“Good place to stay near Chinatown and Central Railway Station” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Meriton Serviced Apartments Campbell Street

Save Saved
You added Meriton Serviced Apartments Campbell Street to your Saves list
Meriton Serviced Apartments Campbell Street
4 - 10 Campbell Street | (corner of George Street), Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Special Offer
Free Wi-Fi*
Ranked #2 of 182 hotels in Sydney
Sydney, Australia
“Good place to stay near Chinatown and Central Railway Station”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stayed a couple nights and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The staff were very helpful at check-in, our studio apartment was modern, very clean and well appointed, sleep quality was excellent, and the price very reasonable for accommodation located close to the centre of Sydney. We will stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
MSACampbellStreet, Manager at Meriton Serviced Apartments Campbell Street, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Dear Georgie0497,

Thank You for your positive review on your stay.

Meriton apartments are designed for living, as we believe you should not have to compromise on your standard of living even when you’re travelling. Our Reception team always will endeavour to assist all guests and are happy to recommend places to see and things to do in the city. During your next stay here, why not jump on the 555 free shuttle bus that will take you to near Sydney Harbour and take in the sights on George Street on the way there.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Campbell Street.

2,348 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (619)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

The concierge staff were polite and helpful. I have booked two rooms which were spacious and clean. Things that I am always particularly mindful of are the cleanliness of the bed linen and the toilet; and Meriton Campbell got my two thumbs up.

They only do light housekeeping during my 4-night stay there, which just includes making the bed and clearing the rubbish -- which were OK, since it was very clean to begin with.

However, I thought there was a little oversight during the light housekeeping service though: I accidentally spurted my make-up cream onto the mirror when I was dolling up in the morning, and because I was rushing for time, I did not have the time to wipe it off; and when I returned, the cream was still stained on the mirror.

A note for travelers who always rely on hotels for toiletries, they do not provide disposable toothbrush/toothpaste though. Only a soap bar, shower foam, shampoo, lotion and a shower cap. But this does not bother me and my travelling companions much, since we always bring ours along.

On the whole, Meriton Campbell is a value-for-money accommodation, and its proximity to Chinatown and the Central station were a plus. If you have booked land tours, most of the pick up points are also in proximity, so it is not a major issue.

I personally like the clean and professional look and décor that Meriton Campbell adopted, but my travel companion found it to give an aloof and not those warm cosy home feel.

Nonetheless, I would strongly recommend this place if you are searching for a place to stay in Sydney.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Dear Babyishgal,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay.

Our Housekeeping team works hard to ensure each and every apartment in the building is cleaned to the highest standard to ensure that our guests will have a comfortable stay throughout. Your comments will be passed on to the team as constructive comments such as yours set the benchmark for our team to strive for customer service excellence.

Our location is one of our great assets, being so close to great restaurants and tourist landmarks mean that one does not have to travel far to do sightseeing. With Central station and public bus stops just footsteps away, it makes planning your holiday itinerary so much easier.

We are glad that you found your stay satisfying and look forward to hosting your next stay in Sydney at Meriton Campbell Street.

the island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

New-ish apartment hotel. Convenient location. Apartment well furnished and clean. Free internet - the main reason I chose this place.
But.....the only downside is the lack of double/triple glazing which means you can hear the traffic from George Street all night on the weekend even on the 32nd floor. By traffic I mean buses, motorbikes (the ones that make loud noises when they are revved), sirens from the emergency services, even drunk people shouting..... all night......

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
MSACampbellStreet, Manager at Meriton Serviced Apartments Campbell Street, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear Echidnatrip,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I was pleased you were satisfied with our apartment and convenient location, it was also great to read you took full advantage of our free internet available to guests.

It was however disappointing to read your sleep was interrupted by city noise. Our guest often comment on how quiet our apartments are given their central CBD location. I do apologise that on this occasion your stay was disrupted by this.

Once again, thank you for your review and I hope this issue will not deter you from returning to stay with us again in the future.

Kind regards,
Rhys A.
Hotel Manager
Launceston, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

This is a review based on the room I was given as distinct to the one I booked and paid for.

I paid for a studio apartment but was upgraded to a skyview one bedroom on the 25th floor which was great. The view was excellent with a small balcony with table and chairs. Because of the double glazing and the fact that the room did not face the street it was very quiet. We stayed for 7 nights.

The TV's are great with all digital channels and Foxtel available.

No problems with room cleaning.

Position of property is excellent. Close to almost everything.

Very comfortable king sized bed.

A few small complaints about the room.

Staff were good but could respond more to passing guests. ( Good morning etc)

Sound isolation between rooms appears excellent as we didn't hear anyone else.

1 Non-secure Wifi, ( anyone else in Wifi range could monitor the data being sent over the internet). No password was required to log into the Wifi access point. I sent an email to info but have not received a reply. 1gb per 24 hrs is free, but I am unsure if a warning is given if this is exceeded and a charge will then apply.

