“Best Italien in Town!?” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pendolino

Pendolino
Shop 100-1-2, Level 2, 412-414 George St, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia (City Centre)
02 9231 6117
Neighborhood: City Centre
Lucerne, Switzerland
“Best Italien in Town!?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

As usual I checked tripadvisor for some recommendation. Why not go for the best? Pendolino is voted a Travellers Choice 2012. Congratulations.
As I am from Switzerland, we travel a lot to Italy and Italian cuisine has influenced our eating.
Our dinner at Pendolino was very good. We could see the guys working in the kitchen. They did a great job.
Two points have been surprising.
He "Buonasera" Me "Ho fatto una prenotazione per una tavola" He "sorry I don't speek any Italien" too bad...
As a recommendation I had a glass of red wine or should I better say grape juice. Very light taste and colour. Sorry, such a win should not be recommended by the menu and the waiter with informing the client about it’s characteristics. Thanks to the manager I got a replacement free of charge. Well done!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

mudgee
“great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

normally in Sydney we eat at La Rosa at the other end of the strand but as it was closed we dined at Pendolino. The food was excellent and the service attentive but subtle. highly recommended.

Visited July 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Great food, not so great lighting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I have lunch quite a few times and the food and service is always amazing -however, and especailly for business lunchs does the lighting have to be so damn non existant ?

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Carlton
“excellent dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We ate here on Monday 8th July. I had read the reviews and was looking forward to it very much.
It is on the 2nd Floor of the historic Strand Arcade, you take the old lift near the entrance of the arcade. The dining room is beautifully decorated and very atmospheric, possibly a little dark, but inviting.
The staff are attentive but not overbearing, and pleasant to deal with. The food was excellent, the wine list good and dessert delicious!!
We had a lovely evening and would definitely go back, I would recommend booking ahead.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hong Kong, China
“Food not that good when all is said and done”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

This place was recommended by the hotel concierge as the best Italian restaurant in Sydney. I have eaten a lot of great Italian food in Italy so my standards are high. The clubby atmosphere and high prices on the menu promised it would be good. A gourmand menu with wines for just under two hundred dollars signified ambition. But when I asked the waiter what the signature dish(es) of the restaurant were, he looked at me vacantly and asked me what I liked before recommending half the menu. I pushed this saying I would eat anything he recommended but I had to force recommendations from him. In the end a seafood spaghetti with barramundi and prawns was just not good - overseasoned and with the fish cooked to a ragout consistency. This was followed by a lamb dish which was heavy and quite ordinary. The dessert was the highlight, a superb meringue dish. Wines (by the glass) were again pedestrian, served in miserly measures and nearly fifty dollars for three small glasses, one with each course. Meal for one (there was no problem with being a solo diner here), was a hundred and fifty bucks for three courses and three glasses of wine. Despite the exquisite breads and olive oils (which acted as a false promise of quality to come), the kitchen did not deliver.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere