“Expensive Holiday Inn, but what a view!” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #54 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
Paducah, Kentucky
“Expensive Holiday Inn, but what a view!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

If you are fortunate enough to rate a room on the front side of the hotel, you get to look out on Sydney harbor and the Opera House. The rooms are on the small side, but about what you would expect in a H.I. Breakfast buffet was upscale, that is to say, more than only English breakfast, and the coffee, like all the places I stayed in Australia was a level above US fare. Rooftop pool was advertised as heated, but it must have been passive solar, and it was winter, so...
The view from the roof level was pretty impressive , though, and included the Sydney Harbour bridge. Hotel laundry service was beyond expensive, but the coin-operated guest machines were only $2 with soap provided free.
Curious layout: no stairway accessibility other than emergency escape. It was elevators, or nothing.
Front desk was extremely helpful and friendly, and valet car park worked well. Walking distance to Opera House, Bridge, Botanic Gardens, and hotel is located in the Rocks area.

Room Tip: Ask for harbor view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
RSDarwin, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Old Sydney, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Mark S,

As a Senior Contributor thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the views from the hotel and the hotels buffet breakfast offering. Our pool is solar heated as you have indicated and on some very overcast days occasionally the pool loses a small amount of temperature.

Our entire building is heritage listed so I hope that this might be able to explain as to why there is no stair access above the first floor other than the emergency exits.

Your kind words in relation to our hotel staff are greatly appreciated and have been shared with the team.

Rob & Team Holiday Inn Old Sydney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
  • Polish first
Anderstorp, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Location superb.
Great breakfast, our 10 year old son ate for free.
The poolarea was a bit small but great. A strange smell though. Do not know what it was, did not investigate. Wonderful view. Unfortunately there were ships parked between the hotel and the operahouse almost the entire time we stayed here (4 nights). One night we enjoyed the perfect view. Good italian restaurant just behind the hotel. Great for families.
The downside of this hotell was the WI-FI. 15 minutes free Wi-FI per day (in lobby) is not good enough. When we then payed for it the last days, it did not work that well. Problems to get in. And too expensive 23 AUD for 24 hours.
Comfortable beds and pillows.
AC worked well despite the heat outside.
Ordered roomservice one night (bottled water). Do not know when they came. After 1 hour we put out the lights. We called again during this time but did not get any answer

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Melas71,

Congratulations on positing your second review. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with others on line. The title really says it all. I was glad to read that you generally enjoyed the hotel and the local area.

From July 1 all Platinum and Gold IHG Rewards members have been entitled to free internet access. The hotel is also currently in the process of installing booster devices to our WIFI signal which should greatly improve connectivity in all areas of the hotel. From September 1 we are also offering free internet to all hotel customers on our business centre computers located in the lobby area.

I apologise about the delay in room service which I am currently following up.

We trust you travelled back to Sweden safely.

Tack & vänliga hälsningar,

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Here in North America I see Holiday Inn's as basic and good enough to sleep in! This hotel being in Old Sydney fit that and offered a little extra. (July 2010)
Bonuses:
Rooftop View
Within Walking distance of the Market, Restaurants and Opera House
Hot tub for Australian winter season on rooftop
Downside:
Expensive Breakfast

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
RSDarwin, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Old Sydney, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Dear Alana S,

Congratulations on posting your 5th review on TripAdvisor. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Thank you for your positive review and we are glad that you enjoyed the spectacular views from the spa on our rooftop.

I am glad that our Holiday Inn was able to offer you that little bit extra.

Wishing you safe future travels,

Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Staying at this Holiday Inn is really making me consider another brand of hotel after being a loyal Platinum Member for a decade. The experience from this hotel was poor from the start and summary of the issues are as follows:

a. Check In:
I asked if there was wi-fi and the response was yes for an additional cost. Then I asked why is there an additional cost for Platinum Members and the response is "I did not you were platinum". Why even have a membership if you are not going to get acknowledged. Then I asked if can have a room upgrade and she indicated that would be an additional charge. Then again I said, as a platinum member if there are availability I am entitled to a room upgrade. I can understand if there were no roon availability but there was because she proceeded to tell there was but had an additional cost. It is rather frustrating that you fly for 10 hours, sit in the hotel lobby for 4 hours while your room gets ready and you have to tolerate all of this.

b. The Room:

The room they put me in was filthy, there was what appeared to be blood stains in the carpet. Really?? I noticed it as soon as I walked and the so called "cleaning staff" did not see that? I called then they moved be to another room which is not much better.

