“Rundown, mouldy, cold & noisy” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Oaks on Castlereagh

You added Oaks on Castlereagh to your Saves list
Oaks on Castlereagh
4.0 of 5 Condominium   |   317 Castlereagh Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Ranked #42 of 133 Specialty Lodging in Sydney
Kingscliff, Australia
“Rundown, mouldy, cold & noisy”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights during a weekend getaway and for a hotel that ranges from 4 stars (wotif) to 3 stars (hotels website) it was abysmal. Firstly, it was approx 7 degrees overnight and there was no blanket at all. The entrance way to the room was dingy, paint was worn off the walls and there was so much grout missing from the entrance times that it would catch your feet. The shower had mould build up everywhere and when the window was opened you had an awesome view of the trains that kept you awake all night. While the bed was king sized it took out the prize of the most exquisitely uncomfortable bed in the world. My neck has been stiff and sore ever since. Don't waste your money staying here.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

You get what is expected with the cheap cost for these apartments. Some of the pros are that is in a good location, good walking distance to go out at night. Although it is right across from the train line and all you can hear 24 hours a day is trains horns. So if your a light sleep, maybe have a think about that. The pool was good, got crowded some nights. No one was there to greet us when we arrived and lucky a person was coming out of the apartments or we would of been stuck outside for a good time. The corridors also smelt a lot like chinese food which got stronger towards the evening. The rooms were lovely and spacious, we just felt comfortable in the room. An average stay, could of been better but had a fantastic time in sydney

Room Tip: rooms not facing the railway will be slighty more quieter
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Wodonga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

I was a little concerned after reading some of the reviews on this property after we had booked it, as they seemed to be quite negative. However, we had no trouble with our stay. The room was clean, tidy, and included everything it said it would. The location was great, very close to everything. The bed was comfortable and we had a fantastic view from our window. Our only criticisms? The shower goes from hot to cold repeatedly, the hallway smells a little strange, there is no room service and if you are a light sleeper the sound of the trains may bother you, but the windows block most of it out. However, for what we paid and what we expected we were pleasantly surprised. Based on what we have read other travellers have experienced, we don't think we would risk it a second time though.

Room Tip: Corner rooms appear to be quieter.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Canberra
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

I did not read reviews of this property before staying there - I wish I had, although my experience was nowhere near as bad as some I have since read.
The location is great but there are several better options within a minute or two of walking.
The room size was fine, but maintenance leaves a bit to be desired.
I had to troubleshoot the fridge which had come unplugged because it drifts around when it is open and shut.
The air conditioner was unusable becdause it was like having a diesel generator in the room.
The sliding door was not much of an option because my room overlooked the rail lines near Central Station.
Quite apart from the squeal of trains on tracks, the blowing of train horns was very loud, very common but irregular (so you could not treat it as 'white noise') and I found it really annoying and disturbing to my sleep (don't attempt an early night or a sleep-in). Perhaps other rooms are quieter than mine - at times I felt like I was in Elwood Blues' apartment next to the El in Chicago.
I made a very poor choice for a business trip - it is not well set up for doing any work (there was a broadband connection but its location means that you have to be in bed to do any on-line activity).
This was a cautionary tale for me - read reviews before booking.
I will not be back to this property.

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Coolangatta, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

Where do I begin? We booked a 3 bedroom appartment for 7 people. Our room was outdated filthy and unsafe. Our kitchen had a horrible stench and the carpet was filthy like it had not even been vaccumed so we called reception to get someone to come disinfect the bin and bring some more towels as we were only given 5 towels (even though 7 of us paid and were booked). Over an hour and a half later a staff member came and quickly 'cleaned' the bin but did not bring the towels. The following morning we had a health issue with one of our party, we called reception at 6am to see if we could get the towels we had requested the day before but still had not recieved. Whoever answered the phone in reception refused to let us have any more towels because we already had enough, to which my friend disputed. We vaccumed the carpet ourselves as no one had come to do it yet. That evening we arrived home to discover we had towels delivered to our room (8hrs later)
On our last morning at the Regis we had run out of toilet paper, I called reception at around 7am and asked if I came down could we please get some more. I was informed by the receptionist that we would have to purchase our own toilet paper as this was not their problem. This was extrememly frustrating because we did not even have tissues in the apartment and we had completely run out of toilet paper. I asked the receptionist where to get some toilet paper and she replied 'you will find a shop just go look'
We paid $200 each for 3 nights at the Regis- which means we paid a total of $1400 for the room, pretty pitiful that we were not provided with a simple thing such as toilet paper (considering it was 7 females in the room)
I would never stay here again, it was one thing after another at these apartments. I got a chance to go check another apartment on level 22 and it was much nicer than ours. I actually can't be bothered writing about the other things that went wrong there was just so many things that made me dislike this place.
To each there own, the only good thing about these apartments is the location. Theres also a train station across the street which is very noisy. If your looking for a central location then these apartments are located well but other than that I have nothing positive to say about the Regis.

Room Tip: Avoid the top floor as the lifts take FOREVER. AC was extremely noisy in our room.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Granada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

We werent sure what to expect as we'd never stayed in 'serviced apartments' before. The room was excellent, quite large, with a tiny kitchen in a cupboard. We only wanted to have breakfast in the room so it was fine for us. Bed was comfortable, bathroom excellent, swimming pool a great bonus and the price was good. It was central for exploring Sydney and we thought it was good value.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

Thought I was not going to like it, judging from other people´s reviews, but the hotel surprised me. The apartments are enormous and have all facilities plus the fact that the hotel has an excellent swimming pool and gym. However, I think that the apartments could be more well kept as ours had a strange odour. Also, they are not cleaned every day. Service is not that good either. The location is central, but with a view of the railway station. Not ideal but in terms of value for money, it is good.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to Oaks on Castlereagh? Share your experiences!