“Fine food with a wonderful atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rockpool Bar & Grill

Rockpool Bar & Grill
66 Hunter St, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia (City Centre)
+61 2 8078 1900
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #119 of 5,322 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Bar scene, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: City Centre
Sydney, Australia
“Fine food with a wonderful atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Certainly one of the finest dining experiences anywhere. All the food is stunning, and cooked to perfection. A great range of mains and selection of sides. The steak (450g dry aged rib eye on the bone) filled the plate and was every bit as tender and delicious as you could want a steak to be.

My second time at Rockpool Bar & Grill, and thoroughly enjoyed.

Great service. Done well and proper, but not snobby and pretentious.

Starter, main (with sides) and dessert plus drinks doesn't leave much change from $130 per head.

I'll be back.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Indonesian first
Greenwich, Australia
“Great venue, good menu, very nice food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

The architecture and decor are very cool and the place was very busy when we visited there for lunch recently. No wonder it's so popular really, it would be very easy to become a regular here because the overall formula is impressive. It's a big place that seats a lot of people.

I loved the options provided by the food and wine menus which are very extensive. Everything on the menu they do well. I wasn't blown away by the experience (it wasn't amazing fine dining) but it was very good and I highly recommend it.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bristol
“Good food. Tables too close. Stilted Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We started with cocktails in the bar which was excellent. The main dining room is a bit like a modern cathedral and has a very impersonal feel. Given the price tag that comes with the food here, the tables are absurdly close together. We could easily have joined in the conversations with our neighbours on either side. What was odd was that only about 7 tables out of the 30 odd were busy, but they decided to sit most of us side by side, when they could have spread us out and provided a bit more privacy.

The service was good but a bit strange. Our waiter topped up my water glass with the wrong water (which didn't really bother me), and his reaction was such that I felt he thought he was going to get the sack. Many restaurants are ruled by fear rather than by excellent management, and perhaps this is one of those. The sommelier was very good, but hardly friendly. Generally I had the feeling that they were fearful, and never got the feeling that they LOVED their jobs, which we have got from other top restaurants.

We both had the grain fed steak and it was excellent. But at the end of the day a steak is just a steak. You don't need to be a culinary genius to cook it.

So, whilst the food is good, the overall ambience is really lacking. Given the immense price tag that comes with the privilege of eating here, that's really not good enough. What is revealing is the following: Our first choice of restaurant for this night was Quay, but when we tried to book to eat there 2 months earlier we were advised we couldn't get a reservation for 6 months. So instead we booked Rockpool and got in easily, and on the night most of the tables were empty.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Vancouver
“Great Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Sydney seems to have a great food scene and this place, while In Your Face, was fantastic.

The venue is fantastic. It's apparently an old bank and it's been decorated right. I really, really liked it - although as I mentioned it's a bit 'in your face' and ostentatious, but whatever, it makes no apologies.

The service was fantastic. Our second bottle of wine was very slightly oxidized and didn't taste identical to the first bottle we'd had. The sommelier tried it and agreed and brought another bottle over without a fuss.

What you want to eat at Rockpool is the steaks. I had the ribeye and was not disappointed. It wasn't wagyu but whatever, it was great.

I can't wait to return next time I'm in Sydney!

• Visited March 2013
Melbourne, Australia
“Didn't settle well”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

When the food first arrive I was excited. The presentation was excellent but as I began eating the food it did not settle well, and what followed was an uncomfortable night. The service and atmosphere of the restaurant were excellent but let down by the food.

• Visited May 2012