“Underwhelming” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
“Underwhelming”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2015

This is my second review of Essen. This time I actually got a table and I got to eat (I had made a booking). I had the pork belly my wife the knuckle and my mum the Schnitzel. The knuckles are pre-boiled then roasted. This is definitely not very German. Knuckles are either roasted OR boiled. The boiled ones are called "Eisbein and are quite different in taste. The belly was average. It was not very crackly and re-heated, you can taste that with pork, a bit dry too. The accompaniments (eg Sauerkraut which you pay extra for) are average. Schnitzel was better at my house the night before. Service was slow considering it was not very busy. OK, I had to try it. I won't be coming again.

The Radler was excellent and hit the spot on a warm steamy afternoon.

Go to Löwenbrau Keller in the Rocks or a Bavarian Beer Cafe instead. Disappointed :-(

Visited March 2015

“Great Pretzels”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2015

Birthday dinner with family at this restaurant based on trip advisor reviews. We enjoyed the food in Germany when we were travelling and sadly this restaurant came no where near it. Not that we expected it would. We were honestly disappointed at the quality of the food from the entrees to the desserts. All meals were disappointing. The pretzels however were great!

Service was lack lustre on a quiet night and we had to ask to have our table cleared as well as ask for drinks when we arrived.

The restaurant decor is rustic and charming and we liked the bench seating available. I'm sure it's a great haunt for Uni students some of whom were very rowdy on the night.

• Visited February 2015
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Good vibe - perfect for a night out with the guys”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2015

My wife and I bought an online voucher to come here so our menu was set. We started with a German beer which was good and a hot salty pretzel which was very tasty.

Our mains arrived a little faster than we would have liked making us think they were just trying to trying to turn tables but we asked them to wait before bringing dessert which they did happily. The main was chicken schnitzel with rosti and cabbage. It was all nice except for them putting the sauce onto the schnitzel which meant it was not as crispy as it should have been.

Their on tap beer selection is also great.

For dessert we had a chocolate and an apple strudel. Both were nice. Not amazing though.

“Great birthday venue.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2015

We took 14 friends there last Friday night and it was brilliant! The food took a while to get to our table but the place was packed and staff working their hardest to please everyone. We started with pretzels and savoury bread then started on our mains. I had chicken schnitzel with pepper sauce which was wonderful. Others had pork knuckles or schnitzels with different sauces. Nobody went home hungry and the cost was reasonable.
We'll be back soon.

• Visited January 2015
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Squaw Valley, California
“Great German food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2014 via mobile

Had been recommended by a friend as I was seeking to eat pork knuckle.. I was not disappointed as it was cooked perfectly. The rest of our party had schnitzel with gypsy tomato sauce. All great meals but you really need to go with an empty stomach.

My favourite was the pickles and warm garlic olives as well as my knuckle. They had a great selection of German beers, schnapps and ciders. The lychee cider was good.

Atmosphere was very European and a bit noises but was just like being in Germany at any family restaurant.

Will be back again but will only order half of the food and we will share as the meals were big enough for 2.

Visited December 2014