“Underwhelming.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Meriton Serviced Apartments Campbell Street

You added Meriton Serviced Apartments Campbell Street to your Saves list
Meriton Serviced Apartments Campbell Street
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4 - 10 Campbell Street | (corner of George Street), Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Special Offer
Free Wi-Fi
Ranked #2 of 185 Hotels in Sydney
Manila
“Underwhelming.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Seeing this hotel received good reviews from other travelers, I did not have second thoughts making a reservation at Meriton. And while I did not experience any "major" problems, I also felt the need to set a few things "straight" so that people know what to expect.

The Good:
1. Rooms are clean and well-stocked. Ours was equipped with a functional kitchen (complete with flatware and china) and a washer-dryer to boot. They provide you with the "basics" but everything is very do-it-yourself.
2. From the airport - you can take the airport shuttle (buy tickets from the travel concierge or you can buy the return ticket at the front desk) and it drops you off right in front of the hotel.
3. The hotel is in the middle of Chinatown (or more specifically, Thai town) so the place is always bustling. A lot of Asian restaurants and groceries in the area - most of which stay open until late even during public holidays so you will never go hungry. If you are not big on Asian food, there are Western selections nearby. For coffee-junkies, Starbucks is just across the street.
4. It is walking distance to the shopping district. Campbell is near King, Castlereigh, and Pitt Streets where all the really nice stores are. The Queen Victoria Bldg is just a few blocks away, although a longer walk.
5. There is a Coles (local grocer) about a block from the hotel so you can do all your groceries in case you want to eat in and stock up on supplies.
6. Taxis wait outside the hotel, if you want to go farther distances.
7. Although a longer walk, the train station (Central) is nearby.
8. Compared to the prices of other places in Sydney, their room rates are quite good.

The Bad:
1. Yes, it clearly says they are a SERVICED APARTMENT but I need to reiterate that they are NOT a hotel so please do not expect hotel-like services. There are no restaurants, no butlers walking about, etc. No one dotes on you throughout your stay. They offer you accommodation (albeit a comfortable one) and that's it.
2. Their staff are very straight-forward and no non-sense. I felt that they could have been more personable and warm despite being in a serviced apartment environment - unfortunately, no one I met during our 4-day stay made me feel like a welcome guest. I would say that the treatment was very "cold" and superficial.
3. They tell you to check out by 10am, but rooms are not ready until 2pm - which I thought was unusual. Either allow me to check out later, or give me the rooms earlier.
4. Bottled water is not complimentary - $3.00 for a bottle. Yikes.
5. Toiletries are not great. I felt they were lower than drug-store grade.
6. No currency exchange counter. Go to the bank, the ATM, or use your credit card (which is verbatim what we were told by the front office staff when we had to exchange money).
7. No free internet. I think all hotels (and yes, serviced apartments) should offer free internet as a standard service.
8. Interiors are not all that great. The pictures in the website make the hotel look swankier, but in reality everything felt very "flat" and lifeless. Not a warm, cozy environment overall.

The Ugly:
1. The hotel website recommends the airport shuttle as one of the ways to get to the hotel. If you like sitting in a hot and cramped shuttle bus with strangers, with a driver who weaves furiously through Sydney traffic - then go ahead. Otherwise, please treat yourself to a taxi. It is well worth the money, trust me.

Room Tip: Rooms are all pretty spacious, even the smaller rooms, so there is no need to "splurge" if...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
MSACampbellStreet, Manager at Meriton Serviced Apartments Campbell Street, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear vampireinthecity,

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review of your recent stay.

I am glad you found our apartments to be well equipped and our location to be convenient. As you mentioned, each apartment has everything you need to be self-sufficient during your stay which we believe is essential for the modern traveller.

I was disappointed to hear that you may have misunderstood the services we provide when booking your accommodation with us. As a Serviced Apartment accommodation provider our apartments are self-catering and as such we do not have any onsite restaurants or provide a concierge service at our property.

Please accept my sincerest apologies that your experience with our staff was below your expectations, this seems very out of character for our team as we pride ourselves on delivering excellent customer service to our guests. I have passed your feedback to our team to ensure their service standards are continually maintained.

As I mentioned in my email to you, I would like the opportunity to discuss your comments with you further at your earliest convenience. If you could kindly contact me via tacam@meriton.net.au as we value all guest feedback.

Vampireinthecity, thank you again for your feedback, I look forward to hearing from you soon, and hope to welcome you back to Meriton Serviced Apartments Campbell Street in the future.

Acting Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (881)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Belfast, Northern Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

I have stayed before - and will stay again.
Spacious studio - clean and well-equipped.
The level of housekeeping throughout my week-long stay was excellent.
Secure.
Free wifi.
Reasonable view - the centre of Sydney is so built up that that can't be helped.
Close to Central Station so perfect to get on to the transport network.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Dear Bfs_boy,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay on Trip Advisor.

We always value guest feedback, especially from our return guests and I am overjoyed that will continue to stay with us. As you mentioned, our apartments have everything you need and having a regular housekeeping service ensures your apartment is kept refreshed during your stay. I will be sure to pass on your praise to the team, as it is feedback such as yours which motivates the team to continually strive for excellence in the work they do.

Bfs_boy, thank you for choosing to stay with us at Meriton Campbell Street and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

It was everything you could wish for. Nice clean place. Good location, friendly service.Close to everything. Bus stop right at the door. Helpful Frontdesk staff and free and save luggage storing......

