“If you want to experience a filthy 1980s style motel, this is the place for you!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Arosa Motel

Arosa Motel
You added Arosa Motel to your Saves list
Arosa Motel
220 Pacific Hwy, Coffs Harbour, New South Wales 2450, Australia   |
Ranked #38 of 38 Hotels in Coffs Harbour
Devon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

We paid $95 online for a supposed queen room, on arrival saw the same advertised outside at $65. We queried this and were given a cock and bull story about that rate being for a room for four people, despite the board clearly stating otherwise. Bad start. It only got worse. The room looked as though it existed in a timewarp. The furnishings and fittings were old fashioned, drab, mostly filthy and covered in dust, walls hadn't been cleaned for years on the face of it. The fridge would not be out of place on the antiques roadshow. The electrical socket for the aircon was very loosely fixed to the wall, and the cable for the bedside lights (one of which didn't work anyway even when I swapped the bulb over) came out of a large hole in the wall behind the bed. There was a toaster but no plate to use if you wanted to make a piece of toast in the morning as we intended. The manager seemed surprised that we wanted to actually use the toaster, but did eventually supply a couple of plates. The cups and saucers were all non matching.
In summary, this place is a nightmare, there are much better places in Coffs at this price. If only I had remembered where we had stayed on a previous trip through Coffs some years ago, we would never have chosen this dump.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

We booked this place online. NEVER AGAIN!!! What a joke, we payed $115 for a matchboxed sized room, a room that i suspect had been built to accommodate one double only, yet had another single bed wedged between the closet and the wall to make the room a "tripple". Our booking stated we were travelling with one toddler and an infant, yet we had to physically re-arrange the bed side tables and push the double bed up against the window in order to fit our port-o-cot in the room. You could barely move. When i complained of this to the receptionist, she basically snorted through her pierced nose and rudely informed me that as we had booked on-line that it was our problem, and we should take it up with the online company we had booked through.
Upon moving the bed we noticed all the filth and dirt that had lain underneath it for what appeared to be decades. Just walking around on the rooms carpet in the first few minutes and the soles of our feet and socks as black as soot!
My husband and i had to sit on the bed to view the small television because the only chairs available were located directly underneath it.
The room was so old and ugly, like it hadnt been touched since 1965. It even had an old radiator with a drawstring for heating.
Eventually we called a friend who lived nearby and stayed with her for the night, forfeiting our payment, but at least we had pleasant place to sleep. I love motels and stay in them often, but i would always advise to check them out as much as possible at first...... and AVOID AROSA MOTEL LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Avoid the front rooms at all costs!
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Rockingham, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2010

We regularly travel the Cairns to Sydney route a number of times a year and to save on ever increasing travel costs we try and pick accommodation that is comfortable and value for money. Never plan a trip when the school holidays are in full swing as prices are at least 50% higher and availability limited. Coffs harbour is an ideal stop off as it marks the halfway point between Brisbane and Sydney. Plenty of accommodation options and prices are on average lower than some inland country towns. We stay regularly at the Arosa and we grab a budget room for a couple of nights.The location on the South side of town is better, away from the pubs and clubs but only a 10 minute drive if you fancy doing a bit of shopping. The only negative thing I can say is being on the highway you have to give plenty of indicator warning to any tailgaters as you pull into the entrance.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Vista, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

I dropped in with no reservation - the hotel parking lot was empty. That should have told me something, but it was a rainy night and I just wanted to get in out of the cold. The hotel was $60 Australian, but I was told I could get a nice upgraded room for $30 more, and I decided to splurge. The upgraded room had no built in heater... Instead, it had a tiny portable space heater sitting on the floor, unplugged. I attempted to call the front desk to ask where to plug it in, since I couldn't find a proper location. They didn't answer their phone. I had to go back to the front desk, in the rain, to ask this question. Their answer was to either:

1) Plug in the heater in the narrow space between the two beds. This was unacceptable because of the obvious fire hazard involved in operating a space heater in close proximity to blankets, linens, etc…

2) Plug the heater into an outlet outside the room and stretch the cord over a bathroom sink into the doorway of the bedroom. This was unacceptable because of the risk of electrocution of running an electric cord through a sink and also a safety hazard to run the risk of tripping over the electric cord to get to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

Bottom line, the manager would not solve the problem and refused to provide a refund. Eventually, he gave a partial refund. I was only in the room for 5-10 minutes and hadn't even moved in a bag yet, but he told me he could not give a full refund because now he would have to clean the room.

This place should be shut down by the authorities, IMHO.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Albany, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2010

I had to be in Coffs Harbour at short notice for a funeral.
I selected this motel basically on price & it's location (south of the city, on the highway)
After collecting the car from the airport I arrived at the Arosa wondering if I hadn't somehow entered another time dimension.
I wasn't expecting too much & I wasn't disappointed!
The reception office was hidden behind an enclosed dining area & I walked around the whole complex before I found it.
I had just spent at least 18 hours travelling over from Western Australia & I was very tired.
The guy on reception seemed surprised to see me even though I had prebooked & paid for the room.He commented that I 'must be a glutton for punishment' when he realised I had booked for 3 nights.
The room was one of those old style motels from the 1960's a la Norman Bates.
It was clean enough, had plenty of TV stations tea & coffee making supplies so it did the job.
Would I stay again? No because there are plenty of alternatives around
On the upside it was $65 a night so as they say in the classics, 'you get what you pay for'

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
AUSTRALIA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2009

Recently stayed here, very noisy the bed had the underneath material falling away from it. It had a very bad paint job and also took the air conditioner a few hours to cool the room down. No light bulbs in the lights above the bed so no reading at night. VERY VERY uncomfortable bed. Extremly outdated. Lots more motels for similar price in this area. Not even any facewashers in the bathroom only small towel.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Shanghai, China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2008

Bad location - right on busy highway, so very noisy. Outdated, dirty. There are so many other great motels that are clean and right on the beach for the same price, so don't waste your money on this one.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Dirty
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Arosa Motel? Share your experiences!