“Very small and hot rooms, overpriced” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Great Southern Hotel

You added The Great Southern Hotel to your Saves list
The Great Southern Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   717 George St, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia (Formerly Pacific International Hotel Sydney)   |
Ranked #91 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
Melbourne, Australia
“Very small and hot rooms, overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Spent 3 nights here over New Years. Service good. Rooms clean but very small and stuffy and cannot open windows. Considering this cost $1200 for 3 nights, I would have expected much better!! Location OK, pretty central, but on the dodgy part of George Street

Stayed December 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Korean first
alpharetta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

You have to reserve parking at the hotel. Otherwise you can park for 24 dollars for 23-24 hours at the Citygate parking garage4-5 blocks away. Parking in sydney is exorbitant. don't take your car just leave it in the carpark and take the bus. you can buy one way tickets from news agency shops or take a cab. It will save you money. This was a queen bed consisting of 2 singles put together, had AC which is important in December in Ozzie summer. Clean, no bugs, TV, small but nice bathtub, no view unless you want everyone looking in at you but for 100 bucks a night, not bad for Sydney. You are in Chinatown on George street and you can take a bus up to the CBD with all the swanky shopping. Still it was safe walking out at night to chinatown market and there are a lot of pho shops selling Vietnamese noodle soup at reasonable prices which are tasty and filling. And I had a voucher for a free breakfast in AM. You have to check out by 10 AM, only down side.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We loved our heritage room, the simple Art Deco furniture from 1903 was functionally elegant; space was a little cramped for two, but perfectly adequate. The only complaint was that for some obscure reason the carpet outside the bathroom became wet from underneath, but it soon dried again. We had to ask for a plug for the bathroom sink as these are not automatically provided! We only tried the restaurant once, when we wanted an early start - the breakfast roll was fine, the rest of the time we ate at Market City just around the corner. We made use of the free bus (No 555 I think) to get us down to Circular Quay, it stopped just across the road. We would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

This hotel is in my top ten worst of all time. Seriously I don't know how anyone can accept the standard of this hotel. Looking past the stained carpet, brown finger marks on the toilet door and even the shower head that was broken, I had a much worse experience. As i entered the shower I was covered by some form of mites, nesting in the shower ceiling. As a exited I noticed that the shower had many of them ready to attack. I exited the room and made my way to reception. It was about midnight and I spoke with the night manager, when I explained to him the issue, he said,"Its not a problem I'm too busy to come up just take another room and bring the key card back". Too busy its midnight, I'm sorry I ruined his night, I'll be shore to think of him next time I buy some bug spray.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I stayed at The Great Southern Hotel as a solo traveller from November 27 to 30 to attend the 2012 ARIA Awards. As requested, my queen room was spacious (contrary to other reviews) and overlooked George St (which was a lot better than having to stare out to concrete walls).

The hotel itself is in a great location -- literally a two minute walk from Central Station, the main station in the CBD. This was fantastic in that, being my first time in Sydney, having easy access to the main transport hub meant that getting around the city was easy. It also meant that I could get to the hotel straight from the domestic airport without having to worry about hopping on a taxi.

The hotel is also close to other forms of transport (such as the monorail, the light rail service and busses), as well as restaurants and shops -- Paddy's Market and Market City (a direct factory outlet) are also just a block away. It's also a five-minute walk to the Sydney Entertainment Centre, where the ARIAs were held. In terms of other attractions, it's a fifteen minute walk from the beautiful Darling Harbour, a ten minute walk to the Power House Museum (which I really enjoyed!), and as I said, a train ride away from main stations like Circular Key and Bondi Junction.

The hotel also boasts a great pub on the ground floor. The food was tasty, and the drinks were at great prices. The staff at the hotel were also fantastic. I arrived in Sydney at 10am and they held my luggage for the day until I checked-in later in the afternoon.

The only issue (and a minor one at that) I had was the broken shower tap in my ensuite, which kept leaking water during my stay. Overall, however, I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to friends and family, and will definitely be back the next time I visit Sydney!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

our 2nd time here, room is small but has every thing u need and is very clean , staff were lovely and helpful at reception and in bar, the bar food was great value and really nice, breakfast was ok , will be staying there again on our return :)

Room Tip: no views from your room, but in great location 5 min walk from central station , food and drink are...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Auckland NZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

This is an older hotel but price wise it was perfect.
The rooms were exceptionally clean, the staff very friendly and helpful when we needed to ask directions, and the location only 2 minutes from Central Station, which is just great if you are flying into Sydney and catching the train from the airport. There is also an airport shuttle service which drops off and picks up directly across the road.
Buses along George St or a short walk take you directly to the main shopping area.
Being on the main St we did hear police sirens one night - but generally the rooms were very quiet (no hallway noise) and the beds very comfortable.
I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Great Southern Hotel? Share your experiences!