“Return review - it was better than the first time!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Argentinean
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Sydney, Australia
“Return review - it was better than the first time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

Porteno has the most interesting wait staff and management, all look just that different to the norm.
Retro Hip with matching music - it is quite an interesting feel

But matched with just incredible food. The Wagyu steak is really one of the best I've tried and that includes the many years I lived in Kobe.

A good wine list with some nice choices and not overpriced. Wow

• Visited May 2012

Sydney, Australia
“Lovely food,lovely service ,expensive alcohol”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

At six thirty pm the restaurant was very busy and we were seated examining the wine list aghast at the price of the wines on offer. Thankfully our table of seven included only three serious drinkers. Sadly we did not take the advice of the extremely efficient waiter and ordered two meat dishes too many.The meats,pork,lamb and chicken,were perfectly cooked,the polenta and Brussels sprouts recommended by the waiter were a joy both in taste as well as texture. On reflection the beef would have been a more sensible choice than the chicken. All in all a lovely and almost abstemious evening.

Boston, Massachusetts
“I am hooked”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

I have been to Porteno 4 times now. I am hooked. Its just too hard to go pass. I have taken friends and clients there and they all love it. The bar upstairs is great fun and they know how to mix the drinks. Good place to start a night. Food is rustic. Whole animals cooked over camp fires set the seen and the brussel sprouts are killer (I hate brussel sprouts!!!).
Staff are usually helpful and good fun, but surprisingly coy about recommending anything or ordering for you which I was surprised by.
Winelist is full of South American wines, but the waiters can really help out there if you let them know what you like.
Highly recommended.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Terrific - Pork to die for”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012 via mobile

I conveniently arrived half an hour early on a Wednesday night, and good job too as the queue (which I was at the front) was huge.

ApPart from the food being fantastic, I loved the decor of the place. 1930/40s and the wait staffed styled in this way too. I felt like I'd travelled back in time. The atmosphere was totally genuine.

We were sat right next to the pork rotissery which kept us toasty warm on that cold, wet night. I had to go for the pork as it was right under my nose. All the dishes were delicious. From the pork pate to start, calamari for entree and pork with fennel and apricot salad for main, I couldn't have asked for a nicer meal. All my wines were matched by the wait staff and they were all delicious.

I would return in a heart beat.

Melbourne, Australia
“Finally a great contemporary restaurant in Sydney”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

Great food, great wine, great service. The lamb and pork are signature. You can watch them being cooked on an open fire. Finally a restaurant that rivals Melbournes originals such as Cumulus and Terra Rosa. Yes there is a wait, every night but it is well worth the wait upstairs in the stylish bar and the little extra you will pay. Do yourself a favour and try it out if you already haven't.