c. The Hotel

Aside from the location, there is nothing to brag about this hotel. It's dirty. For what they charge you the location it is not enough to justify the rate. In addition to being a filthy hotel, the noise with the kids running around is rather irritating. The staff just let it go and not consider that the guests might find this rather annoying. Also, because the main entrance is an open concept, you can hear the dishes banging from the breakfast lounge in the morning from the all they way to the 6th floor.

d. Cleaning Staff

Overall poor job in cleaning the rooms. There is nothing more to say about it.

e. Check Out
During check out she asked for my card which I give her. She started to charge my card in which I had to stop her and asked to review my bill to make sure it's correct. I am glad I did because a charge for internet magically appeared on my bill despite discussing that it's free for platinum member. Again, frustrating,

Overall this is a poor hotel that charges high rate that is not warranted. On my last evening I decided to stay at Four Seasons a few blocks from this hotel and it was so pleasant and guess what it was only $30 more. It's my fault for not leaving earlier.

Room Tip: Tip - go to another hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
RSDarwin, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Old Sydney, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear JiltedGen,

Thank you for providing your feedback. I wish to apologise for the many issues which you encountered during your stay with us.

I believe that my Senior Guest Experience Manager has contacted you privately to respond to your feedback.

Once again I wish to personally apologise on behalf of my team.

Rob Stewart
Hotel Manager
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Great location in Old Sydney. The Sunday we arrived, there was a quaint market with different vendors lined up along the surrounding streets. The café downstairs offers a nice breakfast buffet - don't forget to try toast with vegemite! The Hop-on-Hop-Off Bus picks up and drops off right in front of the hotel. Also, it's a relatively short walk to the departure point for harbor tours and the airport train.

If friends visited Sydney, we would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear RobertOfHouston,

Congratulations on posting your first review. Thank you for taking the time to sign up to Trip Advisor and for providing us with your feedback.

Thank you for your positive review, I am delighted that our location was so convenient for all of your sightseeing. I trust that you had a fantastic time in Sydney.

Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Fantastic location, nice beds, however the rooms are quite small for the price and the bathrooms are even smaller. Another issue is if you don't get the Harbour side views from the room, then it is a quite average view. Looking down on cafe's with no privacy etc. If i was to stay here again i would be requesting a Harbour side view for sure.
Stand out was the buffet breakfast and the customer service from the ladies at reception.
Valet parking is also an option.

Room Tip: Get a room on the side facing the harbour bridge otherwise it's a fairly average view.
Dear SChisholm22,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Thank you for your kind words about the reception team and the hotels breakfast offering.

Our harbourview rooms are extremely popular and have been full for many nights over the past few months. As many people have commented previously, the views are well worth the small upgrade fee.

I wish to also thankyou for your constructive feedback about the hotel.

Thank you for travelling up from my home town of Canberra to stay with us !

Ashington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Travelled to Sydney on the last leg of the Lions Tour - definitely saved the best until last - and that wasn't just the result of the deciding test!

Whenever I travel to somewhere I haven't been before I always check out the IHG group of hotels - only picking from another brand if they have good TripAdvisor reviews (I also check out IHG reviews on TripAdvisor).

I had an excellent room on the 5th floor and my first view in the morning was of the top of the Sydney Opera House and of the "other Tyne Bridge" - except for the morning when I awoke to a different view and thought I was in the wrong room! Fears were allayed when I realised a liner had docked overnight!

The hotel staff without exception were exceptional, friendly, polite and helpful - especially helpful no matter what time in the morning I returned!

Perhaps due to the sampling of local rehydration in the many local bars within easy walking - or should I say staggering distance - a full breakfast was never taken although I had continentals on a few occasions which was just what I needed and reasonably priced. Other mornings I went to one of a number of coffee houses-cum-cafes.

Room Tip: Ask for 5th floor or above with a view of the bridge and opera houe
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
RSDarwin, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Old Sydney, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear Pooch123,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed the Lions tour and most importantly the big win which the team had in Sydney. It was fantastic to have so many supporters stay with us here in the hotel and enjoy their time in Sydney,

We are very proud to recieve your five out of five review which is much appreciated.

Wishing you safe future travels, we hope to be able to welcome you back to Sydney again in the future.

Rob & Team Holiday Inn Old Sydney

Been to Holiday Inn Old Sydney? Share your experiences!