“Welcomed like family” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf

You added Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf to your Saves list
Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   22 Shelley Street | King Street Wharf, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Special Offer
Early Booking Offer
Ranked #81 of 185 Hotels in Sydney
Auckland
“Welcomed like family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2010

We've stayed at Ibis, King Street Wharf 3 or maybe 4 times now. Staff are so friendly that they greet us as if we were family or friends. They chat with us, recalling previous conversations yet they never relax on professionalism, such as when phoned at 2am about the aircon (yes it is noisy and a little difficult to set just right) they clearly explain how to set it; when asked for directions or help with deciding transport options to the airport or how to get right out of town to Glenmore Park (near Penrith) they are quick to help.

Sydney has very expensive hotels with poor service from our experience and Ibis is like a "breath of fresh air". Our four nights stay from 30th Jan seemed expensive but was priced less than other comparable hotels.

Welcoming, quiet, safe, clean,great location, helpful staff, what more can anyone want? The staff are human enough that sometimes things don't go according to plan i.e a forgotten towel or pillow and I much prefer this to the stuffy proper-ness of some other establishments. We didn't eat breakfasts as although these are inexpensive we found them lacking in variety (no gluten free and no muesli on a previous stay) but there's a cafe next door and a 24hour store across the road, and of course so many restaurants on Darling Harbour. For good food that's less expensive than most we recommend Wagamama (on same street as hotel).

Our sincere thanks to Ibis King Street Wharf. We will stay with you again but as our son has now moved to Sydney we'll stay with him sometimes. Did I mention we were upgraded to a superior room on this visit! Thank You

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
IBISKINGSTREETWHARF, General Manager at Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf, responded to this review, March 7, 2010
Dear 'HolidayVibes'

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf, I was so pleased to see that your hotel stay and service made such an impression for your holiday

Regards

Benjamin Krieg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2010

We stayed in this hotel two separate times - at the beginning and end of a cruise. The hotel is clean and very well situated to the Aquarium and the wharf area. The rooms are small, beds comfortable and have basic bathroom amenities. My main complaint is the lack of service and the less than warm reception we received. Our friends asked for more pillows. They were told they would be right up with them - they were never delivered. Our TV was not working. We told reception on our way out in the morning. We were told they would have someone up to fix it while we were out for they day. No one ever came to look at it.

We prepaid our stay to secure the internet price. When we were checking out, we were told that we had not paid. Even after showing them the computer print out we made of the transaction, they insisted "their records" did not show that we had pre-paid. I would recommend bringing the copy of the credit card statement with you to prove that you have paid. We had to pay them again and take care of the double charge with our credit card company when we got home.

FYI on internet use - there is a charge of $11/hr if you use your computer in the room. There are 2 computers in the lobby that charge $2 for 20 minutes.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
IBISKINGSTREETWHARF, General Manager at Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf, responded to this review, February 21, 2010
Dear 'ConnecticutCatlady'

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf, I am sorry that you did not enjoy some aspects of your stay, but am pleased to see you enjoyed the location and facilities provided,

With relation to your credit card duplicate charge, please feel free to contact myself directly and I will gladly look into this for you, as I am surprised if the staff have advised this charge was not in the system that you have in fact been double charged, as we run one single system which is balanced daily and can not be balanced with any monies charged and not allocated to a guest account.

There is definitely no need to bring credit card transaction reports to the hotel upon arrival, I can confirm that on occasions due to the numerous third party accommodation providers we partner with, that sometimes depending on the wording on their website, it can be inferred that deposits have been retained however usually the credit card is simply used as a guarantee.

MY contact details and email address are all located on the hotel website, or you can respond via TripAdvisor with your stay details, so that I can resolve any charging issues you may have encountered.

Amsterdam
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

This hotel is very expensive considering the size of the rooms and the fact that everything extra (e.g. internet) will cost you a lot of money. Even paying cost you money as there is a surcharge for credit card payments!!! This is ridiculous for a hotel from a chain like Accor. Front desk staff is clumsy and not well informed. Due to bad advise of the front desk in connection with the airport pick up service we arrived 2,5 hours before departure at the airport (in the very early morning!) instead of 1 hour (which is required for domestic flights). Never again. Sydney offers much better (and cheaper) options.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
IBISKINGSTREETWHARF, General Manager at Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf, responded to this review, February 20, 2010
Dear 'damaAMSTERDAM'

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf, I was dissapointed you did not enjoy aspects of your stay

With relation to your displeasure with the credit card surcharge is easily avoided by booking your next stay on-line at accorhotels. This will ensure you are exempt from the surcharge for all charges related to your stay

There are also several payment options which ensure that this surcharge is avoided by paying in cash and EFTPOS for your final bill, this information is also displayed at reception.

