“Wonderfully central position” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BreakFree on George

You added BreakFree on George to your Saves list
BreakFree on George
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   653 George Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay Longer and Save
Ranked #94 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
Preston, United Kingdom
“Wonderfully central position”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

BreakFree on George is well worth using! Our stay was arranged by friends who used a discount voucher, good value. Hotel is on the 'free bus service route' which is excellent and runs from 9am(ish) to 3.30pm+ up/down George Street to the ferries, Opera House, etc (10 min without traffic). Other buses also pass the hotel so no probs later in the day/evening.
Hotel entrance is a bit strange right off the main road, inside there's reception and a restaurant. Can leave bags before checking in/after checking out. 3 lifts operate, rooms have a full kitchen and are quite large, king bed, settee, desk, etc. Hotel has laundry (staff very helpful) - washing machines and dryer.
There are lots of shops/restaurants on George Str; China Town is just across the road from the Hotel 'back' door and through it takes you to Darling Harbour (10/15 mins walk).

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Rina P, Front Office Manager at BreakFree on George, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear FulwoodPR2,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on your recent stay with BreakFree on George. It is a pleasure to know that you find our hotel’s strategic location which is close by to major attractions.

We do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back for another visit in the near future.

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

I agree with the comments of others - this hotel is well placed and provided a good base for 3 nights in Sydney. I would happily use it again!

A free bus runs along George St although it does stop running mid afyernoon.

Access to Chinatown, Darling Harbour and many of the sights was easy.

Vast amoounts of cheap eating places within 200m at a variety of prices - many cheaper that you would expect (but prices in Chinatown are a bit higher). There is a Chinese opposite the theatre (almost over the rd) where people were regularly queueing to get in!

Only concern I have with the hotel was with the windows in the room. I hate windows with restricted openings (in the pursuit of Health and Safety) however for once, I would flag up a potential hazard especially if you have kids with you. The window open fully and open lower tham I would have expected, I then found the carpet quite slippery in bare feet and would suugest that there is a distinct ppossibility that yoiu could fall out! I do not think these would satisfy UK standards and therefore be aware and keep the windows closed if you have kids.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear howard_keith2,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on your recent visit.

It was definitely a pleasure to have you staying with us and I am glad that you had an enjoyable dining experience. We truly appreciate your positive words of encouragement.

Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

1. Best services : the cleaner is only supposed to change ur towels/ bedsheets n clean up d room, no washing of our own dishes. But to my surprise they even helped me to wash my dishes on my 3rd day of stay. I am really grateful as I was in a rush to catch the car show.
I booked open plan suite but thy upgraded me to 2 apartment suite as I want the view for my kids. I love facing the george street on 15th floor.
They are very helpful and very fast in attending to us. Assisting us as much as they could for our directions complete print outs with maps.
2. Best n comfy bed n pillows
3. Free to cook area complete with kitchen utensils
4. Famous ' Mamak' Malaysian restaurant is just behind at gouldin street . Pls ready to queue at 5pm , cz if u r late the queue is really long. The food is super delicious
5. Next to paddy market / market city. Just a walking distance
6. Souvenir shop is cheap in china town just behind the hotel
7. There is Halal Kebab just at george street
8. 10 mins Walking distance to Pitt Street where the Skywalk Sydney Eye
# Perfect place to stay with family

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Rina P, Front Office Manager at BreakFree on George, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear yahyarafidah,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Your kind words are very much appreciated as we continue to drive to be our guest's favourite and being preferred hotel.

We sincerely appreciate your positive feedback about our conveniently equipped room and the ideal location. I will be sure to pass on the positive feedback to all our team members.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to BreakFree on George again soon.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

Had a studio room for one night- good sized & kitchenette area would be great for a longer stay. All clean, well planned & everything one would need (other than free Wifi , which Australian hotels seem to lag well behind the rest of the world on- so not unique to the hotel!)
Good location for Chinatown, theatre, public transportation .
Area for improvement- please double glaze the windows to make it quieter- at 10 floors up could hear even the pedestrian crossing beeps :-)
Friendly & efficient staff on reception & a good website for clear directions.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Dear Jess8888_12,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at BreakFree on George.

It is certainly pleasing to hear you found our room spacious and friendly team that we pride ourselves on.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

Stayed here in February for 10 days. The hotel is clean and the rooms serviced every day including replenishing milk, tea coffee etc.included in the room are microwave, fridge cutlery and crockery for all your needs for cooking for oneself (inc.electric hob).
The shortfall is in drawer space - maybe not high on your wish list - but very im portant; otherwise you have to use the suitcase as a drawer.
The hotel is ideally situated between George St. and Sussex St. with easy access to Darling harbour (10 min walk) and Circular quay (30 min walk) For ferries, boat trips, SH bridge and the Opera house.
And finally if you like Chinese food - you've cracked - there are literally dozens and dozens of restaurants and food outlets there as well as Paddy's market; where there are about 1500 stalls.
if you want to travel within the area inc. Manly and the blue mountains you MUST but a multi-ticket in Feb. it was $63.00 AD. One can travel on the buses,trams,trains and ferries as many times as you like for 7 days.
if you stay in this hotel you will have a great time! enjoy.

