“Great value” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Great Southern Hotel

You added The Great Southern Hotel to your Saves list
The Great Southern Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   717 George St, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia (Formerly Pacific International Hotel Sydney)   |
Ranked #93 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
Perth, Australia
“Great value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2007

If you're under the impression that all accommodation in Sydney is really expensive for what you get, think again. I thought this place was great value for the very reasonable price I'd paid.

This hotel began its current life in a 1930s heritage building (which replaced an earlier hotel), but the rooms are in a much more modern six storey (or so) building hidden behind the original facade. The location, just one block from Central train station, is very convenient (and trains from the airport are much cheaper and less stressful than taxis).

Reception service on arrival was friendly and efficient. My room was comfortable, clean, quiet, unobtrusively decorated, and equipped with everything I could reasonably expect for the price. Sure, it wasn't large, but I'm very tall, and I didn't feel the room was too small for my liking.

I didn't try the breakfasts on offer downstairs, but I did have a counter dinner on one night of my recent stay. It was amazingly good value - $7 for a very tasty steak chips and salad, and a total price of less than $10 if you include the beer that went with it.

I'll definitely be staying here again.

• Liked — Value for money
  • Disliked — nothing really
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Korean first
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2007

I stayed here in June as part of a tour group. We spent five nights at this hotel and were very pleased. We were a group of 50+ people, teenagers included, and everything we had to deal with was pleasant. The front desk people couldn't have been more accomodating. The breakfast was hot, fresh, and plentiful. The only negative I have was the internet cost. Being from the States, I found .55 per minute a bit extreme, but of course I paid it!!! My roommate and I had a room with two twins, frig and desk. We had plenty of room. Others in our group had rooms that were a bit smaller (ok...a lot smaller) but everyone said their beds were comfortable and the rooms were clean. The pub downstairs offered a bit of nightlife for our group as well. The biggest plus of all was Paddy's Market steps away. If you need/want souvenirs, this is the place to go. You can also pick up a jacket or scarf if you find your wardrobe is lacking for the Australian winter. I read some reviews about the sex shops and all before we stayed here, but I have to say I felt very safe. I walked around the area with no fear for my safety. It is also convenient for mass transit with the train station across the street. All in all, I would recommend this hotel for fellow travelers.

• Liked — Convenient to Paddy's Market.
  • Disliked — Cost of internet.
  • Stayed June 2007
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2007

In spite of the adverse comments on the website, I decided to give it a try after discovering the winter promotion on the hotel website for just AUD89-99 per night. My room faces the Thomas Street and could be a bit noisy (but better than those facing George Street or those without views). The hotel room is tiny and the facilities are barely adequate but its location is superb, opposite to the Market City where one will find numerous shops/stalls and food places. It is also 10-15 minutes walk to the Darling Harbour and the Town Hall area where all the excitments and attractions are. If one does not need to spend much time at the hotel, this hotel is surely a value for money choice.

• Liked — Location and price
  • Disliked — Room size and hotel faciltiies
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2007

Booked the room for a good price on their website and THEN read the reviews on tripadviser. Wrong way around, so was a bit worried about what I would find when I arrived at the hotel. The hotel's location is great- near Central Station, a block from Paddy's Market, just near Chinatown, easy walk to Convention Centre and a stroll into Pitt Street Mall/ QVB. The hotel staff were great but I know it's the room you want to hear about. It was small, a bit dull and tired and I had to ring Reception to work out how to turn the lights out to sleep (pull the Card out of the wall). However, the room was fine. We were only there for an overnight stay and it was a great sleep in a comfy bed with good pillows. It was basically a suitable, basic room and a good shower. Nothing flash what so ever but it did its job for a good price. Would I stay there again? Probably, unless I wanted a nicer, bigger, more modern room with a few indulgences.

• Liked — The bed and hotel's location
  • Disliked — Size of the room
  • Stayed May 2007
Canberra
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2006

We stayed at this hotel overnight, while attending a function at Darling Harbour last week.

From the outside, the hotel looks old and decrepit, however it has been renovated inside, and the reception area is very elegant and classy. I found the staff to be extremely pleasant and helpful, and the hotel as a whole to be alot more personal than other places I have stayed at.

The room we were allocated was absolutely tiny! Do not expect a luxurious room while staying at this place! Extremely cramped with no amenities, just a bed, TV, and bathroom all crammed into a tiny space. No view whatsoever, hardly any natural sunlight as all. However, we were only using the room as a sleeping point, so it didn't affect us too much. Keep in mind our room was only a standard one, so those willing to pay a bit extra would probably be allocated a better room!!

This hotel is good for travellers wishing to stay for a limited period (ie:overnight) and are just after basic accomodation, and a clean bed. As I mentioned earlier, the interior of the hotel is very elegant and classy, and the staff were extremely accomodating, it's really only the rooms which let it down! I would not recommend it for families, or people staying in Sydney for more than a night or two.

• Liked — service
  • Disliked — rooms
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2006

I booked this hotel as a secret hotel on last minute.com. the description said it was 4 star - it was more like a backpackers. The room they gave me stank, it was dark, and so old and dated it felt dirty. I went shopping and was so upset with the booking that I immediately booked myself into the Sofitel Wentworth..not much more than I paid at the Pacific but soooo much better. Stay here if you are happy with dirty backpaker accomodation.

• Stayed June 2006
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2006

We were really disappointed by this hotel. although it's located on George Street - it's way down at the bottom of the street, so a good 30 minute walk to the Docks. The hotel staff were unfriendly and the room was very average. Our air-conditioning unit was not working and we couldn't open the windows. The hotel charged you to use the gymj, which I found was a cheek. Generally, we were not at all impressed and would not stay there again.

• Stayed April 2006

Been to The Great Southern Hotel? Share your experiences!