“Great facilities but terrible customer service!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Bounce Sydney

You added Bounce Sydney to your Saves list
Bounce Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Next to Central Station | 28 Chalmers Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2010, Australia   |
Ranked #5 of 134 Specialty Lodging in Sydney
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Perth, Australia
“Great facilities but terrible customer service!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

Stayed here for the second time now. Great hostel, great facilities but I thought this situation wasn't handled well....

Since my partner and I like to party but hate being woken up when we do sleep we chose to go in a 4-bed room. We were here for 4 nights and on the morning from our third night the guy that was staying up and left about 8:00am but then ANOTHER guy came in said that his mate said he could sleep in his bed dumped his stuff and then climbed in the bed. Since I had no idea if this guy was a legit guest and not happy about having a randomer in the bed above me so I reported it to the staff who stated "he should not be in there", went into my room, seen he was asleep... and then left him there! Then an hour later I went back down to ask if they were gonna do anything about it they said they'd wait till check out time to see if he was a guest. This is not satisfactory just letting anyone stay in the room I have paid to have a bed in and not check if they were a guest staying in another room or a random person off the street. This hostel does have great security measures with the key cards but this was unsafe!

Previous time I have stayed here (june) I paid to be in a all girls dorm. In the morning I was getting ready to go out (changing ect) when there was a quick knock knock and then the door opened shortly to a group of men in suits and a staff member showing them around. If you are going to bring men into a girls dorm maybe you should let them know first!

In this stay also I paid to wash my clothes in the facility with washing powder and then after I washed it they still smelt (no ones socks smell great after walking around all day!) I went down to ask if they could do me another wash because I didn't want to pay to wash my clothes again. The receptionist shrugged told me I must "really smell bad" and then said there was nothing they could do about it! Poor customer service and insulting guest is not one of my top fave things for staying at a hostel.

I was given a feedback form before I left and gave this feedback (over 4 moths ago) with my email address and never received an apology. I guess when you're one of the top hostels you don't care about the feedback from your guest.

Maybe I was just really unlucky with my two stays but I can certainly say I won't be staying here again!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Staff were all cracking, kitchen very clean, loads of room, lots of food storage space.

Lounge upstairs is nice, well furnished, cleaned and tidied every day efficiently.

Staff very nice and helpful, ask them any question about getting around or things to do etc, and they'll have a good answer.

Rooms are modern and clean, ample locker space. Never really felt like my belongings or security was under threat.

Awesome location, stone throw from Central station and walking distance of pretty much all of Sydney.
Pretty danm good as a Hostel, I would definitely recommend above others for anyone travelling in sydney.

Room Tip: All decent, go for mixed 4 if you want better sleep/less disturbance etc
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Mougins, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

I stayed 3 nights at the Bounce.
It's a nice hostel, very clean.
The staff was lovely.
It's a shame there is no free wi-fi and no breakfast option.
No big deal about the terrace, you can see central station, not the best sight in town...

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Bounce is well located, very near the train station, but not noisy. I stayed in a private room with my husband and son. There was a private bathroom. It was cleaner and better appointed than many hotels I have stayed in. But it was quite expensive $167.00 for the 3 of us for one night.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

Arrived here having read amazing reviews and was under whelmed. The hostel was clean and the room had good facilities. The place is more like a hotel and has a corporate feel lacking the welcoming touch of other less glamorous hostels. There was no great effort to host activities and the wi fi access was a joke, constantly switching off despite being charged for it.

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
The Hague, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

Great hostel with a luggage locker with 2 plugs in it. Comes in handy with all the stuff I cary nowadays. Close enough to CBD and a bar next door. Clean and not overly busy during the night.

Couldn't check in untill 14, while I arrived at 8.00 and even the bathrooms open with the key card.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here while in Sydney. Great location, 45 min walk to the Sydney Opera House and 15 min walk to Town Hall.

Only criticism is that refrigerator space is very limited...so good luck!

Other than that, great place to stay.

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Been to Bounce Sydney? Share your experiences!