2 Poor bathroom design. In this age I would have expected that the bathroom could have been designed better. The shower leaked onto the bathroom floor. The sink was much too close to the shower and could have been built at least another meter away from it making it much easier to get into the shower. A towel is provided to put on the floor near the shower door but this won't stay there when the door is opened. There was an unmarked tripping hazard into the bathroom with a 50mm ramp up.

3 A $3 charge per bottle for bottled water. At up to $350 per night for a room this should have been complimentary.

4 Stove top difficult to use first time as an unmarked switch needs to be operated to make it work (How hard would it be to put a label on this switch. ) The washing machine and dryer require a switch to be operated but this is noted. The room instructions do not mention this switch for the stove top..

5 Cold pool, spa not hot enough.

6 No clothes hanging hooks in bathroom.

7 Tiles in shower and bathroom very slippery when wet.

Room Tip: Book early. Rooms vary greatly in price from between $120 and about $260 for the same room depending...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear kayceesophie,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Meriton Campbell Street, and thanks for your review.

It is pleasing to read that your stay was enjoyable and that you luckily were upgraded to a 1 bedroom sky view apartment for your entire stay. Thank you for your feedback in regards to the apartment. Your comments have been passed to our relevant departments for review as it is feedback such as yours which assists us to continually improve our services to ensure our guests are comfortable during their stay.

As you mentioned we do have complimentary WIFI for all of our guests. I can confirm that it is secure and that each room has a specific password to access the internet. I will also clarify that you will not be charged if you are going to exceed your daily limit, your internet will stop working and you will be prompted to purchase a premium package.

Kayceesophie, thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Petaling Jaya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I checked in August 10,2013- after long and sleepless nite from Kuala Lumpur, I was exhausted. It was before noon, I was hoping to check in upon arrival (reading from guests review, this was possible at times)- as I had requested during reservation.Unfortunately,was informed room was not ready. Though disappointed, I left baggage, went for lunch instead. I love the experience staying in studio , it was well equipped,great location, well, one has to stay there to savour the wonderful experience- no words can describe! However, I have a feeling there is a tinge of discrimination towards some Asian? Only a minor issue which upsets me. I had enquired, about baggage weighing scale,was told to bring luggage to reception, as guests are not allowed to take it.On checking out day, we brought down 5 luggages, but was told scale was missing, it was taken by a guest,and never returned.So,I do not fathom the MSA policy..only preferred guests allowed to borrow? I would definitely be back to MSA no doubt, it would be nice if ALL staffs are equally friendly to ALL guests despite nationality.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
MSA-MGT, Manager at Meriton Serviced Apartments Campbell Street, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Eda67
Thanks for your review. Glad to read you thought it was a great place to stay, certainly 1,000’s of guests agree with you.
It’s sad to read you thought the staff were indifferent with you. Our brand, management and staff are very multicultural. MSA Campbell Street is in the heart of China Town and we have embraced our Asian guests, we have local Asian publications in each of our apartments, and our brand is one of the first hotel chains to widely accept China Union Pay credit cards, we have staff from a variety of backgrounds at all our locations to help with communication in languages other than English.
We hope you will return one day to any of our locations in Sydney, Brisbane and on the Gold Coast, to experience our service that we are proud to deliver and that has receive so many positive Tripadvisor reviews.
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I was in Sydney recently for work and stayed in four different hotels in four nights. This was by far the best. Everything looked brand new, the apartment was clean, quiet and comfortable. I can't recommend this place enough and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

MSACampbellStreet, Manager at Meriton Serviced Apartments Campbell Street, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Dear JimmyBNE,

Thank you for your review.

It is fabulous that your stay at Meriton Campbell Street exceeded the other hotels you stayed in during your visit to Sydney for work. Our team works hard to ensure our guests have a comfortable stay and that the property is well maintained, I am glad you were impressed by our efforts.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Perth, Western Australia, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We stayed at the Meriton for 5 nights in July. Check in on arrival was quick and the staff were helpful and polite.
On entering our one bedroom apartment we were not disappointed.
Spotlessly clean, modern and well equipped.
There was milk,tea and coffee and toiletries to get us started.
Foxtel was a bonus.
A basic clean and beds were made every day.
The apartments were perfectly located to get around.
We got off the train at central station and within a good five minutes we were at the meriton.
Half an hour to walk down to the ferry terminals, with lots of things inbetween.
I will not hesitate to stay there again.
Value for Money?? I would say yes, definately.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Dawne40,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay.

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Your positive feedback on check-in and quality of accommodation will be passed to our team, as it is comments like yours that allow us to strive for customer service excellence on all fronts.

As you mentioned, the location of the apartments is ideal as we are so close to all forms public transport and an abundance of dining options. Next time, why not jump on the free 555 bus that takes you up and down George Street on a daily basis.

Once again, thank you very much for your review and we look forward to hosting your next stay with us at Meriton Campbell Street.

Warm Regards,

Senior Manager on Duty

Been to Meriton Serviced Apartments Campbell Street? Share your experiences!