“Great service and fab brioche” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BLACK by ezard

BLACK by ezard
80 Pyrmont Street | Level G, Harbourside, The Star, Pyrmont, Sydney, New South Wales 2009 , Australia (Formerly Black by Ezard)
+61 2 9657 9109
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #290 of 5,322 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Bar, Grill
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night, Private Dining
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night, Private Dining
Sydney, Australia
“Great service and fab brioche”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We had a function in the private dining room, which was perfect for our intimate event, but unfortunately it is a closed room with no views or windows. Having said that the room is nice, and allowed us to to stand up and deliver speeches without all the noise of the other diners in the restaurant.

STAFF:
The service from our private waiter was amazing- he was very attentive and always greeted our requests with a smile. The hostess at the front of the restaurant was a bit cold and not very friendly when we settled the bill- a smile would have been appreciated. The rest of the staff were very friendly and professional.

FOOD:
We had a 3 course set menu, and a beverage package. For entree I had the PRAWNS sauteed spencer gulf, white cheese polenta, compressed watermelon, jalapeno peppers, roast corn salad, crispy pancetta, and it was delicious- beautiful firm prawns and interesting flavours. For mains I had steak with various sides- asparagus, salad etc. The meat was beautiful - very tender (but not the best I have had for the price). I was not offered a sauce or any condiments for my meat which was disappointing. Others had the GNOCCHI handmade potato, chestnut cream, chestnut mushrooms, roasted salsify, parsley and parmesan- although nice, they were not blown away. The brioche that was served to the table was very delicious and sweet- an interesting choice of bread but fantastic! For dessert I had CHOCOLATE warm couverture ganache, fresh mint ice cream, raspberry mousse, chocolate cookie- which was served to the table, then warm chocolate was poured over and caused the shell ball to melt which was amazing- the mint ice cream was beautiful and refreshing.

BEVERAGES:
Unfortunately we were charged extra for still and sparkling water even though we had a beverage package, which was surprising- this could have been my misunderstanding- but I found that unusual. The wine in the package was beautiful and complimented the meals well.

The night was very enjoyable and the food was good, however I was really looking forward to the night and left feeling just a little disappointed.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Sydney, Australia
“One of the best Wagyu steak in Sydney!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I've been to Black by Ezard twice this year and we will definitely go back again. We ordered the 1KG Wagyu share plate to have between the 2 of us. Plenty of juicy tender meat to share so unless you do eat a lot, no point getting entree. Just get some side dishes to share with your main and save space for dessert!

Visited August 2013
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Pre-theatre dining at it's best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Booking on the day my husband and I took mum out to Blue Man Group at the Lyric for an early christmas pressie. Arriving some 20 minutes early to Black giving us about three hours to dine before the show we were seated at front row seats to watch the sunset slowly over Sydney city and Pyrmont Bay. What a show! The quiet, dark ambience of Black with low background music was conducive to pleasant conversation and the view down to the comings and goings to a black tie function on the pier and Star City patrons was very entertaining. (Hint: don't do deals where people [and cameras - Star City's, not ours] can see you from above!). The pre-theatre menu is moderately priced however did not match precisly the menu available via the web site. I missed out on the peanut butter mousse accompanying the desert I ordered and instead got blueberries...not a great substitution in my eyes or on my palate. A fact our waiter was somewhat shamefaced about. Entree's were absolutely delicious with not just the flavours but the textures of all components of the dishes being well considered and combined to create an extremely pleasant experience. I had the steak tartine, mum and hubby enjoyed the prawns. Both were fantastic with true ingenuity in the flavour and texture combinations. Mains were timed at our discretion and arrived exactly at the time requested. Mum enjoyed the trout whilst we mere males devoured our steaks with great delight. Hubby then went on to state that the fillet at Astino's in newtown was superior two nights later, I however enjoyed it so much I feel it is the best I've had since Margaret ran the Clock in Surry Hills 21 years ago! I am a meatatarian however the accompanying asparagus was so well presented, cooked and sauced that I muched gleefully on almsot half it. Mum's trout was amazing with a truely refined sauce delivered and applied after the plate and before consumption leaving us smacking our lips in wonderment. We sat replete and sipped our various moderately priced, well selected beverages until desert arrived at our unspoken request. I was happy with my cheesecake, mum loved her strawberry shortcake with an extraordinary strawberry jelly but husbear's chocolate ball with hot sauce stole the show. The ball was delivered nestled in a bed of cruchy chocolate biscuit(?) and promptly disolved by the hot sauce applied by another diligent waiter to reveal mint (Read real mint) and watermelon ice cream inside. the sauce combined with the melted chocolate mixed with the crumbed biscuit base was simply orgasmic, he's lucky I didn't steal more of it! Mum went to the loo at one stage and the helpful staff pointed her in the direction a little undiscretely however made up by following having noticed her 74 year old wobbly knees amd hip to redirect her to th disabled loo "With more room and no stairs", well done. We left bouyant and replete ready for a great show which was loud enough to halt the soporific effect of a truly great meal.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Geneva, Switzerland
“Amazing Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Was a bit afraid from the moment I stepped in the restaurant by the hostess who was not smilling an quite cold, but the dinner went better than expected with the waiter who has been extraordinary helpful and the wine waiter who is very competent. They were both very nice and friendly.
Concerning the food they have a good menu, fish, meat, crab pastas, what ever you want.
I personnally took the beef grilled which was so good with a bearnaise sauce, not the best one I tasted but good.

Moreover an advantage of this restaurant is the location, you have a nice view while dinning and after you can head to the casino to gamble a little.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Runaway Bay, Australia
“One of the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

We were a walk in on a Thursday night. From the moment we arrived we were special. It felt like we were the only people in the restaurant.. From our first cocktail while we waited for a table, to being seated - they asked us if we would like to wait for 30 minutes as there was a table with a view becoming available - the attention was supurb.
The menu was innovative. The on plate presentation was excellent. The flavour combination was supurb.
Hard to beat and happy to pay the price. Will definately return for another memorable experience.

• Visited August 2013