“Some great, some not so great” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Asian, Japanese
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Sydney, Australia
“Some great, some not so great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I went to Wagaya (haymarket) recently with my boyfriend for a date night, the wait was a bit long but thats always expected when you don't book ahead. Its so much fun ordering by using the touch screen menus.

Most dishes were delicious, especially the grilled salmon sushi but when it came to desert (green tea ice cream) I found little piece of a styrofoam in it but ignored it thinking it was just one piece and the great meal before that made up for it but as I kept eating it i found more pieces. I finally told the waiter who apologised and said it was weird cause they looked after their ice cream and took the desert off the bill along with a 10% discount.

I do recommend Wagaya, but be careful when you eat the green tea ice cream :)

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Great as usuall”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

This place is awesome. Great japanese food at a great price... We had 18 of us eating there in a private room and the staff were fantastic... Def recommend this place.

Visited June 2013
“Hot dishes served warm”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Had the grilled ox tongue, crab chawanmushi and agedashi tofu. The ox tongue was chewy and delicious but was served warm rather than hot. Same for the other two dishes. The crab was instant/stick type rather than fresh, but the agedashi tofu was the real disappointment. The tofu was starchy and had stringy things inside, making it feel very artificial. I left it unfinished.

Visited April 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Newtown venue even better!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I've dined at Wagaya in tourist central (Haymarket) a couple of times before, and enjoyed it. The highlights were the touch screen menu and sushi roulette. So when they opened up a stones throw from where I live (just off King St, Newtown), I was keen to go back. And I did finally tonight, and wasn't disappointed. The ipad way of ordering is not only a novelty but is very efficient! And the menu is varied and good, and the food delivers. Nice ambience inside as well. Will definitley be back!!

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“Good food, fast service, fun ordering system”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stumbled upon Wagaya on a recent business trip to Haymarket. Luckily, we'd made a reservation an hour before otherwise we would have had to wait for a table on a Wednesday night. As others have said, the food is fresh and tasty and from our booth we were able to watch Teppanyaki being prepared. Orders are made by choosing items from a touchscreen on the wall at the end of the booth. We definitely ate more than usual because I couldn't resist pushing buttons! Wagaya caters to all tastes and budgets as many of the dishes are reasonably priced. Check out the menu on their website by clicking on the images and enlarging to see prices. Our bill for two adults (about 5 or 6 dishes), which included a small bottle of sake each, was $60. I highly recommend a visit.

• Visited March 2013