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear gunter k,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Meriton Serviced Apartments Campbell Street.

It is wonderful that you enjoyed your stay. As you mentioned our convenient location coupled by our clean apartments and friendly staff, makes us a great choice for travellers, whether it is for business or leisure. I am pleased you were able to experience this all during your time spent with us.

We look forward to hosting your next visit to Sydney.

Buenos Aires, Argentina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

Clean, yes. Spacious rooms, yes. Modern, yes. The whole concept kind of works, but make no mistake this isn´t a Hotel. The "service" side of the Hotel is almost none existent.
Upon arrival the girls at the front desk was nice enough to offer me the pool area to change clothes. The pool was on -6 level, I was on my own with 2 suitcases, I almost killed myself with the security doors! the bathroom wasn't big enough for me, how was I supposed to have the suitcase inside and change remains a mystery. So in my humble opinion is better not to offer.
They dont have a breakfast bar, restaurant, snack, nothing at all. They do have a delivery menu in the rooms, but they will not let the delivery come up to the door (unless they are on friendly terms with the security guy) so if you order in be ready to go downstairs to receive it and pay...ridiculous! Upon check out the Receptionist asked "how was your stay?" I answer "It could have been better. Her reply? "Oh really?, is 3 dollar for the water"
If you are not going to care, don´t even ask.

Room Tip: they do have washing and drying machines, a huge plus if you are one the road on business or for lon...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Connie N,

Meriton Designs our apartments for living. With a fully equipped laundry and kitchen within each of our spacious apartments, gives our guests a home away from home feel during their stay with us. I am pleased you found our apartments to be clean, modern and spacious.

It is disappointing to read that you may have misunderstood the services we provide before you arrived at our property. As we are Serviced Apartments and not a Hotel we do not offer the services such as concierge, an on-site restaurant and other facilities that traditional hotels provide. I apologise if not having these services caused you any inconvenience during your stay.

Please accept my sincerest apologies that you found our reception team less than helpful, as our team pride themselves on ensuring our guests have a comfortable stay. I have spoken to the team member who checked you out and re-iterated the importance of guest feedback and ensure all comments are treated as an opportunity to improve our product.

As I mentioned in my email to you, I would like the opportunity to discuss your comments with you further at your earliest convenience. If you could kindly contact me via email tacam@meriton.net.au it would be greatly appreciated.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

LONDON,UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

We stayed here for 3 night the apartment was out of this world. we had a 31st floor apartment with a balcony which provided views of the city. Great location for food, shopping and visiting some of sydneys attractions. 5 mins from the free shuttle bus down to the sydney harbour at circular key. Short wal to darling harbour and the china town district. Staff are friendly and apartment facilities are brilliant. would recommend this location to anyone wishing to visit sydney as perfect for all adventures. Also you get full use of their pool, gym and spa facilities so great for unwinding after a busy day of site seeing.

Room Tip: Ensure you make requests for views etc. We did this and our room was upgraded to ensure we had these...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear DONGLE,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Meriton Serviced Apartments Campbell Street.

It is wonderful that your stay was “out of this world”. As you mentioned we are conveniently located within the CBD. With an abundance of restaurant, shopping and travel options close by it makes it easy to visit all of the amazing sights Sydney has to offer. I was pleased to read that you were able to experience many of these sights.

It was also great to read that you found our apartment facilities to be brilliant, and our staff to be friendly. Our team works hard to strive for customer service excellence and it is comments like yours which motivates them to continue.

DONGLE, thank you again for your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

I only spent one night here, but I'd recommend it for anyone visiting Sydney. It was super modern - just how I like it - very clean, and spacious. My only complaint is that check-in was delayed more than an hour after the stated time, and this seemed to be a common gripe among some of the reviews I'd read. However, they upgraded my room, putting me in a room with a balcony and fantastic city view, so I'm not really complaining.

The location is also fantastic - right next door to a Starbucks (yay), down the street from several great shops and just across the way from a free shuttle bus stop that takes you directly to the Sydney Harbour.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear mbilal,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay.

It is wonderful that you found our apartments to be clean and modern. As you mentioned, our convenient location coupled with our spacious and fully equipped apartments, makes us a great choice for travellers.

Meriton Serviced Apartments guaranteed check in time is from 2pm, after looking into your booking I can see that you checked in at 1.19pm. Please accept my sincerest apologies if you had an early arrival request before this time as we always endeavour to fill requests such as these, unfortunately due to high occupancy these requests may not be filled on every occasion. Once again, I apologise if this caused you any inconvenience.

Mbilal, thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Meriton Serviced Apartments Campbell Street the next time you visit Sydney.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

Location is good, Studio apartment more than adequate for a couple. Very roomy and comfortable.

was good value for money. Arrived early and as hotel had a room available the reception desk was happy to let us check in rather than wait the four hours to check in time.

Room Tip: We stayed on 15th floor which was very quiet considering location of hotel
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear ron255100,

Thank you for your recent review.

It is wonderful that you were able to access your apartment earlier than the guaranteed check in time of 2pm. Our team works hard to ensure our guests are comfortable from the time of arrival and I am pleased they were able to assist you efficiently.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and on behalf of the team at Meriton Campbell Street, we thoroughly look forward to hosting your next visit to Sydney.

Acting Hotel Manager

Been to Meriton Serviced Apartments Campbell Street? Share your experiences!