“Pre-theatre dining at it's best!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BLACK by ezard

BLACK by ezard
80 Pyrmont Street | Level G, Harbourside, The Star, Pyrmont, Sydney, New South Wales 2009 , Australia (Formerly Black by Ezard)
+61 2 9657 9109
Cuisines: American, Bar, Grill, Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Pre-theatre dining at it's best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Booking on the day my husband and I took mum out to Blue Man Group at the Lyric for an early christmas pressie. Arriving some 20 minutes early to Black giving us about three hours to dine before the show we were seated at front row seats to watch the sunset slowly over Sydney city and Pyrmont Bay. What a show! The quiet, dark ambience of Black with low background music was conducive to pleasant conversation and the view down to the comings and goings to a black tie function on the pier and Star City patrons was very entertaining. (Hint: don't do deals where people [and cameras - Star City's, not ours] can see you from above!). The pre-theatre menu is moderately priced however did not match precisly the menu available via the web site. I missed out on the peanut butter mousse accompanying the desert I ordered and instead got blueberries...not a great substitution in my eyes or on my palate. A fact our waiter was somewhat shamefaced about. Entree's were absolutely delicious with not just the flavours but the textures of all components of the dishes being well considered and combined to create an extremely pleasant experience. I had the steak tartine, mum and hubby enjoyed the prawns. Both were fantastic with true ingenuity in the flavour and texture combinations. Mains were timed at our discretion and arrived exactly at the time requested. Mum enjoyed the trout whilst we mere males devoured our steaks with great delight. Hubby then went on to state that the fillet at Astino's in newtown was superior two nights later, I however enjoyed it so much I feel it is the best I've had since Margaret ran the Clock in Surry Hills 21 years ago! I am a meatatarian however the accompanying asparagus was so well presented, cooked and sauced that I muched gleefully on almsot half it. Mum's trout was amazing with a truely refined sauce delivered and applied after the plate and before consumption leaving us smacking our lips in wonderment. We sat replete and sipped our various moderately priced, well selected beverages until desert arrived at our unspoken request. I was happy with my cheesecake, mum loved her strawberry shortcake with an extraordinary strawberry jelly but husbear's chocolate ball with hot sauce stole the show. The ball was delivered nestled in a bed of cruchy chocolate biscuit(?) and promptly disolved by the hot sauce applied by another diligent waiter to reveal mint (Read real mint) and watermelon ice cream inside. the sauce combined with the melted chocolate mixed with the crumbed biscuit base was simply orgasmic, he's lucky I didn't steal more of it! Mum went to the loo at one stage and the helpful staff pointed her in the direction a little undiscretely however made up by following having noticed her 74 year old wobbly knees amd hip to redirect her to th disabled loo "With more room and no stairs", well done. We left bouyant and replete ready for a great show which was loud enough to halt the soporific effect of a truly great meal.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Geneva, Switzerland
“Amazing Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Was a bit afraid from the moment I stepped in the restaurant by the hostess who was not smilling an quite cold, but the dinner went better than expected with the waiter who has been extraordinary helpful and the wine waiter who is very competent. They were both very nice and friendly.
Concerning the food they have a good menu, fish, meat, crab pastas, what ever you want.
I personnally took the beef grilled which was so good with a bearnaise sauce, not the best one I tasted but good.

Moreover an advantage of this restaurant is the location, you have a nice view while dinning and after you can head to the casino to gamble a little.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Runaway Bay, Australia
“One of the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

We were a walk in on a Thursday night. From the moment we arrived we were special. It felt like we were the only people in the restaurant.. From our first cocktail while we waited for a table, to being seated - they asked us if we would like to wait for 30 minutes as there was a table with a view becoming available - the attention was supurb.
The menu was innovative. The on plate presentation was excellent. The flavour combination was supurb.
Hard to beat and happy to pay the price. Will definately return for another memorable experience.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Brisbane, Australia
“A great venue”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We booked a business meeting we were shown to a private dinning area with appropriate seating, found was great service was excellent.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sydney
“Did not live up to the hype”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We arrived on a Saturday Night for dinner for four and had hoped to have a drink prior. The bar was empty, however, was booked for a private function. We were told that a neighbouring restaurant had a bar. I wished we had stayed there. Given that we had booked the table a month earlier, we had hoped for a nice table but ended up next to the waiter station. The waiter was too attentive and we felt like he was part of our table the way he reacted to requests as he was hovering over our shoulder. The wine list was presented on an iPad and as expected was very expensive. I asked to order the wine and was told that the sommelier would need to take the order which is my pet hate in restaurants as I knew exactly what I wanted to order. The entrees were the highlight of the meal. Three of us had steaks and given the prices of up to $68 for nothing but a piece of steak, each main ended up at around $75 by the time you added sides and sauces. The sides were tiny and average. The chimmichurri was outstanding. We ordered a cheese platter which arrived looking very tired with one piece of cheese appearing oxidised with an array of accompaniments. When we questioned the waiter, he informed us that it was simply cut from another part of the block. A great answer if you are a moron, however, the texture and taste was different. He was not sure what each of the quinnelles of pastes were and had to ask the kitchen which really is not acceptable given the perceived status of the restaurant. We eat in fine dining restaurants regularly and all over the country and the world and would have to say we were totally underwhelmed by Black and doubt we would ever return which is a real shame given how much we were looking forward to dining here.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere