“Very Basic Amenities and poor cleaning” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Sydney Potts Point

You added Mercure Sydney Potts Point to your Saves list
Mercure Sydney Potts Point
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   226 Victoria Street cnr Darlinghurst Rd | Potts Point, Sydney, New South Wales 2011, Australia (Formerly Chifley Potts Point)   |
Ranked #105 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
Melbourne, Australia
“Very Basic Amenities and poor cleaning”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

The hotel is well positioned if you want to be in the middle of it all at Kings Cross and great for public transport and eating out. Don't stay here if you don't want stay in an area that has strip clubs, homeless people and suspect street activities. It is lively and quite safe but not for everyone's taste.

I got the impression it has just been taken over as the staff seemed to be trying to work it all out. I stayed 3 nights in a twin room (two king single beds) with my 11 year old son. The room was adequate but in need of refurbishment. The beds were comfortable.

But the hotel felt like it is cutting costs. Everything at a minimum supply: pillows, tea/coffee/shampoo etc very average. I was very surprised the hotel has NO INTERNET except in the lobby on a couple of PC's or plugging your laptop into a cable. No wireless anywhere and nothing in any rooms. They say it is being installed soon. Also no gym, no pool, a sad bar and completely uninhabited restaurant.

The worst aspect was the room servicing/cleaning. On arrival the bathroom smelled bad like it hadn't been properly cleaned (And no I'm not a clean freak OCD). It had a strong urine smell. On the second day when we returned the towels had not been folded, the bathroom bench had not been wiped (toothpaste in the basin) and the toilet very obviously not not been cleaned and still the urine smell remained. When i mentioned this to reception they said they would ahve it seen to straight away but nothing happened. This was the way it was the whole time. I think the cleaners are too rushed perhaps. The beds got made but that was about it. The carpet was not vacuumed and the cups and glasses remained on the bench unwashed from the night before. Crumbs from biscuits still on the table tops.

I would suggest considering the vast array of hotels in the area until this one lifts its game.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
MSPP_MGT, General Manager at Mercure Sydney Potts Point, responded to this review, April 28, 2011
Dear Relentle

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

Firstly please accept my sincere apologies for the issues you have experienced during your stay at the hotel. I was most disappointed to read that on more than one occasion the hotel failed to deliver on the services and facilities expected of a Mercure hotel.

In regards to the cleanliness issues you experienced. It is indeed very embarrassing to read that the level of cleaning was not up to standard and also the repeat of this during your stay. I have personally spoken with the housekeeping team, while some training is still being applied there is no excuse for this effort I can assure you such mistakes will not be repeated.

In terms of the internet access, indeed it is unfortunate that we have not had this facility available as we opened. However as stated the installation of the equipment required has commenced, with broadband and wireless across the whole hotel available from the 2nd May. Of note while the hotel does not have a gym facility onsite, complimentary access is available to Fitness First directly across from the hotel.

Relentle thank you again for taking the time to respond with your feedback, if I can be of any further assistance please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel at your earliest convenience.

Troy Newton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2011 via mobile

Room was ridiculously loud - even for the cross despite being on . Room was small to the point of claustraphobic. Air con was dodgy, a lot of water was wasted with the dodgy plumbing. Location was only assisted by its accessibility to the city centre. Room was the most basic with two king singles and still cost $210/night. Would give this 3stars rather than its self rated 4 and only stayed here as it was a last minute decision made 12 hrs before book in and was all we could afford that was still available.

• Stayed April 2011
Dear Sunshine

Thank you for taking the time to respond with your feedback regarding your recent stay at the hotel.

Firstly please accept my sincere apologies for the issues you have experienced during your stay. I was most disappointed to read that you felt the facilities were not up to standard.

The hotel has and will continue to work through all guest rooms on an ongoing basis to ensure all aspects of each guest room are 100%. I am very sorry to read that on this occasion aspects of your room may have been missed.

Sunshine thank you again for taking the time to respond, if I can be of any further assistance please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel at your earliest convenience.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

I will start by saying that I stayed at the hotel in its first week after opening - and it wasn't really ready for guests. In particular, only a very small selection was available from the room service menu (one hot meal for dinner), the car park was dirty and difficult to enter/exit, and the hotel could not process payment by American Express, or process Accor A-Club membership rewards.

Aside from the factors caused by its recent opening, I found the hotel to be surprisingly good value for money, especially so close to the city.

I usually stay at the Sofitel in Sydney, but I was travelling under my own funds for this trip, and staying for a full week, so decided to choose a better value option.

Because the hotel is new, the bed, TV, bathroom, and furniture were all modern, clean, and new.

