“Just what we were looking for” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #245 of 5,486 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: For more than a decade, cafe DOV has been a favourite Sydney cafe.Originally in Darlinghurst, we are now located in Sydney's bustling Potts Point, on leafy Victoria Street. Still a locals' favourite, DOV was voted a finalist in the category of Best Breakfast in the 2011 Savour Australia NSW Awards for Excellence.cafe DOV is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We are fully licenced, with a modern, value packed wine list. We are also available for private functions, and can design and cater events tailored for your own location.
Wellington, New Zealand
“Just what we were looking for”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

My husband and I ate at Cafe DOV a couple of weeks ago. We'd unsuccessfully tried to get a table at the renowned Ms G's, but we were told by the wait staff it would be at least 1 to 1 and a 1/2 hours before we got a table, and they didn't seem particularly apologetic - so we left. So glad we did! Wandered down the street a bit further and had a look at the menu for DOV, which sounded great - and it was.

We each had a small main and side dish, and they were all delicious - I had grilled herb chicken thigh with roasted red pepper salsa, eggplant and almonds, and spicy sweet potato with lemon and mint. Husband had grilled polenta with herbs, tomato and parmesan, and parmesan crumbed green tomatoes with basil pesto and aioli. Although we'd ordered small mains I thought they were very generous. Finished off with a dessert of flourless orange cake (beautifully moist), bitter orange coulis, with a couple of complimentary scoops of vanilla bean icecream, kindly suggested by the excellent waitress.

The decor was nice, typical modern cafe style, with a long banquette and cushions along one wall. A nice touch was the water bottle kept in a chilled ice bucket clamped to the side of the table - very handy. The courtyard looked like it would be a nice spot to eat and drink during the day.

Only one annoying thing during our visit to DOV - there was a very loud large party at a table just across from us, which sort of made it difficult to hear at time. The acoustics of the place probably accentuated it a bit.

However, aside from that it was a great meal out - wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. Just wished we'd managed to make it back for brunch or lunch during our time in Sydney! Good value, think the bill came to about AU$70 for food and a drink each.

• Visited March 2013

Belfast, United Kingdom
“Best Breakfast in Sydney”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I was staying in the Mercure Potts Point and I was so pleased that breakfast wasn't included because I found Cafe Dov. I ended up visiting every morning and trying something different on the menu each day. The staff were fantastic and even remembered me from the first day. I can't recommend the pulled pork and beans highly enough as it has to go down as one of my best breakfasts ever. Also, the strawberry and riccotta pancakes are just perfect and not too sweet. Like other reviewers I don't know why this place isn't ranked higher!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Perth
“Excellent service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Attended for dinner with 3 family members just after Christmas. The prices are very reasonably, the wine list excellently selected (they actually choose the wines – not what’s on special on Coles) and the service as I stated, excellent. One of the dinner party sent back a slightly undercooked salmon and they were very apologetic and professionally corrected it. Included complimentary side dish and a completely new salmon followed soon after. Easily recommended for others

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Adelaide SA
“Just so well done, smart thinking people!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

These people have good attention to detail. They are used to providing great service during busy times and are such professional wait staff that they know the level of involvement to have with their customers. Some of the time saving little things - for instance they pop your cutlery in a little container and put it on your table after you have ordered, meaning they choose the cutlery you will need. Sounds small hey - but it matters. It also means you don't arrive to a place that is already set, fiddle with the cutlery and then have them remove it and have to rewash it. Coffee is superb. Bircher muesli very nice, eggs as you like them, extras as the mood takes you...some nice innovative menu twists, gluten free bread and toast available...we've already been back and will go again. Congratulations!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Tipperary, Ireland
“Little Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I cannot understand how this cafe does not rank higher. I came across this great little cafe while staying in the Holiday Inn in Potts Point over the Christmas with my girlfriend, We had breakfast here each morning, 5 in total. I cannot comment on many items on the breakfast menu as I was never able to look beyond a flat white coffee, the porridge and the poached eggs on sourdough. The porridge was by far the nicest I have ever tasted with nuts and prunes included. The eggs were always cooked to perfection.

On our last evening in Sydney we decided to try out the evening menu. We were disappointed we had it so late. We both really enjoyed our meals. We shared the cheese selection for starter. We both found it really tasty and had no trouble clearing the plate! For mains we had the calamari and the fish goujons. While both were really good, we both felt that the fish goujons were one the nicest meals we ate while in Australia,

If you are looking for a small cafe with healthy food, well cooked then look no further than Cafe Dov

• Visited December 2012