“Well I don't think we got hepatitis or bed bugs.....” 1 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Holiday Lodge Hotel to your Saves list
Holiday Lodge Hotel
Holiday Lodge Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   55 Macleay Street | Potts Point, Sydney, New South Wales 2011, Australia   |
Ranked #170 of 182 hotels in Sydney
Portland, Oregon
“Well I don't think we got hepatitis or bed bugs.....”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Traveled with adult family. We booked for our last night so we could get back to the airport. The photos online are highly staged or extremely old, as the room that we stayed in was a much dirtier version.

You have to ring the bell to get inside the building (or call a number if no one answers apparently). The young lady that checked us in was nice, but I got the feeling that maybe English was her second language? We saw her when we checked in, and later walking down the hall, but that was it.

You can pay $30 a day to park behind the hotel, as there isn't free parking.

I've stayed at some pretty dive places, but I think this one wins. Carpets are pretty gross, and I kept my shoes on. The couch/pull out bed was tired/stained and didn't look like the sheets had been changed (there was a plastic wrapper and other stuff folded inside). Old school TV with broken rabbit ears. Bathroom also made me break out the lysol spray. There was a queen/twin bunk bed and seemed a little rusty, and looking up at the mattress made me want to turn off the room light. Even found a nice toenail on the top sheet..... There was also another twin on a rusty metal bed.

Also seems like a fire hazard. We were down stairs. The one window was barred, although one might be able to kick it out if there was a fire, as the window frame seemed to be falling apart.

The next morning we were up early and finished packing as we heard a loud BOOM down the hall. Figured the place was on fire when we opened the door and saw smoke. Turned out that the main electrical wires coming into the building had blown up, and blasted the door off and threw it across the lobby. Also took out most of the power in the building.

I don't think there was any staff on hand, as on one showed up to see what the smoke and noise was from. A couple guys sat outside in PJ's and waited for someone to show up. We just grabbed our stuff and left the keys in the room......

Room Tip: Stay on the bottom floor, so you can get out if there is a fire......
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

47 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Our family arrived in Sydney at 9am with heavy suitcases. We rang the hotel to see if they could store our cases until the room was available. The manager instead instead offered us the room immediately, as it had not been rented the night before, at no additional charge.
The manager also helped us find secure parking at a reduced rate after we checked out. We felt she was more helpful and provided better service than we have received at 5star hotels.
The facilities are basic but clean, as you would expect from a budget hotel.
The location was great, an easy walk from cafe/restaurants. We walked into Circular Quay and found the distance easy (but keep to the main streets as some areas in Kings Cross are dodgy).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

i have stayed in a number of budget hotels, hostels and self catered apartments in the potts point/Sydney area area and holiday lodge hotel has been the absolute worst. i was disgusted with the service, the staff were so rude, condescending and at times combative. the rooms were horrible, with stained carpets, broken beds, dingy lighting, and just simply awful!!! we spilt a tiny bit of water on the carpet (which are so stained already), and they took $30 out of our bond, even in most upmarket hotels they wouldn't do that. to sum it up this is the worst place i have ever stayed, i was horrified with the people who worked there... there behavior toward each other and us as customers was atrocious... DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I have never been in such a disgusting place in my life and im a mental health Nurse.Dirty,smelly and terrible customer service. I arrive with my Husband and Sister for a two night stay having paid by credit card for the first night.On arrival we were led upstairs to the top floor on opening the door the member of staff said 'Oh No i have made a mistake with the rooms wait here' We then heard Him go down and knock on the door of a room below telling the guest he needed to move room 10 minutes later we were let into the room whilst the member of staff helped the guest upstairs with his suitcase.It was obvious the guest had had a shower and slept in the bed but the member of staff denied this and said I will provide clean towels to put your mind at rest then you can come down stairs and settle your bill? . We left and walked up the road checking into a lovely hotel for only $20 a night more. THIS PLACE SHOULD BE CLOSED DOWN ITS A HEALTH HAZARD

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Newcastle, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Like other people who have posted a review I agree, this place is horrible. We too knew we were paying for budget accomodation and by no means did we expect 'hotel' quality but we DID expect some form of quality. It was DISGUSTING - firstly there were meant to be four people to a room and they only gave us two towels, the bathroom was full of mould - hence we didnt have a shower as it was cleaner not to, the TV was the size of my hand and some of the skirting boards looked like they were made out of or had been put back together with paper mashay. This place honestly seemed like the type of place you would rent by the hour. We decided to pull an all nighter in the cross as we could not bring ourselves to sleep there. WILL NEVER RETURN TO THIS PLACE.

