“Treated Like Family” 4 of 5 stars
Review of City Lodge

You added City Lodge to your Saves list
City Lodge
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Level 2, 15-17 Hunter Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Ranked #56 of 65 Sydney B&B and Inns
San Antonio, Texas
“Treated Like Family”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

City Lodge is a simple, low cost, and endearing place. Don't let the gang signs on the door scare you off. I don't know why they won't get those intimidating ,spray painted squiggles removed, because it just wrecks any first impression. But, haul your bags up the stairs and you enter a gentle environment with great service, free wifi, free printing of documents,and a kind caring staff. There is a full community kitchen and a sitting room. The rooms have views of brick walls, but you're not staying in City Lodge for the view. You're staying because it's a short walk to everything in downtown Sydney without exploding your budget. You can jog to Hyde Park, two movie theaters and great grocery stores as well as Circular Quay and all its attractions are within walking distance.

Room Tip: Don't request, DEMAND that you stay in a room away from Hunter Street. The garbage is collected...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

This place gets a 4-rating purely based on the fact that where it is situated there is nothing around that area of the CBD at that price that is comfortable and clean without having to spend well over AUD$200 per night (relatively speaking, despite it not being THAT cheap).

In between George & Pitt streets and only a 5 min walk to Circular Quay, 10 mins to the Rocks and 15 min walk to Darling Harbour, being able-bodied and moderately fit, I'm more than happy to brave climbing stairs with my weekend luggage to get to my room (no elevators and not much help around with the luggage, so be warned).

The room and bathroom was clean, the AC and the wifi worked and the bed was comfortable. The service was poor mainly because I hardly ever saw anyone at the reception desk. You are also only given one key card access. If you do arrive late, there is a number you can call on the door (so panic for me was at least averted). If you have a car, note there is ABSOLUTELY NO PARKING associated with the hotel so expect to pay through your nose for it if you are there on a weekday (the weekend rates are pretty decent though). Weekend rate @ Secure Parking @ 109 Pitt street, 2 mins walk around the corner, is $12 weekend flat rate.

Overall, I've likened the stay to a superior hostel room but with own separate bathroom, tea/coffee making facility, basic minibar and better bedding. I've stayed around a few places in Sydney CBD and out of the options this place is good and comfortable for what it is and the location is just fantastic, meaning I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Noise-wise, on occasion I was disturbed by a few people moving up and down the stairs, but I'm n...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Fordingbridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I last visited City Lodge 2 years ago & it has gone downhill a bit since then. It is now looking very tired & shabby, especially the entrance.
I had a major problem this time just getting inside. My long haul flight landed at 8.30 pm & I knew that the reception closed at 10 pm so I e mailed them beforehand to ask what I needed to do. They said there was no problem as they would leave my room key on the reception desk (along with a note of the wifi password which I would need urgently for business purposes). What they failed to think through was the fact that the main door from the street would be locked and I would need a key to get in!! I took the shuttle bus from the airport which took ages & had loads of drop offs before mine. I didn't arrive until 10.30 pm. The door was locked. There was a buzzer at the side which brought no one. There was a tel no so I asked a taxi driver to ring it for me - still no answer. It was now past 11 pm & I was getting a bit panicky (being a single female travelling alone). I then tried the buzzer again & just kept my finger on it. Finally, 15 minutes later a sleepy Chinese girl appeared. There was no apology.
I already knew about the stairs & just had to brace myself for it. (Sods law, I was on a very high up floor - oh joy). There was some writing on a post it note on my key so I assumed (wrongly) that it was the wifi password. That left me at midnight trying to find someone still awake in the hotel (as the Chinese girl had well & truly disappeared again by this point) so that I could find out the password. I needed to deal with my business e mails urgently at this point.
There were a few improvements since my last visit. There were now mini fridges in the rooms + kettles & tea making facilities. Free wifi is now available throughout the entire hotel.
My room was looking much shabbier than my last visit. Stains on the carpet were bad. The bedspreads were looking quite scruffy.
There were all sorts of bugs that kept appearing from the back of the cupboard where the tea tray was positioned. They were like very small cockroaches. In fact, I did spot a cockroach very early the following morning. I saw it scurry into the laundry area.
I didn't need to use the kitchen facility this visit (my fridge/kettle etc was sufficient for my needs).
The biggest plus for me for this hotel is its location. It is between George & Pitt Street in the CBD. It is close to the train station & just a 5 minute walk to the Botanic Gardens, Harbour & lots of the main things to see.
As I was disappointed that it was a bit run down now, I did look around the area to see if there were any other hotels that I could 'google' & see what their prices were like. There really is very little else around. There was one place just over the road (can't remember the name now - sorry). That place was truly appalling & its reviews made very interesting reading. It made me very happy to be where I was.
For my next visit to Syndey, I will still be booking the City Lodge. It ticks virtually all the boxes of what I need so I just have to put up with a few difficulties.

