“Wow, a sleeper. What a find. Large but intimate.” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations
Sydney
“Wow, a sleeper. What a find. Large but intimate.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

This was a fabulous experience - one I intend to repeat. Thank you. The service was wonderful, the waiter knowledgeable, the food fresh, clean and superb. Every course was terrific but please don't miss the petite fours.. Seriously, no matter how full you are, order them - it's so worth it.

Thanks again, I will be back.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Sydney, Australia
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Arras is a real find, and one definitely to be revisited. The food was outstanding, plated like a work of art with flavours to match. The complimentary amuse bouche and dessert taster were as beautifully presented as the main event. Staff were friendly and personable without being intrusive. And the petit fours? It's worth going here for those alone. Tiny tastes of all the favourites, so many to mention. There were jelly snakes and passionfruit jellies, nougat, fudge, tiny 'jammy dodgers', coconut ice, tiny blocks of chocolate with citrus, baby sized sweet Yorkshire puddings with rhubarb, shards of sugar lolly pops with sherbet, chocolate coated delights ... I know I've left things out but you get the idea. The delicate miniature treats that tempt so successfully were a wonderful finish. A superb meal.

Visited February 2014
Port Macquarie, Australia
“Outstanding!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I had a weekend in Sydney and we always try to fit in a meal at one of the really good restaurants. We have been to most of the "big names" and had some fine meals. I had not heard of Arras but a friend mentioned it but the reviews were good and it was very close to where we were staying. We were not disappointed!

The staff were welcoming and attentive but pleasantly informal. The decor was cheerful and the tables were well-spaced.

We opted for the 5 course degustation menu with matched wines - we did not think that we would have room for the 9 course menu! We were welcomed with a glass of intense gazpacho, followed by an amuse bouche of a deconstructed Caesar salad which was delicious. After that came an amazing mushroom dish and a delicious kedgeree with smoked eel and quinoa. The blue eyed trevalley with scallops was gorgeous. This was followed by the chef's version of boeuf bourgignon, again deconstructed and using veal and sweetbreads. By this time we were getting full so declined the optional cheese course - this was a difficult decision as the cheese board looked (and smelt!) great. We went on to a citrus and apricot concoction with a strawberry sorbet. This was followed by an absolutely brilliant dessert based on Pimms - truly one of my favourite ever desserts! We finished off with some (too many!) of the huge plate of petit fours. The matching wines were well chosen from around the globe: Tasmania, France and Japan all featured!

Although not a cheap meal, the outstanding quality of the food together with the lovely staff made this our best ever meal in Sydney and is right up there with our best ever meals worldwide. A huge thank you to Arras! We will be back!

Visited February 2014
London, United Kingdom
“what a wonderful night.....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

I got to Arras by going through the good food guide to try and find a restaurant that had great food but wasn't pretentious sounding. The word 'fun' appeared a couple of times in the Arras review and it was! Although rather quite on the evening we went (personally I like it like that) it was more than made up for by the friendliness and knowledge (yes, I know, quite unusual) of the staff. Everything boded well and we waited in anticipation for our food.....

The boys had deconstructed cheese and ham sandwich (I know, I know!) but it was DELICIOUS and my boned quail delight was the best starter I've eaten in Sydney for many a long day. We all had the Arras take on a lamb kebab.....suble, fragrant, fabulous....DON'T be deceived by the plain rather charmingly self-depreciating description of the dishes. Adam, the chef, really knows how to wield a knife, sous-vide a dish and make a magical concoction to assault your taste buds.

Amazing desserts came next with little ice creams, jelly squares, delicious crumbs, marvellous crunchy things etc etc.

Finally, to the petit fours.....I have NEVER in my life seen such a huge plate full of such enticing little bits and pieces.......seriously NEVER. Go to see this, if for no other reason.

No, go anyway.....it is fun, the food is fabulous and it is (something I rarely if ever say) a gastronomic delight.

I don't really agree with the writer who said it was very expensive....our three course meal with three bottles of lovely Viognier and a wonderful bottle of dessert wine came to just over A$500(admittedly not cheap but not outrageous for this standard of food)

Please go....you will not be disappointed. In fact I think you will find, as I did, that it is pretty unique and entirely fabulous. I want to go again and again and again.....shame I live in the UK.
Maybe I'll have to take Adam back there with me!!

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sydney, Australia
“best in sydney, great value & should be 3 hats”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

Agree with all the positive reviews on here. Great value first of all $ 60 for 2 courses, 3 for $ 80. Fantastic global cheese cart with many to choose from. Petit fours are not that at all - it is a whole candy shop and a fine chocolate shop type of thing with over 20 types to try brought to you on a big tray and left there. They almost push you into having as many as you can. Fine service, double linen, plush decor and clean luxe feel. Calm and sophisticated. several types of home made bread that is a meal on its own. Appetisers, canapés and pre desert with proper tea and coffee all included in the price. Well in Sydney that is sooo amazing, being one of the most expensive dinning destinations in the world. Well done Arras!!!!

• Visited December 2013