“Best child-free experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Darling

You added The Darling to your Saves list
The Darling
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   80 Pyrmont Street | at The Star, Sydney, New South Wales 2009, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #17 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
Townsville, Australia
“Best child-free experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Girls pamper weekend away from feral children, gloriously devine! The mere fact that they had a pillow menu and possibly the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in is just the starting point of compliments. The "food hall" downstairs sells Moët and lovely tasty treats, the hotel bar is beautiful and standard products are Molten Brown. We were reluctant to leave the hotel to peruse the new year sales, highly efficient staff, fantastic location, all in all, a highly recommended experience.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Just spent three nights here in a courtyard room and this part of the hotel is new. Its positioned on the other side of the Star complex in the new tower.
There is an amazing smell as you enter the foyer, I've never smelt anything like it at a hotel foyer before.
Also the room itself was rather hi-tech and savvy, I haven't seen this before either.
Process was very fast and efficient. I also had a car and the Valet boys were the friendliest I have met anywhere in the world. At only $26 per night this is seriously the cheapest Valet park you can get in Sydney!
I'm a frequent traveller and have stayed at the other hotels in the darling Harbour and yes, the others may be cheaper, but do not offer the same friendly and professional service.
During the nights you may hear a bit of noise coming from the band downstairs but it is only temporary.
The king bed is by far the best I have stayed in, soft and plush.
The entire room is open planned so be prepared to see everything in the bathroom (although the toilet and shower is frosted glass)
If you have a look at the prices they are very very reasonable considering the amenities, location and the fact we had a pool. The older Star towers did not as there are renovations and I saw a few asking if they could check into our building.
Also a little warning, if you move any of the bar products or items you only have 30 seconds to put it back otherwise you will be charged for it. The bars fridge is very small and looks like it was only designed for the items The Darling provides. But to fix this situation you just Ask housekeeping and they will provide you with a chill box or similar.
The atmosphere in general is exclusive and you feel very very safe. A lot of bling cars and a lot of the A-list hang around here. And for people like me who don't dress to impress and wear swag its just as comfortable. I will definitely be back here in April looking forward to it.
Thankyou The Darling and it's team

Victoria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

My husband and I spent four nights at The Darling for a short, relaxing break after the Christmas rush.
Our first impressions were formed in the reception area and it was stunning.
Our room on the 7th floor was very clean, new and stylishly furnished.
We were happy enough with our view of the pool, as we had secured a good rate rate on Wotif ($200 per night).
I was impressed by the attention to detail. Everything from the staff moving around the pool realigning deckchairs/removing towels after guests had left, to the the Molten Brown toiletries in the bathroom, the TV which could even open and close the blinds and a lovely cotton throw for my legs when the air-con was a bit cool.
The staff were friendly and enthusiatic.
The Darling is part of The Star Casino complex so there are plenty of dining, retail, and entertainment options.
I should mention that I didn't like the automated mini-bar which charged you for anything removed for 30 seconds.
Usually I like to put some of my own drinks and snacks in a hotel fridge.
(We bought a $3.80 bag of ice at the supermarket conveniently located acrosss the road and made our own makeshift cooler in one of the bathroom sinks).
I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at The Darling for one night January 2013. The moment you walk in the foyer you are hit with the smell of their signature scent. I have never experienced anything like this, the front desk told me it was a mix of white tea, euculyptus and something else. Amazing! The room was spacious, bathroom was devine. Previous reviews have noted the bathroom is quite open, I agree. Don't stay if you are shy or are staying with friends rather than husband/partner. We didn't gamble in the casino but did venture in there to have a drink in the bar (or should I say bars!!). There were so many bars to choose from! For dinner we walked to the harbour side complex, a short 5-7 min walk. Recommend staying on a Saturday night as there are fireworks at 9pm in darling harbour. Breakfast in the casino was also delicious, I felt very welcomed by the staff and even the chef said hello to me. Must recommend a visit to the Zumbo cafe in the casino complex, they have a desert train! Overall highly recommend the Darling, will definitely be back again!

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

Lovely hotel that feels fresh and new when you enter the lobby. Staff were more than helpful and very pleasant. Excellent location with plenty to do. Room was spacious and clean with an enormous tv. I would like to visit again soon. :))

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Just checked out from a two night stay at The Darling in Pyrmont, about 7 or 8 minutes easy walk from the Harbourside side of Darling Harbour. Visting on business, staying over this side for the first time in a long time I wanted something close to where one of my meetings was and I knew I didn't want to stay in one of the tired old faithfuls at Darling Harbour itself. Good reviews here led me to The Darling, where for a 5 star hotel I got a pretty good deal including a decent sized king room, wireless (albeit a little slow as is usually the case with hotels) internet and continental breakfast buffet. As a business traveller I look for the same things most of us do - a large-ish and comfortable bed, a good shower and bathroom, and a bit of room to stretch out in and get some work done in relative peace. The Darling is adjacent to but not in the Star Casino / Star City complex, so noise (I was on the 7th floor) wasn't the potential problem it might otherwise be, and the hotel ticked all the other boxes nicely. The room I was in seemed reasonably newly styled and very comfortably presented, if perhaps with its fair share of slightly ostentatious finishings and a couple too many casino-style mirrors/mirrored surfaces (thankfully no mirror on the cieling, but that's a story about Vegas for another time...).

Pleasant and professional staff also always helps, and there was a good dose of youthful exuberance in the way the greeted you and went about their jobs. Checkin and out was also easy - another biggie with me as a business traveller.

Other than breakfast, which was certainly acceptable if quite a walk away because the venue for it is, a little annoyingly, in the main casino, I didn't eat in the hotel but I have no reason to expect that the food would not be up to the same generally quite high standards I saw everywhere else in my brief stay.

All in all I would certainly rate this as a good place to stay if basing yourself on that side of Sydney and you like those couple of extras you get in what I think of as a pretty good hotel. A bit over 4 circles for me, and perhaps higher when I explore more things on my next visit.

Room Tip: Go high as you can get away with in case there is a big show on downstairs, or if on a Friday/weeken...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We just spent 4 nights at the Darling and rate the whole experience very highly. Beautiful rooms , if you want a view you need to be above the 8th floor. We were on the 12th floor with magnificent views wonderful upgrade by the staff greatly appreciated. We were in a standard Darling room but it was lovely . Super clean, beautifully appointed and the Moulton Brown bathroom products are luxurious. Staff were helpful and efficient easy check in and check out. Be prepared for those automated mini bar fridges but when we had a problem storing some fresh milk in an already packed fridge the housekeeping staff solved the problem efficiently and without drama. Great service, beautiful hotel, great location shame to leave!!

Room Tip: Need to be high up to get a view and avoid hearing music from casino
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Darling? Share your experiences!