Room Tip: Not too high up if you have heavy luggage but you probably don't want to be too near reception.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Arrived from the UK two days after we set off at 8pm Oz time. We had read reviews that highlighted the absence of a lift as a serious issue but we didn't really pay much attention to them because we knew we would only have to drag our suitcases up them once. However after an absolutely dreadful flight I could barely drag myself up them let alone a 23kg suitcase. There isn't any room for a lift but surely the receptionists could offer a hand.

We were relieved to find out we were on the first floor, the room right next to reception (201). I feel sorry for anyone who has to drag their cases up another two flights, it's really not practical.
But being right next to reception meant we heard every movement, conversation & door slam the receptionists made. And there was a ridiculous amount of door slamming early in the morning. They seemed completely unaware guests might be trying to sleep.

Wifi was free but did not work at all when we first tried to connect. Asked the receptionist and was told 'Oh the signal doesn't work in your room. It does in the laundry room though.' She didn't seem to care at all. A few days later though another two wifi signals miraculously appeared as if someone had bothered to turn them on! Although it was a pain at first once sorted the wifi was really useful & reliable. Good enough signal & speed to Skype relatives back home.

Woke up one morning and I could hear a dripping noise. And then a downpour. Leapt out of bed to discover the ice in the fridge/freezer had melted all over the floor. I dashed to reception to explain & she just said the maid had done it. Her solution was to give us more towels. No apology or explanation, a warning or even a bucket to catch the water would have been appreciated.

The two of us are travelling for 3 months so we have a lot of clothes. The room has very little storage and we were only provided with 4 hangers between the two of us, we asked could we possibly have some more but were told they had none. So for two weeks our room was a complete tip.

Every day without fail the maid would make our beds & leave fresh towels and complementary toiletries. But I don't think she actually ever cleaned. The build up of dust after two weeks was disgusting.

The receptionists left at 10pm & returned at 8am. It seemed when she left the air con which is centrally controlled was turned off. After two seriously hot & uncomfortable nights I went to seek out a fan after hours. Found the most brilliant fan in the living area. Seriously if you're staying there go grab the black fan from behind the sofas. It makes things a lot better.

Eating out in Sydney is so expensive. We raided Woolworths one night so we could eat in a few nights using the kitchen facilities. That was a real gross experience. Just don't open the fridge. Trust me you do not want to see what's in there! On the surface everything seems clean but when you start to open drawers it becomes disgusting. Cutlery & pots are unclean, some still with food stuck to them, and there's no efficient way of cleaning them. I grabbed the sponge & bugs crawled out of it. Definitely wasn't touching that again so we started cleaning things in our own sink. Each room has a fridge big enough to store a decent amount of food in so it's definitely a better idea to use that one.

BUT

The location is superb! It took us about 5 minutes to walk to the harbour & the royal botanical gardens are just up the road. It really can't be beaten for the price.

Plus the washing facilities are free which is incredibly handy if you're there for a while like we were.

Even though I wanted to fling the door open each morning to tell the receptionists to politely shut up (I am not a morning person) I would definitely recommend this place purely for the location, free wifi and wash facilities if you are able to ignore the rest of it.

The receptionists were completely oblivious but they were always friendly & polite.

We are students on a budget so do not mind slumming it, we were able to laugh it off but after 2 weeks we were ready to leave/bolt for the exit.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Arrived after a 38 hour flight, stairs were annoying but not too bad we were on the first floor too so it didn't really bother us. When we first arrived the wifi in our room didn't work, the people in reception didn't seem to care and just said that the reception isn't always great?! Despite this after a few days it sorted itself out and the wifi was working. A few days into our stay we woke to find that our fridge was leaking and there was water all over the floor (centimetres away from an ipad and iphone) the lady from reception just said that a maid had turned it off for some reason, as if it was okay. For two travellers it was expensive to eat out every night so we decided to use the kitchen facilities, really wish we hadn't! There is no oven for one thing and the surface area and utensils aren't the cleanest, however we are students so we don't mind scrumming it a tad. The freezer on the other hand was too far! Someone had left a piece of meat in it so it had gone off and now had a collection of dead flies round it! Made me want to vom. The rooms themselves are very small and only a few hangers between two. The beds are very comfy and the wardrobe has a large mirror which is nice. However trying to sleep in the hotel is incredibly difficult, you can hear everything everywhere! There was a
child crying for so many of the nights which the parents seemed to bring into the reception as not to wake anyone else in their room. I know this isn't the hotels fault but they could of asked them to take the child back into the room as not to wake any other guests up! You can constantly hear people thudding up and down the stairs and the sound of people slamming doors! The location of the hotel is great, the free washer and dryer was a huge plus for us too.

• Stayed February 2013
Castillos, Uruguay
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Although the hotel itself is a bit of a disappointment in terms of interior, its' position is excellent. You can take the city train direct from the airport and arrive 30 meters from the front door. it is within easy walk of the main points of interest (Chinatown, The Rock, George Street,etc) and surrounded by excellent eating places.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

I have stayed in many hotels over the years. City Lodge is poor. We got the dreaded room 204. Anyone remember The Shining? It wasn't quite that bad but not far off. Save your money and go somewhere decent.

• Stayed February 2013

Been to City Lodge? Share your experiences!