“Great for a special occasion” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Darling

Save Saved
You added The Darling to your Saves list
The Darling
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   80 Pyrmont Street | at The Star, Sydney, New South Wales 2009, Australia   |
Ranked #13 of 182 hotels in Sydney
Sydney, Australia
“Great for a special occasion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

We chose The Darling for our anniversary earlier this month, and they very kindly upgraded us to an Adored Suite. It was magnificent! So huge, that the bathroom, which had 3 showers(!) was larger than the entire room we had for an earlier stay at the Ibis in Darling Harbour.
The hotel is very stylish and plush, and the location is wonderful- right in the casino, next to Darling Harbour, and only a short stroll to the CBD. We didn't venture into the casino, and weren't bothered at all by any noise or action from there.
We were thoroughly spoiled by our stay at The Darling- can I put in my request for an upgrade every time we stay? It will be so hard to go to a normal room after the luxury of the suite.:)

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

370 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

This was our second stay at the darling. Upon checkin our tv was not working - someone came up and informed us that a part had to be brought up. It took the man over half an hr to return. At 2am, whilst we were fast asleep our doorbell rang. I woke up to find 2 men at the door who asked if it was our air condition that wasn't working. I told them obviously not we are fast asleep and then he said sorry we have the wrong room. The next morning we had a function on at 9am. Our room clock was set 3 hours behind normal time And as such we arrived extremely late. Not happy with this second stay especially considering the amount we paid for the rooms.

• Stayed December 2012
seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

This sparkling new property offers great, comfy guest rooms with tons of high-tech gadgetry in a great location for business or leisure. This is not your parent's hotel so if you are a bit tech-phobic you may not like the lightning and entertainment systems. Also because it's new a lot of cabbies don't know where it is.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

The hotel is new and stylish ! Advise not to stay with kids, I booked theroom via phone, no one told me pool area is adult only since that is a bar area. There is a party at the lobby area until midnight, not in a sound proof ball room, but lobby. I feel the room shaking, I was staying on the 5 fl. Please ask when check in is there a party going on if yes, please insist a higher level. I complaint at 11pm , the staff said the party was approved by the management and she cant guarantee the party will finish at 12 mid night. If u sleep very late otherwise this is extremely disturbing. I cant believe a 5 star hotel will hold party at the lobby area, this is not acceptable. Staff are very nice and explain to me the situation.... but they cant help.

Room Tip: higher level is recommended
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Saw the promotion on the website, so I and my friend decided to stay in Sydney after doing our tax-return and to treat ourselves! We went to the Darling Spa and enjoyed 1.5 hr massage. Although it was a but pricy, the atmosphere and service were totally worth it! We stayed there on a Saturday night because we went clubbing in Marquee (which was lots of fun). After partying hard we just rested in the gorgeous room. Beautiful setting out. Even the room was not large, it was spacious. I also went for a swim in the next morning. Good complimentary breakfast as well. Plus the reception area was very grant!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney , Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Stayed here as we were attending an awards event in the Casino complex. The room was perfect. Modern, stylish , functional. It has a real funky feel about it without trying. It is so comforting to get a room where the air-conditioning works so well you do not notice it! The bed was heavenly and sleep came easily. All of the staff we interacted with were excellent and definitely an asset to the hotel. And one of best benefits of staying here is the location which is on the fringe of the City CBD but not amongst the hassle of the city itself. And although this is in the Casino complex you can avoid the casino completely if you wish as it is designed in such a way that you bypass all of the Casino to get in and out of the hotel which for us was a big plus. Check in and check out were quick and painless, price was ok for a hotel of this standard. As a tip if you do wish to stay here and it is full keep trying. I had tried (online)over the previous two weeks and there was no room availability and a final try on the morning of the event presented a King size room - it was worth the effort. Definitely recommend.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

My partner bought me a gift voucher for a treatment at the Spa inside the new Darling Hotel in Pyrmont. I booked a massage that was just ok - masseuse seemed bored (barely spoke to me and went through the motions pretty mechanically) and scratched me with her fingernails. What really concerned me was the quality of the men's changeroom. The shower had a broken mechanism and the flush did not work on the toilet I went to use. When I mentioned this to the desk staff it barely registered - I suspect they won't follow through on my comments. I was given a comments form to fill out when I finished my treatment but, sadly, because I am over 45 years old I couldn't read the tiny print in the subdued lighting. I am fortunate to have used several spas in Sydney and elsewhere. Really, at this stage at least, the spa at The Darling is not where it needs to be to compete with other offerings.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to The Darling? Share your experiences!