“A bit of a let down” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Rockpool Bar & Grill

Rockpool Bar & Grill
66 Hunter St, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia (City Centre)
+61 2 8078 1900
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #115 of 5,306 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Bar scene, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: City Centre
“A bit of a let down”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our first wedding anniversary at Rockpool Bar and Grill. I have been living in Sydney for 5 years and have always wanted to dine at Rockpool Bar & Grill based on its glowing reviews from friends, however because it is expensive I have reserved dining here for a special occasion.

I was not overly impressed with the restaurant's layout and decor upon arrival. The tables are placed very closely together and there is no privacy from other diners.

The food itself was a big let down. The bread rolls were cold and hard. My husband and I both found we struggled to find items off the menu that were appealing. We shared the fried calamari starter, and for mains shared the wagu chock and mussel stew. The wagu chock was delicious but the rest of the food was very average. We only each ordered 1 cocktail each because the drinks weren't that amazing and were really pricey. We didn't stay for dessert although the table next to us ordered profiteroles which looked very nice.

Overall I found Rockpool Bar & Grill disappointing. Perhaps my expectations were too high (but for the price of the meals and drinks I feel high expectations are warranted). I wouldn't go back again.

Visited March 2013

• Indonesian first
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

Went for dinner Monday night, having heard so much about their wagyu burger ($24). What a disappointment. The beef didn't taste like wagyu, and whole burger was only luke warm. Seriously, "the burgers taste better at Hungry Jacks". We had to order the hot chips as an additional side. These came with fancy dipping bowls of tomato sauce, aioli, whatnot, but the chips were a little on burnt side and really nothing to write home about. After we finished our meal, we were brought a small bowl of snacks which resembled coated peanuts but on tasting, was soggy popcorn- not sure why they gave this to us. The ambience however was great- dark (be prepared to use your phone to read the menu), very relaxed , modern decor. The wait staff were friendly and polite. A cool place to hang out if you've got an expense account. .

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“oddly oppressive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

The food in general is very good, and le menu is surprisingly extensive.
What detracted from the evening were the waitstaff. In my opinion they were intrusive to quite enjoyment. We could not continue our conversations among ourselves without needing to abruptly attend to them. I didn't manage to sit down without them asking for my drink order when the drink menu hadn't been touched. It was attentiveness without intuition.

An establishment with consistent food, but the service, oddly jarring, made us feel we had to leave as soon as we were food.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“Delicious food and excellent service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Dined at Rockpool for my husband's birthday and we were not disappointed. The food was delicious and our waitress and sommelier were very attentive and helpful. We thoroughly enjoyed our entrees of Warm Salad of Wood Fire Grilled Quail and Crudo of Yellow Fin Tuna, Snapper and Ocean Trout and for my main the Free range chicken from the wood fired rotisserie was well worth the wait. The dessert menu is not as extensive but the doughnuts were a great way to end a very enjoyable and romantic evening

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne
“Grand art deco building and fantastic dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Rockpool Bar & Grill is excellent. It is known for its meat so if you don't like beef, don't go there. The steaks are superb, the service excellent and the room...well it is a grand 1930s building and sets an amazing mood. We had a great time.

Visited January 2013