Seeing this hotel received good reviews from other travelers, I did not have second thoughts making a reservation at Meriton. And while I did not experience any "major" problems, I also felt the need to set a few things "straight" so that people know what to expect.
1. Rooms are clean and well-stocked. Ours was equipped with a functional kitchen (complete with flatware and china) and a washer-dryer to boot. They provide you with the "basics" but everything is very do-it-yourself.
2. From the airport - you can take the airport shuttle (buy tickets from the travel concierge or you can buy the return ticket at the front desk) and it drops you off right in front of the hotel.
3. The hotel is in the middle of Chinatown (or more specifically, Thai town) so the place is always bustling. A lot of Asian restaurants and groceries in the area - most of which stay open until late even during public holidays so you will never go hungry. If you are not big on Asian food, there are Western selections nearby. For coffee-junkies, Starbucks is just across the street.
4. It is walking distance to the shopping district. Campbell is near King, Castlereigh, and Pitt Streets where all the really nice stores are. The Queen Victoria Bldg is just a few blocks away, although a longer walk.
5. There is a Coles (local grocer) about a block from the hotel so you can do all your groceries in case you want to eat in and stock up on supplies.
6. Taxis wait outside the hotel, if you want to go farther distances.
7. Although a longer walk, the train station (Central) is nearby.
8. Compared to the prices of other places in Sydney, their room rates are quite good.
1. Yes, it clearly says they are a SERVICED APARTMENT but I need to reiterate that they are NOT a hotel so please do not expect hotel-like services. There are no restaurants, no butlers walking about, etc. No one dotes on you throughout your stay. They offer you accommodation (albeit a comfortable one) and that's it.
2. Their staff are very straight-forward and no non-sense. I felt that they could have been more personable and warm despite being in a serviced apartment environment - unfortunately, no one I met during our 4-day stay made me feel like a welcome guest. I would say that the treatment was very "cold" and superficial.
3. They tell you to check out by 10am, but rooms are not ready until 2pm - which I thought was unusual. Either allow me to check out later, or give me the rooms earlier.
4. Bottled water is not complimentary - $3.00 for a bottle. Yikes.
5. Toiletries are not great. I felt they were lower than drug-store grade.
6. No currency exchange counter. Go to the bank, the ATM, or use your credit card (which is verbatim what we were told by the front office staff when we had to exchange money).
7. No free internet. I think all hotels (and yes, serviced apartments) should offer free internet as a standard service.
8. Interiors are not all that great. The pictures in the website make the hotel look swankier, but in reality everything felt very "flat" and lifeless. Not a warm, cozy environment overall.
1. The hotel website recommends the airport shuttle as one of the ways to get to the hotel. If you like sitting in a hot and cramped shuttle bus with strangers, with a driver who weaves furiously through Sydney traffic - then go ahead. Otherwise, please treat yourself to a taxi. It is well worth the money, trust me.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Meriton Serviced Apartments Campbell Street offers both corporate and leisure travellers, superior choice at the Southern end of Sydney city, railway square, Haymarket and other nearby surrounding areas. Positioned opposite the Capitol Theatre and just moments away from China Town, Paddy’s Markets, the Sydney Entertainment Centre, Central railway station, the University of Technology Sydney and Broadway. The self contained apartments are built over 39 levels and offer 247 luxury apartments including Studio, Cube and 1 bedroom configurations. Guest facilities include indoor heated 20m lap pool, spa, sauna and gymnasium boasting the latest fitness equipment. Our guests have the added convenience of a large selection of local restaurants offering meal delivery - directly to your apartment door. The innovative design of the building allows access both from George Street and Campbell Street plus easy access through the building via our pedestrian link to Cunningham Street - connecting you directly to World Square & beyond. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Meriton and Odigeo so you can book your Meriton Serviced Apartments Campbell Street reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Meriton Serviced Apartments Campbell Street Hotel Sydney