I will look forward to welcoming you back to Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf in the near future

Niagara Falls, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2010

Recently stayed at this hotel for two nights after completing a cruise. It is so close to the #8 Wharf in Darling Harbour where we docked, we walked our cases from one to the other. The hotel is not a big plush one, but an ideal one. Rooms minimalistic but compacted nicely, and spotlessly clean, not noisy even though the highway backs on the hotel. Location perfect to go to Darling Harbour, Maritime Museum, Imax, Aquarium, and cafes and eateries. We even walked to Circular Quay from here and got the ferry back. I was really happy with my choice, and the price for Sydney was terrific. Great work to Mr. Krieg and his staff.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
IBISKINGSTREETWHARF, General Manager at Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf, responded to this review, February 15, 2010
Dear 'Joanie'

Thank you for your recent review and kind words for Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf, I am so very pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and found the location so convenient for everywhere you needed to visit in Sydney.

ShellsO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2010

These rooms are very small, and the window even more so. HOWEVER, if you are after a new, clean room in an easily accessable location (great for King St Wharf, Darling Harbour, City shopping, The Rocks, Circular Quay, and transport) then this is a great option. Staff were efficient and helpful.
It is super close to the freeway but the rooms are whisper quiet, no need for concern re noise.
As a Sydneysider, this is the perfect hotel for when I need a bed for the night and am not interested in the romance of the big/beautiful hotels.
Would stay again for that price.
Great work Ibis.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
IBISKINGSTREETWHARF, General Manager at Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf, responded to this review, February 13, 2010
Dear 'ShellsO'

Thank you for your review on Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf, and for giving us 5/5 for Service, Location, Cleanliness and Value all of which we pride ourselves upon.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back soon

Perth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2010

Stayed for a week in Jan. Clean, comfortable and quiet - the double glazing meant that the freeway outside my window was no problem. The location is fantastic and the staff were very helpful and courteous, particularly the young lady who seemed to be working just about all hours of the day and night. The only (slight) criticism is that the room was on the small side - great for one person but would have been a little cramped for 2, and I did find the shower a little cramped.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
IBISKINGSTREETWHARF, General Manager at Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf, responded to this review, February 6, 2010
Dear 'MRDAV64'

Thank you for taking the time to review Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf'

The double glazing does work very well within the rooms, and I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay.

Regards

Auckland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2010

I've booked to stay at IBIS King Street Wharf for 9 nights after reading all the great reviews in here. The staffs are all extra friendly and we've had very good feeling about the service the minute we first walked in and were greeted warmly. We arrived at around 12-ish and were managed to checked into our room right away as the staff told us that it was cleaned and ready for us. I was impressed in their flexibility on that as many other hotels I've stayed at always made us wait till the check-in time. We had a standard room and I've read the review before making the booking so we were prepared for the size of our room. However when we walked into our room, we were so happy with the cleanliness that we have forgotten about the size of the room. It sort of made up for it as our first priority in hotels is cleanliness plus no rust can be found in the bathroom. The room is very modern and clean so we didn't mind about the small size at all. It's really not as small as what I've expected. Besides, we spent most of our time traveling outdoor anyway. We just need a very clean room to go home to at the end of the day to sleep and rest. The air-condition was having a malfunction one night and we couldn't sleep at all as it was very hot in Sydney at the time and staying at 7th Floor made it worst coz the heat raised from bottom to top. We went to the front desk to complain about it at 2am after trying very hard to sleep but failed and I was having headache at that time. A staff named Vanessa was wonderful as she tried her very best to look for a room with cooler temperature for us and in the end, we were moved to a superior room at 1st Floor for the rest of our trip (2 nights left). We were very very impressed with IBIS King Street Wharf by that time for being treated fairly and with great ethic. Were given a complimentary 'continental breakfast' which was so-so but it's free so there's nothing to complain about. I won't pay for a breakfast here however as they are with very few selection and does not look appealing. I've been to many hotels and tried many buffet breakfasts so I know the difference when I see one. However, that is a very minor problem as I'm sure the Hotel will do something to improve that as they are still a very new Hotel. Anyway, I will not hesitate for even a second that I will stay in this hotel again the next time I travel to Sydney. Thank you all staff at IBIS King Street Wharf for the great hospitality an we shall see you again.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear 'traveluvee'

Thank you very much for your comments regarding your recent stay at Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf.

We pride ourselves upon our service and cleanliness and combined with a great room in a great location we hope to exceed every guests expectations time and time again

Benjamin Krieg

Been to Ibis Sydney King Street Wharf? Share your experiences!