Basic amenities were provided in the bathroom (soap, shampoo, etc), although they were not refreshed for the duration of my stay. A full sized work desk with ample power points was built into the room, which also held the television, and provided a good space for luggage storage.

The air conditioning worked, but was noisy, however the rooms themselves must have been well insulated, as I was not disturbed by other guests for the duration of my stay.

The service needs improvement - I ordered two room service dinner meals, and both times the used tray remained outside my room door for a full 3 days (which was unhygienic apart from unsightly), and the cleaning staff share the guest lifts - and weren't afraid to "squash" into the lift with their trolleys full of soiled linens/etc with other guests.

There was no mini bar provided, but there was a fridge, and a Coles directly across the road which was ideal for my week-long stay, and will most likely suit cost-concious travellers.

The glasses, cutlery, kettle, and iron in the room were all new and clean.

Overall, I feel the hotel provided everything I needed for my stay - a quiet, clean, and comfortable room with standard amenities, and the rate that I paid when booking through Accor Advantage Plus was cheaper (at the time) than most other Accor properties in Sydney. I'd give this hotel a tick for the cost-concious or self-funded business traveller, and I imagine it would also make a very practical (although not overly glamorous) base for leisure travellers.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
MSPP_MGT, General Manager at Mercure Sydney Potts Point, responded to this review, April 6, 2011
Dear sdwylie

Thank you for taking the time to respond regarding your recent stay at the hotel. As i'm sure you can appreciate through such feedback like yours we are better able to review and improve the services we offer.

In regards to the delay in removing your room service trays, I have spoken with the F & B Manager to ensure this is investigated along with the current procedure reviewed.

In terms of driveway access, the area does encompass the entrance to our delivery area also, so unfortunately in this instance it appears stock and boxes etc. being moved to another a permanent storage space had not been moved on quickly enough. My apologies for the appearance you encountered. I can assure you however this space is now free from such items.

In terms of room service options, i'm unsure on what details must have been provided to you. As at present we do offer a variety of options via room service and in the restaurant for dinner.

Thank you again for taking the time to provide us with your feedback, if i can be of any further assistance please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel at your earliest convenience.

Adelaide, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2011

This hotel had only been open 10 days when I arrived for a two nightbusiness trip. I paid $229 for a room with a harbour view. Upon checking in, I received a key to room 1302, and it ws quite small and really quite dirty. The walls were stained and it really looks like this hotel had done a very quick touch up job to open on time on what is a fairly rundown place. There was also no facility in the room to use a PC. I returned to reception and asked for a room where I could work and they reassigned me to 1505. This turned out to be the same style room on another floor, again without a desk or chair. The room was not exactly 4-star either. My third trip to recpetion entalied the duty manager takign over my compalint and searching for a room that had a chair and desk. I finally got a decent sized room where I could work. The room was more spacious but a bit scruffy for a newly opened hotel. One of the lampshades was cracked.

As this whole procedure had added an hour, and I was hungry I thought I'd order some room service , but their all night dining menu was not available at 10.30pm! The chef had left for the evening. Man this place was becoming very frustrating.

Howver, the bed was nice and the room was cool in a very humid Sydney.

Breakfast proved a problem too. Firslty the attendant did not understand that Accor Advantage Plus memebrs get a 25% discount on hotel dining so I had to talk him thought it. Secondly, the range of breakfast items was far inferior to other hotesl I have stayed in worldwide, and service was lacking. Seemed every time I needed somethign at this hotel, it was'nt there. No bread for toasting, milk had run outm coffee machine failed. No plates, no glasses for juice and when they did arrive they were hot. Sounds like small annoyances but when they all add up, I was fed up.

I mainly work in Potts Point when in Syndey but I stay at Mercure at Central and commute as there has not been an Accor hotel in Potts Point until this one opened at the beginning of March. I think I wil continue to stay at Mercure Sydney rather than risk the poor service and scruffy rooms,.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Dear Donald Dasher

Thank you for taking the time to respond , as i'm sure you can appreciate through such feedback like yours the hotel is better able to review and improve the services it offers.

Firstly please accept my sincere apologies for the issues you have experienced during your stay, I was most disappointed to read that the hotel failed on more than one occasion to provide you with the service and facilities expected of a Mercure Hotel.

As you quite rightly pointed out the hotel had been open only few days prior to your arrival, while there are at times some small learning curves for the staff and hotel to go through. This is in no way a reasonable excuse for the issues you experienced.

The team here are very proud of ensuring they provide the best level of service possible, and I can assure you as they have assured me these mistakes are certainly one offs and will not occur again in the future.

Thank you again for taking the time to provide us with your feedback, if i can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact directly at the hotel.

Mercure Sydney Potts Point

Been to Mercure Sydney Potts Point? Share your experiences!