“very good and reliable” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Felix Bar & Bistro

Felix Bar & Bistro
Ash Street, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia (City Centre)
Website
Neighborhood: City Centre
Auckland
“very good and reliable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Returned to Felix recently for an early dinner
Once again very good service although why ( a small minority) of the staff have to be so arrogant puzzles me - perhaps they think it is required if working at a"French " restaurant
The restaurant is large and its size rather destroys the bistro feel but it is comfortable and well laid out
Menu is varied and food as was the case with our last visit was delicious and beautifully presented
Wine list is huge and expensive
No complaints and would return again

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

85% Recommend
“Faux pas!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

My wife and I went to Felix last night after seeing the 2 hour line-up for Mr. Wong. Although it looked very busy, we were seated right away after requesting an outside table. Very noisy inside. Our server was excellent. Very personable. We ordered the rib-eye for two. Came out after about 25 to 30 minutes. It was swimming in its own juices which is a major faux pas for beef. It clearly had not been resting properly before being cut and served. Meat was tough and not very flavourful. The accompanying potatoes (pomme de Neuf) were lukewarm. Although atmosphere and our server were great, not coming back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“Magnifique but not quite French”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

- melt in the mouth Lamb with cauliflower and goats cheese Ratatouille. $68 for two with glass of wine, mineral water and dessert $125

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Singapore
“Very enjoyable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Yes, it is pricey, but that's Sydney all over. You need a second mortgage to buy Fish and Chips nowadays, God knows how people afford to live there or eat out more than once a month. (I have a theory that 50 million people must live in Sydney as it is always so busy!)

The facts are it has great decor, excellent and innovative food (they even made cauliflower interesting and taste superb), great wines, exceptional yet friendly service that only top class establishments seem to get right .... and I enjoyed myself so much that I didn't mind paying the bill.

What's not to like?

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“Sort of like a French bistro - but not quite...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

When I first walked in I thought 'Wow' this is authentic but after sitting for a few minutes I changed my mind a bit. It's much larger than any bistro I've been to in France and doesn't have that warm, relaxed but efficient atmosphere. I found being served by 6 different people a bit disconcerting - it took away the relationship that you build up with a server during a meal. I may have detected a slight 'arrogance' with one or two of the servers as well. Thee was just something missing and I feel it was warmth - it was all just a bit too frantic, noisy and busy. The French are more confident and laid back servers in my experience. The food was sort of French - I had skate but it was cooked longer than I've had in France and didn't have the bones. I asked for lemon also as the capers didn't 'cut' the butter enough. Nice choices of French wine though

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere