“Romantic and great place to dine” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Devonshire

The Devonshire
204 Devonshire St | Surry Hills, Sydney, New South Wales 2010, Australia (Chinatown)
2 9698 9427
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #60 of 5,160 restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Chinatown
“Romantic and great place to dine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

My husband and I ate dinner here on a friday night using an Ouffer voucher. The restaurant is intimate, clean, furnished well, and has a romantic ambience. We had 8 delicious courses with equally delicious matching wines. The service was super, no stuck up treatment by being a voucher customer. We had a lovely dining experience that we will definitely return as full paying diners.

• Visited August 2013

89% Recommend
Sydney, Australia
“Top Restaurant, Great Service & Excellant Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Selected this restaurant after a little research of hated restaurants in the Good Food Guide (NSW, Australia) as I wanted to try a new restaurant for a different experience.

I must say it was an excellent choice!!! It is only a relatively small place in the back streets of Surry Hills but very well presented and very welcoming from the minute you walk in the door and are greeted by the friendly staff.

We decided to have the degustation menu with matching wines and it was the best choice to give you a real flavour of a number of dishes from the menu. It consisted of five sample courses from the entree and mains menus and two deserts. While as a degustation menu each course was not the size of a "normal" dish we were really struggling at the end to finish the last desert.

The quality of the food and its presentation was top rate and its easy to see how this restaurant earned its hated status. The service was also excellent with the staff explaining each course and providing much interesting information about the matching wines. The degustation menu with matching wines was $125 which is very good compared to other similar restaurants. After a very enjoyable evening there we considered this to be excellent value and would be happy to return as well as recommend it to others.

• Visited July 2013
Sydney
“Dining with a difference”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Absolutely wonderful. We walked into this little dimly lit restaurant on a cold raining night to find nothing short of what can be described as a remarkable experience in any foodie’s eyes. We were swiftly seated at a table in this warm cosy restaurant and napkins gently draped over our laps. Shortly after ordering we were given an appetizer to start the evening.

Crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside mini croquette sat on a small dollop of salted like mayonnaise which had been flavoured with anchovies if memory serves me correctly. The butter served with our perfectly warm bread rolls had been made with honey, giving it a caramalised flavour. The Beetroot cured NZ Ora king salmon, vinaigrette of prawns, baby beets and fried shallots were presented beautifully, almost like art work. The sweetness of the beetroot accompanied with the fried shallots complimented salmon.

The blue swimmer crab ravioli with squid ink and calamari was also a treat. Pillowed pasta piece, filling smooth in al dente pasta, laced with a velvet smooth squid ink sauce and topped with small calamari strings, just lovely. I would have to say that the highlight of the meal this evening would have been the Slow roast pork belly, sticky pigs tail, smoked potato, dehydrated apple, celery and cider dressing.

Marvelling the beauty of this dish, I slowly proceeded to take the first anticipated bite. The slow roast pork belly was moist and tender. Crackling cooked perfectly. Perched on top of this lovely crackling was even more crunchy crackling, cooked similarly to texture of fried garlic chips but even crunchier. The sticky pig tails were like softly cooked spring rolls. The smooth velvety smoky potato made this dish shine even more. Gorgeously paired with the small apply jelly squares and dehydrated apple and celery, this mix of flavours and textures made for a very joyous taste on the palate.

Service was good. Water glasses always filled and each of the waiters well aware of what was being served. We were walked through each dish. Prompt without being intrusive and dishes came out in right timing. Using the entertainment card, we paid about $45 per person. There were 3 of us, we all had an entree and a main meal each.

After reading about Chef Jeremy Bently’s experiences in The Square Mayfair and Balzac, I do not find it a wonder that the dishes that have come out of this restaurant are both beautifully presented and blissfully tasty. My only regret is that I didn’t get to try their degustation menu, but I am already making plans to have it. Thank you for a great experience Devonshire, I will be back for more.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sydney, Australia
“Good value pre-theatre dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

The devonshire is just a short walk from the Belvoir theatre and our small group of friends booked for the 6pm pre-theatre dinner. We loved the dark-wood and white tableclothed atmosphere of this 50 seater restaurant and thought the wall of mirrors was a clever touch. The service was faultless. For $45 we were able to choose two courses from the a la carte menu. We chose to have entrees and mains. We also had wine by the glass from the short, but well chosen, wine list. Our meals all looked very attractive and the consensus was that the food was both good and good value. I must admit that I personally prefer to have dishes which are a little less contrived, but I respect the chefs work and skill. I certainly recommend this charming and professional restaurant.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Another lovely experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Went here last week with my partner, and again really enjoyed both the food and service on offer! Food was prepared and presented beautifully, and service was warm and friendly. Thanks again Devonshire, your restaurant really is one of my favourite spots in Sydney. Cheers!

• Visited June 2013