Room Tip: Go high as it can get noisy.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear bobbym47,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us.

I’m glad to hear that you had a great experience and enjoyed your 10 nights stay in Sydney.

Our location is one of our best features and in addition spacious self-catering rooms offer the convenience to our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to Sydney.

Canberra, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

We booked three nights at Breakfree at Sydney. As said by most people, location is great. Room is reasonable. However two things not really up to par.

1) We sent an email to a duty manager few days prior to arrival telling her that we would be arriving early around 10 am and see if there would be early check in. She replied that she acknowledged our situation. However, when we arrived at hotel, we spent almost two hours waiting at reception. There was an Asian man who seemed to be the manager at the front desk, appeared to be rather impatient to my frequent questions about the room. I told him that I sent email to breakfree and it was already acknowledged by another duty manager. He kept replying that early check in was not guaranteed, and I should have booked extra night if I requested for early check in, and he kept replying that normal rule is to check in at 2:00 and bla bla bla. He kept repeating hotel policy, forgotten that I have made a request which were already addressed by Hotel. It seemed that it was my fault to request for early check in. He even said that it was useless to keep SHOUTING at the reception...!!! Excuse me, I was not SHOUTING at all. I was just lodging complaints about the room. If you could not arrange a room early, please say so in the email, so that I and my wife and my child wont have to spend time waiting there, we may even arrange a short visit somewhere near Sydney rather than and kept wandering at China town purposelessly!!! Now it is the hotel which could not deliver your service, not my problem of being early!!! This male Asian manager's attitude was rude and arrogant.

I just want to point out, how breakfree sustains your brand equity, depends mostly on the commitment and level of service you deliver. It is so hard to build up your reputation but it is definitely easy to be destroyed by the rudeness of your manager. We do feel and experience your service. This manager was not trying to solve customers' problem, but putting the flame on customers. To me that wasn't a really big problem to solve, however, the manager did not even bother to pay a bit more patience and be a bit more professional to deal with it.

2) I was surprised that dishes and cups that I used in the room were left unattended even after the housekeeping service. I know that normally you don’t change the bed sheet if customers stay consecutively. However, without so many things to do, why housekeepers could not clean up the dishes and glasses? In other hotels, these things were well taken care of by housekeepers, and I really did not expect that I have to clean up those mugs and kitchenware every night by myself after a tiring day travel in Sydney!!

3) the Japanese maintenance staff was very polite and helpful.

Room Tip: The Asian male manager was rude and non professional.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear wailingcs,

Thank you for your review of the hotel.

I am pleased to see that you found the hotel conveniently located and special mention of our maintenance assistance - Takeshi. I will ensure to share your feedback with Takeshi.

It disappoints me to learn that you encounter an instance of indifference attitude from one of our team and sincerely apologise for disappointment you experienced during check in process.

Whilst your special request was noted in advance, unfortunately we were unable to accommodate your early check in due to limited availability.

Please feel free to contact email me direct via rina.park@breakfree.com.au to discuss in more detail and then I can address these issues accordingly.

Regards,

Front Office Manger
Canberra
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

The location of this hotel for access to Darling Harbour, Chinatown, Capitol Theatre etc can't be beaten. The reception staff were very welcoming and friendly. There is no onsite parking but the hotel has a deal with the parking station in Campbell Street, next to the Capitol Theatre, at a discounted rate. Recommend that you drive there first, park, then check in. The hotel will endorse the parking ticket so that the discounted rate is applied.

We booked a 2 bedroom apartment which was on the 16th floor. The size was adequate, with a queen bed in one bedroom and 2 king singles joined together in the second bedroom. The door could not close in the second bedroom without moving the bed. Pretty tight fit. The sitting room in the middle had couch, lounge chair, small dining table and a kitchenette. A large balcony faced onto Campbell street. Overall, quite comfortable. The 2 bathrooms were on the smallish side but adequate. The main dowmfall of the accommodation was the cleanliness of the rooms, especially the bathrooms. The walls and doors were not clean and shower recesses needed a good scrub. A new coat of paint would make a big difference.

We ate in the restaurant downstairs for dinner and also had the buffet breakfast. The dinner menu is interesting and the food was good. Service and atmosphere average. There are more attractive restaurants in this area. The breakfast was dissappointing. We took advantage of the reduced rate being offered by the hotel if you booked in advance. A buffet breakfast that was limited in choice, quantity and quality. The hot food that was cold. There was only one staff member on the floor which was insufficient. The restaurant in the daylight showed that it could also do with some good general cleaning and upgrading of furniture.

Overall, staff were friendly, helpful and efficient, location is good, facilities adequate - price - a little on the high side. You pay for the location.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear cangau,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay.

Our central location is one of our best features and I will be sure to pass on the kind reviews to the team.

I regret the shortcomings in service you have reported from housekeeping. Also please accept my sincerely apologies in regards to the issue you have raised regarding Chilli and Spicy Restaurant.

The issue you raised have been addressed with both Housekeeping and Restaurant Manager.

Thank you again and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to BreakFree on George again soon.

Front Office Manager

Been to BreakFree on George? Share your experiences!