“Worst of the BBC restaurants” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3,117 of 4,256 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: German, Swiss, European, Central European
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Located in the heart of Sydney's Famous entertainment precinct, Bavarian Bier Cafe EQ combines our renowned Bavarian hospitality with a family-friendly atmosphere, making it a truly unique venue. Perfect for birthdays, special occasions and corporate events, our two huge levels and large alfresco dining area can cater for functions of all sizes. With our delicious Bavarian cuisine on the menu and a wide range of authentic Pure Biers on tap, it's a great choice for pre- and post-movie or show dining and drinks.
Sydney, Australia
“Worst of the BBC restaurants”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Food is as good as it is at all the Bavarian Bier Cafe restaurants, however the service is horrendous!

We had a booking for 7pm, arrived at 6:55pm, the table wasn't ready, fair enough, we were early, 15 mins later, they still hadn't seated us. Then, at 7:15, after waiting 20 mins, we were seated, and promptly ignored for another 15. Our drinks/entree order wasn't even taken. After collaring a waiter, we placed our order, including mains because we'd waited that long that we had selected them already. The entrees came out quickly, but the drinks didn't, so we'd finished our entrees before the drinks had arrived.

It didn't get any better from there. We then waited another 30 mins for mains to come out, which we wouldn't have minded if the restaurant was busy, however it was nearly empty by the time our mains were being cooked, and we'd both ordered schnitzels, how long does it take to cook a schnitzel???

I had to collar the waiter again, and he was genuinely shocked that we hadn't got our mains yet (his exact words were "Oh, that's ridiculous, I'm so sorry!"), he went and spoke to the kitchen, and almost immediately it came out.

Even paying was terrible, we waited 10 mins after our plates were cleared, no one even asked if we wanted desert, we just sat there. In the end, we got up and walked to the counter, and pointed at our table and paid for our meal. We weren't even offered a discount for the terrible service!

Oh, and don't even ask about the atmosphere! It was like being in a crowed, echoey room, no ambiance to speak of, just noise!

• Visited September 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Singapore, Singapore
“Wide selection of beer”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012 via mobile

We went to this restaurant because one of our friends has a voucher. The beer selection was good. Food and service was not great. Overall the food was all too salty. Anyway, we had a great night out - thanks to nice beer and good company!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“Great food, average service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

The Bavarian Bier Cafe is a good place to sample traditional Bavarian food and a selection of German beers, but the service leaves a lot to be desired. I have been to a few of these places in various spots in Sydney, but this visit was the most recent. The service with regard to bringing out the food, to checking to see if you require anything, to the bill at the end of the meal is all lacking. I had to ask where our food was after waiting for over 30 minutes for a shared entree, plus I had to go to the counter for the bill at the end as waiting for 15 minutes and trying to catch the eyes of the waitstaff wasn't very effective. The worst thing was that on the day we went for lunch, it was very, very quiet, so the lack of service was inexcusable. We will return, but for the great schnitzels and beer, not for the service.

• Visited September 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,561 helpful votes
“A Birthday Celebration to REGRET”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

I think my biggest mistake was thinking I could have my milestone 40 th there and it would be fun. I couldn't have been further from the truth. I asked for a inside table when I booked and paid a deposit which they do when yo book 15 people. But we got an outside table. I have eaten here before so I was looking forward to it, but the second let down was there where no Pretzels and we were told not only had they run out but run out two days earlier. So no one know how to bake a pretzel?
The restaurant was full, it was busy and the staff looked overwhelmed, it was hard to get their attention, I did have the idea of enjoying my birthday but this was quickly descending into a disaster. I wanted an entre but it was brought to my attention that that would only further hold up meals as they where taking 45 mins + to come out so I went for my Favourite pork knuckle and didn't have pretzels or an entre or a cosy table so I could enjoy my Birthday with my friends. There was no up selling there was no feeling special, and getting more drinks whilst we waited we worked out it was faster to go,to the bar and buy a round and serve our selves. When the food did come two of my friends didn't like there's one was fish and chips and chips were coldish and the other was calamari,, he dislike the texture and taste and was offered a replacement but we had waited so long he said not to bother, so a guest at my party was not happy, so I was not happy. My meal was smaller and dryer than previous knuckles, all the plates looked rushed put together without care.
This was the worst Birthday celebration of my life, it was a disastrous meal and there was no management intervention or offer of free drinks or some gesture to make things better. I felt ashamed and let down and will never go there again.
I RECOMEND if your having some European nostalgia and want a good meal go the the Belgian Bier Cafe at the rocks as they now have my business, even though I live closer to the entertainment quarter.
The Bavarian Beirut cafe ruined my birthday, did nothing to make it better and I'm am sorry to my 15 guests that we went there.

• Visited January 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Unimpressed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

Do not go here unless you love heavy Bavarian food as the menu offers little else. Some might say this is justified in view of the restaurant name but of the alternatives offered, one was sent back uneaten and another half eaten due to both meals being badly cooked. To be fair a credit was given for the uneaten meal. The service was slow even though the waitress was doing her best. It took an hour or so to receive our meals. Myself and another one in our party sustained damage from the table post as it was so hard to sit down. We were a birthday gathering of 12 prebooked. If you love pork knuckles then give it a go, if not you will eat better elsewhere

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere