“Great basic motel, good attention to detail” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Matador Motor Inn

You added Matador Motor Inn to your Saves list
Matador Motor Inn
3.0 of 5 Motel   |   11 Grafton Street (cnr Pacific Highway & Albany St), Coffs Harbour, New South Wales 2450, Australia   |
Ranked #8 of 38 Hotels in Coffs Harbour
Newcastle, Australia
“Great basic motel, good attention to detail”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

As the name says, it's a motor inn, so don't expect a hotel. That said, the rooms have been recently renovated with new wall tiles in the bathrooms and flat-screen TVs. The rooms were clean and beds comfortable. The staff were very efficient with check in/check out and helpful in showing us how to work the lights.

Undercover parking was available, however having a lower than normal cars meant I couldn't use the ramp from reception and had to drive via the road (not a major problem).

Reception is open until 10pm and check out is 10am which worked well for us, except that the windows near the airconditioners have no blinds - on my 2nd visit I put cushions in the window sills to block light out so I could sleep in a little.

Like most of the motels in the area, it's right near the highway, but setting the A/C to a reasonable temperature and high fan helps block out the noise.

Room Tip: King rooms are further from the highway, so a little quieter. Turning the AC fan on high helps block...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Steve P, Owner at Matador Motor Inn, responded to this review, May 17, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write this review we appreciate your time and the feed back received.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Muswellbrook, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Travelling back to the Hunter Valley from Caloundra last Friday found me a little bleary eyed and looking for somewhere to stay by around 6:30pm. Fortunately, the Matador Motor Inn didn't have their No vacancy sign up so I pulled in there. The hosts were fantastic, the price was great and the room was clean, comfortable and the bed super comfy! I was shown to my room and given a quick run through of the facilities, offered suggestions of dinner (delivery) and offered the use of dinner ware if required. The traffic was loud when I first got there but it seemed to drop off and didn't bother me in the least. I'd highly recommend the Matador Motor Inn for value, quality and cleanliness and for me, most importantly, the Customer Service offered was excellent!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Steve P, Owner at Matador Motor Inn, responded to this review, May 17, 2014
We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back
Byron Bay, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We came down from Byron Bay for the night just to explore the area. So, we're staying here right now! It's raining so I thought i'd write a quick review..

The Matador is fantastic! It's super-kitschy, super clean and just a great vibe all around. We love the 50/60's decor. It's authentic and reminds me of holidays when I was a kid going to places with my parents. It really feels like a time warp in here! The rooms are really clean, the front desk are genuinely helpful, attentive and caring, the rooms are spacious and the place is centrally located. This is a really memorable hotel and one that we'll recommend hands-down to anyone passing through. I cant' think of anything negative to say about it at all. So there's a bit of noise outside from traffic - big deal! All the hotels in Coffs are situated right off the highway so we're no different than the rest. Stay here. You'll love it!

Room Tip: ask for a room as far away from the main street intersection as possible.
Steve P, Owner at Matador Motor Inn, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write this review we appreciate your comments and we look forward to seing you in the future.
It is very good to know that our efforts and hard work does not go unnoticed.
Magor, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I booked the motel via Booking.com. We arrived a little early but thought we'd pop in anyway. Sue (the owner?) said the room wasn't ready so we said we'd pop off for lunch and come back later. When we returned Sue showed us to our room. It was clean and basic albeit a little old fashioned but all you need for a stopover.
Our room rate came with breakfast which Sue said would be placed in our room later. A tray with cereal, fruit pot, bread for toasting, butter, jam and orange juice and milk was placed in the fridge. I think this is great idea and the cost was reasonable too.
Although close to the main road we slept pretty well.

I've given the Matador an average rating but really wanted something between that and very good.. only due to the fact the room needs a bit of modernisation and the wifi didn't work as far as our room.

