“Wonderfully French” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bistro Papillon

Bistro Papillon
98 Clarence Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia (Wynyard)
+61 2 9262 2402
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Wynyard
“Wonderfully French”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

My guest and I popped into this little bistro on the recommendation of a co-worker. We were early (6pm) and had no trouble getting a table without a reservation. However by the time we left at 8pm, a reservation would definitely have been necessary.

Service was quick, helpful, friendly, but not pushy or over-bearing. All staff we encountered were actually French! They were helpful with providing recommendations on menu items that were more traditionally French, and helped describe items I had never before encountered.

We started by sharing the Smoked Trout Rillettes - it was delicious! Enough for two is you're famished and want to save room for the main and dessert.

Our mains were equally delicious. I enjoyed the Poulet Marengo (chicken) with a side of Ratatouille. The chicken fell off the bone and was full of flavour. The Ratatouille was very good, but too much for my moderate appetite. My guest enjoyed the Confit de Canard (duck) and said it was also full of flavour. It was also so tender that it fell off the bone the moment she touched her fork and knife to it.

Dessert (not that we had room, but who can resist?) was Creme Brule. I'm a lover of creme brule, and this was one of the best I have experienced. The sugar crust was thin and hard, and gave a beautiful crack when I dove into it. The custard underneath was smooth, creamy, and not too sweet.

I would recommend this quaint little restaurant to locals and visitors alike. If you fancy a late dinner, make a reservation.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Adelaide, Australia
“Delicious fare, excellent service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

We'd forgotten how delicious well-prepared French cuisine can be. Combine with excellent service and quiet but cheerful atmosphere = great dining experience. Highly recommended!

• Visited April 2014
“Fantastic Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

We dined here recently as a couple.
Great food, great service, great ambience.
Can't recommend highly enough.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“A little bit of France in Sydney”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

This small bistro offers great and fresh food served in a Parisien bistro style. The Alsace tarte flambee was terrific and it's hard to go past the expertly prepared tartare. The main courses are a good portion, but not so much as to mean that you have to miss the fabulous desserts or the cheese

Visited September 2013
Sydney, Australia
“A part of France in the heart of Sydney”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

Assiette de charcuterie, steak tartare, coq au vin, couscous, cassoulet, soupe à l'oignon, some of my experiences at Bistro Papillon, I was never disappointed, and service is very good

• Visited November 2013