Room Tip: Dont stay in any of these rooms
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

The Holiday Lodge Hotel is THE WORST accommodation experience I have ever had. When we booked the hotel, we understood it was budget accommodation. However, we expected basic requirements such as cleanliness to be met. The venue is disgusting - the carpets are stained, the bathroom walls and soap holder are covered in mould, parts of the carpet are lifted (extremely hazardous), the beds are creaky and covered in rust, the lounges have stains all over them, the television did not work, the bedroom light flickered, there was no quilt provided for the beds (despite overnight temperatures of less than 10degrees) and many more issues. Despite all of these inadequacies, the customer service provided by this establishment is by its most disgusting facet. When the initial booking was made, management advised that a bond must be left. It was agreed that if a credit card/debit card was provided, this would be a sufficient. At 930pm, the Manager Sally approached the room and informed me that a credit/debit card was no longer sufficient and I was to provide $300 to them immediately for the bond. Sally openly admitted they had tried to withdraw the $300 from my account and it had failed. It was then that I firstly realised I had accidentally provided my expired card, and secondly, that they had attempted to withdraw money from my account without my knowledge. Due to this mistrust I decided to leave a cash deposit on the condition that the cash was refunded immediately once I checked out. Sally informed me they will have to check the rooms before our bond is reimbursed and this could take 'hours'. I said I was impediment on staying until the room was checked and the bond reimbursed. Sally the 'MANAGER' informed me, that she will not be available until 1030am to reimburse the bond as it is 'too early' for her!!!!! Sally then accused myself and my friends of having marijuana in the rooms, claiming she could smell it. This was completely false with no supporting evidence and I offered for the police to be called immediately to search for the illegal substance. Unsurprisingly, Sally did not pursue the matter any further. However, we could hear her continue to openly accuse my friends and I in the hallway throughout the night and next morning. I was suspicious of malpractice, and adamant to keep the rooms in perfect condition to ensure there was no reason for the bond not to be reimbursed. On checkout, the rooms were in the same state as arrival - the only difference a small (3cmx3cm) patch of water on the carpet from wringing wet hair and dirty towels all gathered together in a neat pile. A 'be back in 15' sign was on the reception counter, so I waited 20minutes. I then rang the bell on multiple occasions to no avail. Fifty minutes later, Sally came downstairs and informed me that I would not be receiving my bond back because the towels used are now dirty and there's also a wet patch on the carpet. I said this was outrageous, they cannot hold $300 for 'dirty' towels and a water patch. Sally said they needed to assess the damage from the water and to the towels before I could be reimbursed my bond. She estimated the damage to be around $50, so I demanded I receive minimum $250 immediately and appropriately receive the remainder once assessed. After much debate and foul language, Sally finally agreed. When I mentioned the mould, carpet stains etc, Sally the 'MANAGER' sarcastically told me to go ahead and tell the department of health and safety.I would not recommend ANYONE to stay at this venue - the backpacker venues within 500metres of The Holiday Lodge are of a higher standard, so there is still budget accommodation available within the location. In summary, the venue is poor, the customer service is disgusting and I do not trust this establishment at all - so much so, that I have cancelled my Visa Debit card in the fear that further withdrawals are made by the hotel without my knowledge. Please also note that prostitutes were frequently in the hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!! EVER...
FIRSTLY, about the room, We knew we had paid for a pretty basic accomodation, however this room was the size of someone's bathroom. i equate it to a jail cell in Thailand. The appliances provided were a tv from 1968, didnt work, microwave was the very first phillips from1953. there was a desk and small bar fridge, a rancid heater, and bunk beds, with minimal linen on them, uncomfortable pillows, bathroom was rotten, toilet seat was ancient, just DREADFUL

SECONDLY, we paid for three nights in a single room and we checked out 7 hrs later due to the woman's behaviour and abuse. She accused us of having more than one guest in the room and told guests to leave immediately if they wern't staying there, i felt like i was in jail and couldn't have visitors. She started swearing at us, saying we were sneaking people in to the room behind her back, but what sort of hotel doesn't let you bring visitors to the room?????. This was in the middle of the day!!!! she was like a warden from hell
Bottom line is do not stay there unless u wish to be taken full advantage of and scammed and ripped off, My cheap accomodation turned out to have cost me well over what it should have due to misrepresentation on the website of EXTRA GUESTS and cancellation fees.

Room Tip: read bedding configuration and price per person before entering or they ll start charging exta mone...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Holiday Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!