Steve P, Owner at Matador Motor Inn, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our Motel the feedback helps us improve our guest’s experience.
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

My partner and I arrived at the Matador Motor Inn for a 3 night stay and after such a long drive we needed to have a good rest.
We were welcomed by the motel managers/owners the lady on the reception was so friendly and very helpful also. we checked in and were given a run down on the motel and what was also around the area. The guy who also was either the manager or owner was very friendly also and made us feel extremely welcome and even assisted us to unload our car and carry our luggage with us. My partner and I thought wow this service is amazing we could not fault the staff at all. I cant understand how people can write a negative review in relation to the managers/owners as we had an amazing experience. We arrived in our room and it was exactly what we had looked at on the internet and we were very very impressed with all there was to offer. The room was very clean spacious and the beds so comfy. After a 3 day stay we were so impressed we decided we would stay here again. Everyday the managers/owners greeted us with a good morning or afternoon and we found them both to be so accommodating with our every needs. We found there was no road traffic noise at all and we had great quality sleeps each night. Thank you to the two hosts you have a great motel and both have great customer service and hospitality we look forward to staying with you again in the future.

Steve P, Owner at Matador Motor Inn, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time o write this review . Your comments are appreciated and we are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Warragul, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We chose this motel after reading the positive reviews on this site but we had a terrible nights stay. The host was friendly and helpful with local knowledge and the room was clean and basic.
It was a wet windy night and the wind constantly whistled and howled through our closed door and there was a constant noise of the wood panelling next to our room banging in the wind all night. The air conditioner sounded like water was running through it when used after it rained, and at one point there was a possum on the roof growling. That mixed with siren noises from the highway and the TV turning itself on at 4am, we couldn't wait to leave. It's safe to say we didn't have a restful nights sleep, it may have been a different story with calm weather.

Room Tip: Don't stay here in poor weather conditions!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Steve P, Owner at Matador Motor Inn, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Thank you for your review we appreciate your time.
We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay but unfortunately we cannot control the weather
Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Stayed at Matador Motor Inn for one night. Upon arrival, I realised that the rate I booked on booking.com was for one person. The lady who checked me in was very nice about it and said she'd let it go, although there would only be breakfast for one person. Later on when I dropped by reception with my travelling partner, a gentleman (the owner, I suppose) spotted my partner and began aggressively saying "I thought the booking was for one." He started to make a scene and was acting in an extremely unpleasant manner.

I fully accept that the mistake was mine and offered to pay the additional AUD20 for the extra person. I asked whether this meant my partner would also receive breakfast, because we were now paying the rate for two people. The gentleman sneered at me and said "that's not how this works". I do not appreciate the insinuation he seemed to be making that I was trying to cheat him, nor do I think guests should be treated with such hostility. I genuinely felt sorry for the lady because she seemed like a very pleasant person, but the gentleman should have handled the matter much more professionally.

Again- I have no objections to making right my mistake by paying the additional amount. But I do not think it's very hospitable for an owner to speak aggressively to a guest wherever you are. I did indeed complete the stay, but I would advise future guests to give this place a miss and go for another motel where the staff value future business.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Roger P, Manager at Matador Motor Inn, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
I hope that any person looking at review looks at the other reviews on this site they will then see that this person was in the wrong trying to book for one person and then travelling with a partner and hoping to get the room at our corporate rate and inclusions.
At no time were we aggressive or ungracious we merely pointed out that the type of booking made was for one person and if the guest required a room with breakfast included then there would be extra charges.
He then tried to say that it did not say that on the website or his conformation so we displayed the website involved and then pointed it out to him on the conformation he was holding. His partner then asked him why he booked this way and he became embarrassed, we tried to change the subject suggesting place to go for dinner in the area.
It was after he left he decided to write this review.
Below I have listed some remarks from our reviews I would like you to be the judge.
“Excellent service, standards and facilities”
“Convenience & Service combined”
“Spotlessly Clean, Good Value, Friendly Owner”
“ Really friendly and helpful staff”

Been to Matador Motor Inn? Share your experiences!