“Fourth visit was just as good as the first. Perfection” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sake Restaurant & Bar

Sake Restaurant & Bar
12 Argyle Street | The Rocks, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia (City Centre)
+61 (2) 9259 5656
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #95 of 5,305 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Large groups, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: City Centre
Description: Set within an impressive designer space in the historic Argyle Precinct at The Rocks, Saké Restaurant & Bar serves up contemporary Japanese fare created by sushi master Shaun Presland, who draws on authentic Japanese training to present an outstanding mix of new-style sushi and classic dishes.Shaun’s menu changes with the seasons and is perfectly matched to a premium range of imported sakes, allowing guests to gain greater insight into the age-old Japanese tradition of delicately balancing flavours. Awarded with a coveted Sydney Morning Herald Good Food Guide Chef’s Hat each year since opening, Saké is sure to exceed your expectations. Call in for cocktails, pull up a seat at the sushi bar or settle in with friends for the evening and savour the experience!
Sydney, Australia
“Fourth visit was just as good as the first. Perfection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I have frequented sake a few times now and I have been impressed each time I have visited. The wine list is great and all the dishes are brilliant. I attended both at lunch time and in the evening. My partner took me here for my birthday which is my most recent and we had a wonderful evening. The popcorn shrimp is one of my favourite dishes. I like the atmosphere and the staff are attentive and prompt. I will visit again in the near future for sure.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Great food, outstanding service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

I just loved the food, the Shumai, steamed prawn dumplings with ponzu. That being said the wagyu tartare with fried egg purée & sweet potato crisp came in a close second. Looking forward to returning.

Maputo
“Mouth watering food but ...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We have dined here a few times and found that some of the staff's attitude is quite pretentious. Each time we have entered the restaurant we've been greeted by grim-faced female staff standing at a small podium.

Once we are seated, our waitperson hangs around the table for too long listening to the sounds of his voice. Great food, but you pay the price, and we don't mind paying the price if the service is genuinely friendly and obliging.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Warsaw, Poland
“Delicious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Nice interior combined with great food.
During lunch there was a mixed crowd, although dominated by business people, quite a few of them obviously regulars. Our attentive waitress was competent, knowledgeable and very friendly.
The karage was slightly on the salty side, exactly as I hoped it would be.
Only one dish was 'tasty, but not great' - the miso soup. Due to the quality and gorgeous presentation of the other dishes, this is easily forgotten and I'd happily recommend Sake to friends

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sydney
“A Wannabe that does not quite deliver on the promise”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Upon booking we were offered a 'Booth' which we greatly accepted. Upon arrival we were shown to a table in the middle of this very noisy restaurant. To the staff's credit this was rectified when we pointed it out. The food was described by our waiter as Japanese Tapas i.e it is meant to be shared. I thought this a little pretentious as most Asian food is meant to be shared.
We chose the 'Signature Dish' degustation which consisted of 8 courses. The Wagyu Teriyaki and the Cod lettuce Cups were outstanding. However the Kingfish jalapeno had come straight from the fridge (the serving plate was very cold) and the Panko Rice balls had come straight from the deep fryer as they almost burnt the roof of my mouth.
The highlight was the Sake Sommelier who chose three different sake's for us to match each part of the meal. He explained how the premium Sake's are made and why he chose each one for that part of the meal. This was a highlight.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere