“Escape in Winter” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Darling

You added The Darling to your Saves list
The Darling
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   80 Pyrmont Street | at The Star, Sydney, New South Wales 2009, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #17 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
Melbourne, Australia
“Escape in Winter”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Saw the promotion on the website, so I and my friend decided to stay in Sydney after doing our tax-return and to treat ourselves! We went to the Darling Spa and enjoyed 1.5 hr massage. Although it was a but pricy, the atmosphere and service were totally worth it! We stayed there on a Saturday night because we went clubbing in Marquee (which was lots of fun). After partying hard we just rested in the gorgeous room. Beautiful setting out. Even the room was not large, it was spacious. I also went for a swim in the next morning. Good complimentary breakfast as well. Plus the reception area was very grant!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Sydney , Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Stayed here as we were attending an awards event in the Casino complex. The room was perfect. Modern, stylish , functional. It has a real funky feel about it without trying. It is so comforting to get a room where the air-conditioning works so well you do not notice it! The bed was heavenly and sleep came easily. All of the staff we interacted with were excellent and definitely an asset to the hotel. And one of best benefits of staying here is the location which is on the fringe of the City CBD but not amongst the hassle of the city itself. And although this is in the Casino complex you can avoid the casino completely if you wish as it is designed in such a way that you bypass all of the Casino to get in and out of the hotel which for us was a big plus. Check in and check out were quick and painless, price was ok for a hotel of this standard. As a tip if you do wish to stay here and it is full keep trying. I had tried (online)over the previous two weeks and there was no room availability and a final try on the morning of the event presented a King size room - it was worth the effort. Definitely recommend.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

My partner bought me a gift voucher for a treatment at the Spa inside the new Darling Hotel in Pyrmont. I booked a massage that was just ok - masseuse seemed bored (barely spoke to me and went through the motions pretty mechanically) and scratched me with her fingernails. What really concerned me was the quality of the men's changeroom. The shower had a broken mechanism and the flush did not work on the toilet I went to use. When I mentioned this to the desk staff it barely registered - I suspect they won't follow through on my comments. I was given a comments form to fill out when I finished my treatment but, sadly, because I am over 45 years old I couldn't read the tiny print in the subdued lighting. I am fortunate to have used several spas in Sydney and elsewhere. Really, at this stage at least, the spa at The Darling is not where it needs to be to compete with other offerings.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Our stay at The Darling Hotel was a great experience and I travel quite often as I am in the business of hotel and restaurants. I can understand and appreciate the work involved in creating a very welcoming and indulgent hotel stay. The King Room itself was very comfortable and offered an awesome view of the harbor. But more importantly, the staff did an extraordinary job of making my vacation a very relaxing one. Junaidi, the concierge, took care of every detail with smile and efficiency – from spa appointments, restaurant recommendations, and directions for my drive to The Blue Mountains. Kevin, the bellman, ran around town to find me a shoemaker to replace the soles of my boots. Villa, the bartender at Sokyo, shared some great stories of the local area and made some great handcrafted cocktails (his take on the classic Manhattan is worth a try). The best dinner we had during our entire stay was at Sokyo – the sushi restaurant on the property. We sat at the sushi bar and our chef, Min, did a wonderful job creating a personalized tasting menu for us based on a couple questions he asked regarding our taste preferences.
The staff did a great job at making us feel like we were the most important guests in the house.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor
sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We celebrated our 17th wedding anniversary with a night at The Darling. We had a Jewel suite (1278) which had views over to the top of the Harbour Bridge. The room was very big with separate lounge area and large bathroom with double sinks and spa bath. A bottle of shiraz was in our room with wishes for a happy anniversary- a nice touch. We loved all the Molton Brown toiletries, the soft mauve sheets, the 57 inch TV in the lounge and the pillow menu. Great to sleep on a latex pillow like we have at home! Underneath the hotel are lots of food outlets, don't miss Gelato Messina. The pool area was very glam and we enjoyed sitting in the spa. Breakfast was very reasonably priced- $19 for huevos rancheros and beautifully cooked.The room was lovely and quiet.
Some things which could further improve The Darling,
*remove the loose goose overlay on the top of the mattress. It was very soft and moved around a lot
*deliver newpapers. We ordered one but didn't receive it
*offer Turndown service. We missed it and it's always a treat
*leave space in the fridge for a bottle of wine . We had ought some champagne but there was nowhere to put it in the fridge.
We paid $413 for our Sunday night stay and it was very good value for what we received. We hope to return as we felt feeling recharged and refreshed.

Room Tip: The higher up, the bettter and the harbour side rooms obviously have a better view
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

From the fragrance wafting through the foyer to the candles scattered around the front desk reception area you know, upon entry, that this is one sexy hotel.
Check-in was quick and painless. Front-desk staff were friendly>
The (basic-level) room we had was very clean and the king-sized bed was extremely comfortable. (Although I'd say the room is only suitable for couples because there's no screen between the bedroom and the shower cubicle door.)
Also we found the room to be extremely quiet ... couldn't hear any outside noise at all, nor any slamming doors down the corridor - as is normal in most other hotels.
Although we didn't have a bath in the room, the shower was superb! One of those you walk into - it had two water outlets, one of those rain-style ones above your head and the more familiar hand-held which can be attached to a holder on the wall. The water pressure form each outlet is controllable.
Nice big widescreen LCD TV in the room.
The mini-bar is one of those sneaky time-controlled operations. And not just from the fridge!
Pick up one of the "you know you want to" boxes (one is called the "intimacy pack"!) and 30 seconds later you're charged! Is this really necessary?
Internet access charges are ridiculous - approx. $13 for one hour or $25 for the day - but typical of these hotels. I was hoping there'd be free access from the foyer but alas .. no.
There's also no restaurant in the hotel itself. Want food? You'll need to go the attached mall or the casino - even for breakfast - although there's the usual room service available.
Two critcisms re the room ... (1) the lighting is hard to control (can't they just go back to normal light switches!?) and (2) the electronically controlled blind is either fully open or fully shut! There's no in-between! Want a nap in the middle of the day without a totaly dark room? Wear your sunglasses!
Nonetheless, enjoyed my stay and would recommend the hotel - especailly for couples.

Adelaide, South Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

It doesn’t get any better than this. The accommodation is sumptuous, the staff are so competent and professional. For my husband and I four days of bliss. When you go away it’s so good to be looked after so that you can dedicate your time to enjoying all of the attractions.
Our heart felt thanks to the Hotel and staff. Our Tip. Lots of good restaurants around the Harbour but Balla is the ultimate in Italian. We would know!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Darling? Share your experiences!