“High-tech choice on Darling Harbour” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Darling

You added The Darling to your Saves list
The Darling
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   80 Pyrmont Street | at The Star, Sydney, New South Wales 2009, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #18 of 175 Hotels in Sydney
seattle
“High-tech choice on Darling Harbour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

This sparkling new property offers great, comfy guest rooms with tons of high-tech gadgetry in a great location for business or leisure. This is not your parent's hotel so if you are a bit tech-phobic you may not like the lightning and entertainment systems. Also because it's new a lot of cabbies don't know where it is.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

The hotel is new and stylish ! Advise not to stay with kids, I booked theroom via phone, no one told me pool area is adult only since that is a bar area. There is a party at the lobby area until midnight, not in a sound proof ball room, but lobby. I feel the room shaking, I was staying on the 5 fl. Please ask when check in is there a party going on if yes, please insist a higher level. I complaint at 11pm , the staff said the party was approved by the management and she cant guarantee the party will finish at 12 mid night. If u sleep very late otherwise this is extremely disturbing. I cant believe a 5 star hotel will hold party at the lobby area, this is not acceptable. Staff are very nice and explain to me the situation.... but they cant help.

Room Tip: higher level is recommended
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Saw the promotion on the website, so I and my friend decided to stay in Sydney after doing our tax-return and to treat ourselves! We went to the Darling Spa and enjoyed 1.5 hr massage. Although it was a but pricy, the atmosphere and service were totally worth it! We stayed there on a Saturday night because we went clubbing in Marquee (which was lots of fun). After partying hard we just rested in the gorgeous room. Beautiful setting out. Even the room was not large, it was spacious. I also went for a swim in the next morning. Good complimentary breakfast as well. Plus the reception area was very grant!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney , Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Stayed here as we were attending an awards event in the Casino complex. The room was perfect. Modern, stylish , functional. It has a real funky feel about it without trying. It is so comforting to get a room where the air-conditioning works so well you do not notice it! The bed was heavenly and sleep came easily. All of the staff we interacted with were excellent and definitely an asset to the hotel. And one of best benefits of staying here is the location which is on the fringe of the City CBD but not amongst the hassle of the city itself. And although this is in the Casino complex you can avoid the casino completely if you wish as it is designed in such a way that you bypass all of the Casino to get in and out of the hotel which for us was a big plus. Check in and check out were quick and painless, price was ok for a hotel of this standard. As a tip if you do wish to stay here and it is full keep trying. I had tried (online)over the previous two weeks and there was no room availability and a final try on the morning of the event presented a King size room - it was worth the effort. Definitely recommend.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

My partner bought me a gift voucher for a treatment at the Spa inside the new Darling Hotel in Pyrmont. I booked a massage that was just ok - masseuse seemed bored (barely spoke to me and went through the motions pretty mechanically) and scratched me with her fingernails. What really concerned me was the quality of the men's changeroom. The shower had a broken mechanism and the flush did not work on the toilet I went to use. When I mentioned this to the desk staff it barely registered - I suspect they won't follow through on my comments. I was given a comments form to fill out when I finished my treatment but, sadly, because I am over 45 years old I couldn't read the tiny print in the subdued lighting. I am fortunate to have used several spas in Sydney and elsewhere. Really, at this stage at least, the spa at The Darling is not where it needs to be to compete with other offerings.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Our stay at The Darling Hotel was a great experience and I travel quite often as I am in the business of hotel and restaurants. I can understand and appreciate the work involved in creating a very welcoming and indulgent hotel stay. The King Room itself was very comfortable and offered an awesome view of the harbor. But more importantly, the staff did an extraordinary job of making my vacation a very relaxing one. Junaidi, the concierge, took care of every detail with smile and efficiency – from spa appointments, restaurant recommendations, and directions for my drive to The Blue Mountains. Kevin, the bellman, ran around town to find me a shoemaker to replace the soles of my boots. Villa, the bartender at Sokyo, shared some great stories of the local area and made some great handcrafted cocktails (his take on the classic Manhattan is worth a try). The best dinner we had during our entire stay was at Sokyo – the sushi restaurant on the property. We sat at the sushi bar and our chef, Min, did a wonderful job creating a personalized tasting menu for us based on a couple questions he asked regarding our taste preferences.
The staff did a great job at making us feel like we were the most important guests in the house.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We celebrated our 17th wedding anniversary with a night at The Darling. We had a Jewel suite (1278) which had views over to the top of the Harbour Bridge. The room was very big with separate lounge area and large bathroom with double sinks and spa bath. A bottle of shiraz was in our room with wishes for a happy anniversary- a nice touch. We loved all the Molton Brown toiletries, the soft mauve sheets, the 57 inch TV in the lounge and the pillow menu. Great to sleep on a latex pillow like we have at home! Underneath the hotel are lots of food outlets, don't miss Gelato Messina. The pool area was very glam and we enjoyed sitting in the spa. Breakfast was very reasonably priced- $19 for huevos rancheros and beautifully cooked.The room was lovely and quiet.
Some things which could further improve The Darling,
*remove the loose goose overlay on the top of the mattress. It was very soft and moved around a lot
*deliver newpapers. We ordered one but didn't receive it
*offer Turndown service. We missed it and it's always a treat
*leave space in the fridge for a bottle of wine . We had ought some champagne but there was nowhere to put it in the fridge.
We paid $413 for our Sunday night stay and it was very good value for what we received. We hope to return as we felt feeling recharged and refreshed.

Room Tip: The higher up, the bettter and the harbour side rooms obviously have a better view
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple