!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cambridge Hotel Sydney

You added Cambridge Hotel Sydney to your Saves list
Cambridge Hotel Sydney
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   212 Riley Street | Surry Hills, Sydney, New South Wales 2010, Australia (Formerly Quality Hotel)   |
Special Offer
Free Wi-Fi
Ranked #44 of 185 Hotels in Sydney
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Honolulu
“very nice rooms, friendly staff and great location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

we were unsatisfied with this other hotel we were in and so we looked online and were very happy to stumble upon this hotel. Very nice and clean rooms, friendly and VERY helpful staff at the front desk and great location. we appreciated the radio that charged and played our itouch. I especially appreciate the kind, genuine and helpful service from front desk receptionists Evelyn, Ashleigh and Lee. They left a great impression on me, whenever I had a question they had answers, if they didn't know the answer, they went the extra mile to research and find out the answers for me. This made our trip run very smoothly and more enjoyable.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
CambridgeHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, June 13, 2011
Dear Juli808,

I am glad to hear you have chosen the Cambridge Hotel for your recent stay in Sydney. Thank you so much for your comments. The staff works extremely hard to ensure guest satisfaction and the mentioned team members have been really happy to receive such wonderful comments. I am also happy to hear that the standard and services of the room has been to your satisfaction.
Again thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming back to the hotel.

Kind regards,

Steven Gargano

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Korean first
Perth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

A truly pleasurable experience at this fine hotel. I researched prices and locations for many hotels, and I am so pleased I finally decided on the Cambridge Hotel on Riley St. I saw the locations and exteriors of many of the hotels I could have stayed in, and was pleased that I picked this one. The location is excellent. From the Airport you can get on the shuttle bus, or even taxi (for the same price as the shuttle at $25). Check in was pleasant, and the reception staff are always willing to offer assistance. The room was very adequate, clean and reasonably modern for Sydney. Some Foxtel channels are offered. The location two streets back from the lower end (City side) of Oxford st means you are close to walk to the City, Opera house, Kings Cross, Darling Harbour, and Darlinghurst (for shopping). Their is a Convenience store 5 mins walk from the hotel, many restaurants around the surrounding streets of the Cambridge and a fantastic internet cafe. Although I understand their was internet available in the hotel lobby, but I did not check its prices, as I was very happy with the Cafe close by. The Hotel does have a restaurant, which I tried for dinner, and it was good. Never tried the breakfast. Overall, a pleasant hotel, with friendly staff, and a great location to boot. Only downside was Housekeeping leaving all the dirty linen (Packed in bags) outside the rooms, but not a major issue. I will without a doubt stay here again on my next trip to Sydney.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
CambridgeHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, June 10, 2011
Dear DazPerth,

Thank you for your positive review and thank you for choosing the Cambridge Hotel for your place to stay in Sydney. I am glad to hear we have met your expectations in regards to service, standard of the rooms and the surroundings. It is always a pleasure to hear if someone has an enjoyable time at the Cambridge. I will pass on your raised concern regarding the linen bags outside the room at the next manager meeting.

Again thank you for choosing the Cambridge Hotel for your recent stay. I look forward to seeing you soon again at the Cambridge.

Kind Regards

Post Falls, Idaho
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

Hotel is not in the greatest of locations but not the worst. Staff was very friendly, over-the-top helpful when asked, but service was average otherwise. Pricey for what we got for room: VERY small room; twin beds almost butted up against each other, refrigerator but no dresser/drawers. Great shower (wonderfully hot water), but bare of amenities standard to a 4-star hotel. Simply a clean room with beds, plus refrig and instant coffee. Pricey Internet, very small tv. Put up with noisy bar crowds at night. Short walk (lots of hills in this area) to get to metro line. We stayed 4 nights but probably would check out other options next time.

• Stayed May 2011
Dear H2osafety,

Thank you for choosing the Cambridge Hotel, for your recent stay in Sydney.
I would also like to thank you for the time that you have spared in posting your comments about your recent stay. Only through guest feedback can we ascertain what we are doing right and where we can further develop, it definitely motivates us to maintain and improve our standard of service and hospitality. Our team is always striving to achieve the highest of guest satisfaction.
Once again, thank you once again for your feedback. We will always be waiting to welcoming you, your family and your friends back home to The Quality Hotel Cambridge in the very near future.

Kind regards

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

Often visit Sydney to shop, go out on oxford st and visit friends. Used to shop around but always stay here now. Brilliant location, but the rooms are modern clean and pretty spacious. Always have a great time and find the staff very friendly.

Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
CambridgeHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, June 5, 2011
Dear Totesridic,
I am so glad to hear you had an enjoyable time with us at the Cambridge Hotel. It is always nice to hear that we have met the expectations and I am delighted you call the Cambridge your home in Sydney now. Thank you for your nice comments and I look forward to welcoming you soon back to the Cambridge Hotel

Best Regads
General Manger
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

I have been staying at this hotel for the past year and a half for 2 nights at a time about 3 months apart. It is just ok - the service people are friendly and helpful. The rooms are ok but the sliding doors on the balcony rooms really need replacing - the are old and in a poor state. The beds are fine although some pillows without lumps would be good. The problem with Sydney is that hotels are expensive and this one is reasonable. Pretty quiet rooms unless you are around the pool area.

