“Finally!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Darling

Save Saved
You added The Darling to your Saves list
The Darling
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   80 Pyrmont Street | at The Star, Sydney, New South Wales 2009, Australia   |
Ranked #15 of 182 hotels in Sydney
“Finally!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

I have travelled to Sydney on business on many occasions over the years and whilst the quality of the hotel is not particularly important, a decent hotel does certainly take the edge off any unpleasantness associated with the working day. With one notable exception I have been consistently disappointed by hotels in the city, until now. I arrived at the hotel early in the morning after a long flights from London. Suffice to say I was pretty tired and dreading the "I am sorry but your room is not ready" line. Well that did not happen and I was shown to a very comfortable, modern and well appointed room. Room service was very good and my only small gripe is that the breakfast venue requires you to go into an adjoining building, which seemed odd. Other than that, I can only recommend that you give this place a try.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

396 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

I can honestly say I do not have one bad thing to say about the Darling. The service was friendly and helpful, the room was amazing! All in all a great experience, one which I hope to enjoy again very soon.

Townsville, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Girls pamper weekend away from feral children, gloriously devine! The mere fact that they had a pillow menu and possibly the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in is just the starting point of compliments. The "food hall" downstairs sells Moët and lovely tasty treats, the hotel bar is beautiful and standard products are Molten Brown. We were reluctant to leave the hotel to peruse the new year sales, highly efficient staff, fantastic location, all in all, a highly recommended experience.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Just spent three nights here in a courtyard room and this part of the hotel is new. Its positioned on the other side of the Star complex in the new tower.
There is an amazing smell as you enter the foyer, I've never smelt anything like it at a hotel foyer before.
Also the room itself was rather hi-tech and savvy, I haven't seen this before either.
Process was very fast and efficient. I also had a car and the Valet boys were the friendliest I have met anywhere in the world. At only $26 per night this is seriously the cheapest Valet park you can get in Sydney!
I'm a frequent traveller and have stayed at the other hotels in the darling Harbour and yes, the others may be cheaper, but do not offer the same friendly and professional service.
During the nights you may hear a bit of noise coming from the band downstairs but it is only temporary.
The king bed is by far the best I have stayed in, soft and plush.
The entire room is open planned so be prepared to see everything in the bathroom (although the toilet and shower is frosted glass)
If you have a look at the prices they are very very reasonable considering the amenities, location and the fact we had a pool. The older Star towers did not as there are renovations and I saw a few asking if they could check into our building.
Also a little warning, if you move any of the bar products or items you only have 30 seconds to put it back otherwise you will be charged for it. The bars fridge is very small and looks like it was only designed for the items The Darling provides. But to fix this situation you just Ask housekeeping and they will provide you with a chill box or similar.
The atmosphere in general is exclusive and you feel very very safe. A lot of bling cars and a lot of the A-list hang around here. And for people like me who don't dress to impress and wear swag its just as comfortable. I will definitely be back here in April looking forward to it.
Thankyou The Darling and it's team

Victoria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

My husband and I spent four nights at The Darling for a short, relaxing break after the Christmas rush.
Our first impressions were formed in the reception area and it was stunning.
Our room on the 7th floor was very clean, new and stylishly furnished.
We were happy enough with our view of the pool, as we had secured a good rate rate on Wotif ($200 per night).
I was impressed by the attention to detail. Everything from the staff moving around the pool realigning deckchairs/removing towels after guests had left, to the the Molten Brown toiletries in the bathroom, the TV which could even open and close the blinds and a lovely cotton throw for my legs when the air-con was a bit cool.
The staff were friendly and enthusiatic.
The Darling is part of The Star Casino complex so there are plenty of dining, retail, and entertainment options.
I should mention that I didn't like the automated mini-bar which charged you for anything removed for 30 seconds.
Usually I like to put some of my own drinks and snacks in a hotel fridge.
(We bought a $3.80 bag of ice at the supermarket conveniently located acrosss the road and made our own makeshift cooler in one of the bathroom sinks).
I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at The Darling for one night January 2013. The moment you walk in the foyer you are hit with the smell of their signature scent. I have never experienced anything like this, the front desk told me it was a mix of white tea, euculyptus and something else. Amazing! The room was spacious, bathroom was devine. Previous reviews have noted the bathroom is quite open, I agree. Don't stay if you are shy or are staying with friends rather than husband/partner. We didn't gamble in the casino but did venture in there to have a drink in the bar (or should I say bars!!). There were so many bars to choose from! For dinner we walked to the harbour side complex, a short 5-7 min walk. Recommend staying on a Saturday night as there are fireworks at 9pm in darling harbour. Breakfast in the casino was also delicious, I felt very welcomed by the staff and even the chef said hello to me. Must recommend a visit to the Zumbo cafe in the casino complex, they have a desert train! Overall highly recommend the Darling, will definitely be back again!

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

Lovely hotel that feels fresh and new when you enter the lobby. Staff were more than helpful and very pleasant. Excellent location with plenty to do. Room was spacious and clean with an enormous tv. I would like to visit again soon. :))

• Stayed January 2013

Been to The Darling? Share your experiences!