• Stayed May 2011
CambridgeHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, June 6, 2011
Dear Scott,
Thank you for choosing the Cambridge Hotel for your stays in Sydney. I am sorry to hear that there were a few disappointments after your recent stay. We are in the process of replacing sliding doors. Thank you for leaving your review on tripadvisor, it is only thru guest comments that we can improve our standard and service and it reflects what we do right and wrong. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Cambridge in the near future. Please contact me directly for your next stay.

Kind Regards

General Manger
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

I had stayed at The Cambridge at Christmas 2010 and had a good experience then so wanted to return. Both times I was there to visit a relative who was in Darlinghurst and then Redfern, so The Cambridge was well-located, in East Sydney between Darlinghurst and Surry Hills. It's just off the city end of Oxford Street so ideal for convenience shopping or if you are there for nightlife. For dining, Crown Street is only a couple of blocks away. The location is a decent walk from the nearest railway station (St James), especially with heavy luggage, but I imagine there are buses on Oxford, and taxis aren't hard to find. It's a pleasant stroll though Hyde Park into the city, or along Macquarie Street to the Opera House, and the hotel is a good base for exploring Sydney's eastern, inner-southern and inner-western suburbs. For those not familiar with Sydney, it's in a 'racy' but upmarket area and reasonably safe on the street.

It's not 'cheap' (compared to hostels) but not overly expensive either, and it is I think worth the money if you want somewhere comfortable and central and are prepared to spend a bit. It would I think suit business travellers.

My room at Easter was a Premium Queen Balcony, on an upper floor with very good views (see photos), but it was a bit pokier than the Deluxe Balcony I'd stayed in at Christmas which had similar views. The Premium Queen Balcony had a rather small bathroom and nowhere to put the electric jug (except on the floor next to the power point). By comparison, the Deluxe Balcony also had a small lounge area and an 'office' zone with a desk, which I didn't really need but gave the room a more spacious feel, and more importantly (for me) enough shelf space for said electric jug. Beds are comfortable and the rooms are well-appointed generally with tasteful decor. The balconies have low railings so care is required (not all rooms have balconies by the way)!

The service was efficient and friendly but non-intrusive and low-key - the desk staff were responsive when I told them that I couldn't get the TV set in my room to work, and it was fixed when I got back that night. Beyond the reception area, the hotel as a whole was very quiet and I rarely encountered other guests except in the lifts which are phone box-sized (you'd be struggling to fit more than three people in with no luggage).

All-up, good value with no serious drawbacks. Most of the other guests seemed to be families, fashionable types and international travellers (but not really 'backpackers' as such).

Room Tip: Choose the Deluxe rooms for the extra space!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
CambridgeHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, May 27, 2011
Dear MichaelG77,

It is always great to hear that the hotel was successful in making your stay comfortable. Thank you for choosing the Cambridge Hotel for your recent visit in Sydney. I am very glad to hear that we have met your expectations in regards to your room and the staff. It is with guest feedback that we are able to see what we do right and where we can improve. I am happy to hear that you have enjoyed Surry Hills and its surroundings with its easy access to the CBD and still far enough to experience the typical Sydney atmosphere without the touristy aspects. The closest train station is actually “Museum” which is even closer than “St James” and only a 5 minute walk from the Hotel situated just at the end of the beautiful Hyde Park, corner Elisabeth & Oxford St. In regards to the small elevator, there is another much bigger elevator just around the corner right next to the small elevator, it fits up to 12 people and has even enough space for 2 trolleys.

Once again thank you for staying with us and I hope we can welcome you, your family and friends soon back to the Cambridge Hotel.

Best regards

Little Rock
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

Over priced, the breakfast is awful, location is not good. Best to bring your electrical adapter, they do not loan any but they will sell you one for $15.00 AU. Breakfast is $14.95 AU per person and is sub par. Location is not good at all, be prepared to do lots of walking. Rooms are cleaned with sub par furniture and small selections on TV. $20 AU daily for Internet. close to Oxford street witth fast foods but no quality eateries or shopping. Closest train station is Museum station. Best to buy tours at Visitor Center at Darling Harbour instead of internet, much cheaper.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
CambridgeHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, May 26, 2011
Dear Papwillie,
Thank you for choosing the Cambridge Hotel for your recent stay in Sydney and for leaving your review on tripadvisor. It definitely motivates us to maintain and improve our standard of service and hospitality. Our team is always striving to achieve the highest of guest satisfaction. I am disappointed you were not satisfied with the location of the hotel and our breakfast buffet. The hotel is located in Surry Hills one of the neighbourhoods in Sydney and barely a 10 minutes’ walk into the city center and the QVB. Surry Hills is becoming more and more famous every year for the exquisite and outstanding restaurants , delis, cafes and bars especially on Crown St and enjoys the growing popularity and recognition not only from Sydneysiders but worldwide. We believe our full buffet breakfast for $ 14.95 is great value for money compared with other hotels in Sydney. I am sorry to hear you were not satisfied with the standard of furniture and the TV selection. We offer 14 free of charge T.V channels ( including sports, music, variety and family channels ) and to date have not encountered that this was not a wide enough selection, we will however investigate adding more channels to our selection. The hotel has been last refurbished in 2009 and we are constantly updating the furniture and equipment in the rooms to guarantee and provide the highest comfort and guest satisfaction.
Thanks again for staying with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the property

Warm regards

Steven Gargano

Been to Cambridge Hotel Sydney? Share your experiences!