“WONDERFUL FAMILY STAY AND EXCELLENT RESTAURANT FOOD” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Aqualuna Beach Resort

You added Aqualuna Beach Resort to your Saves list
Aqualuna Beach Resort
4.5 of 5 Condominium   |   840 Pacific Highway | Sapphire Beach, Coffs Harbour, New South Wales 2450, Australia   |
Brisbane, Australia
“WONDERFUL FAMILY STAY AND EXCELLENT RESTAURANT FOOD”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2011

Finally had the opportunity of checking out Aqualuna Beach Resort, we read mixed reviews about this place. I can confidentlly recommend this place to anyone who doesn't mind paying a little extra for some comfort. We had a large apartment , we had a two bedroom ocean view, very clean and comfy , also had two televisons, a washing machine and dryer. The facilities are very good, especially the food in the restaurant and service all round. The children were in the games room and pool, also played tennis. In our opinion Aqualuna is clean, well appointed and presented villas with lovely surrounding gardens , the customer service was really great at the reception desk and restaurant. We will recommed the resort to all the people we know.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

Stayed one night, the place itself is nice, clean, a lot of stairs and slopes though so take care when booking to ask for an appropriate room if you're a bit frail or have trouble walking.

At check in I was asked to pay for the room up front, no problem I paid. Then, I was asked for my card back so they could take another $10 for 'incidentals'. I questioned it but I'd been travelling so let it go. That means two lots of transaction fees on my card (I use a credit union and pay fees as you go)

When asked about my stay when checking out I complained about the $10 charge and the double dipping on my fees, said I wouldn't recommend the Aqualuna to others because the double transaction fee charging. The staff offered to explain it but had no empathy, nothing further was discussed.

About 1 hour later after I had left the hotel manager called my mobile, I explained what I thought was the problem and I said the same thing to him, I could not recommend the Aqualuna and I'd do a report for Trip Advisor.

He then offered to try and do a deal, free meal next time or 50% off a room next time. I advised I would still do a review, he called me angry, aggressive and a few words like that and hung up on me. (I would rather report this as it was than take a bribe not to post a review here for others)

So here is the review, without fear or favour. Pity the managers attitude re this as the place overall is quite nice.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
AqualunaGM, General Manager at Aqualuna Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 18, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to report your concerns regarding our billing procedures. We also do appreciate the positive comments you have made regarding our resort facilities and the overall customers service that you have received. However, I do wish to clarify a couple of points that you have raised and they are as follows: We do a pre authorisation on check in for $10.00 only, other hotels and resorts may do a pre authorisation for the full accommodation total plus another $100.00 pre authorisation. We only do a $10.00 pre authorisation for a very good reason and that is that the pre authorisation which may be practised at other hotels and resorts may take between four to six working days to drop off. We have listened to our customer feedback and put this policy in place. Our customers may need these funds for day to day living and therefore they are available. At Aqualuna Beach Resort we do not charge a credit card surcharge for transactions. Again, our customers come first as we do not charge a 1.5% or 2% credit card transaction fee. Finally, when I rang you to discuss this matter you were very dismissive and had an agrressive attitude towards me. I offered you dinner in the restaurant or 50% off your next stay with the intension that we can resolve your concerns in amicable fashion. Without fear or favour, I was offering you the above as a gesture of good will to keep you as a happy customer, it is unfortunate that you will tell your travel agent not to book anyone at this resort because we swiped your credit card for a $10.00 pre authorisation. I feel as though we have more than clarified our postion and am grateful that you have posted your comments allowing me the opportunity to respond accordingly. Kind regards Sam Kangais - General Manager.
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2011

Stayed at Aqualuna last week in a two bedroom Apartment. When we first walked into the room we noticed that there was a Queen Room with an ensuite spa and a room with two singles with its own ensuite shower, the apartment was spacious and clean, the view was mostly available from the top floor of our unit, straight out to the ocean, great view, It was so relaxing and good to get away from the hustle and bustle of the CBD enviroment. The kids enjoyed ordering room service, we must add that the food was awesome for rooom service, we received the same meals as the restaurant alacarte standard. We were impressed and will be back next trip.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

I know you get what you pay for however I don't think basic cleanliness is too much to ask. When we arrived the glass dining table had finger marks on it where kids had wiped their hands, the walls were scuffed and marked, neither of the balconies had been swept (one had leaves that were rotting) and there was a paddlepop wrapper behind the sofa bed. The common areas were no better. The pool toilet was in a state of disrepair and the pool bar never opened.

There were only a few tables set for breakfast. If you missed out on one of these the only other option was an unlit room with unset tables. One morning I asked if the airconditioning could be turned on in this room and one of the staff mumbled something and pointed to the only couple in that room. I guess the answer was no. My family and I opened the door in this room to get some air and saw a table outside which we ate at. We came back the next morning to this table and some bits of toast our toddler dropped were still on the ground.

Don't go there on the basis that it has a gym. The gym is a small room with some old equipment.

Having said all of that the staff were friendly.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
AqualunaGM, General Manager at Aqualuna Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 4, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post certain aspects of your experience including the shortfalls of service which you have encountered on this occasion. We have assessed all rooms and have begun our painting program, we are cleaning the surrounding walls at the same time. Our cleaning staff have been disciplined over your observations regarding the paddle pop wrapper and the balcony leaves, even though at times we do experience high winds in our location. The pool toilet is cleaned twice daily at 8am and again at 1 pm, we do have a register which I check to make certain that this actioned. We haven' t been operating the pool storage area for over two years, there is a large sign informing all guests that any beverage of choice are available at the restaurant bar, we do deliver all beverages in large plastic cups to the pool. In regards to our breakfast set up, there are 30 tables available, the lights are on and the air conditioning is on. Breakfast is available between 7 am and 10am daily. I am not sure how there can be confusion regarding this standard operating procedure. It is very uncharacteristic that mumbling and pointing has occured, it is ashame that no staff members names have been mentioned, it is also ashame that Management were not immediately informed. You have mentioned that all staff are very friendly at the end of your report, thank for this kind remark we will pass this on to all staff members. We will work on all your feedback matters immediately as we strive to exceed our customer expecations and not just meet them on a daily basis. We are looking forward to welcoming you back.
Kind regards, Sam Kangais- General Manager.
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

We stumbled across the Aqualuna Beach Resort on the internet not knowing what to expect , it was ranked 4.5 star so we decided to give it a go. We read the mixed reviews and can inform you that the accommodation and the restaurant on site were the best we have experienced in Coffs Harbour and we have becoming here on and off for 12 years. From check in, very smooth and being greeted by friendly staff to the restaurant, the food looked really nice when it arrived , tasted even better and staff were pleasant. The unit we booked was on the second row down towards the beach, the view was breathtaking, We endulged the Ocean View and the room service alarcate food on our second night. It was the perfect holiday for us after an average last couple of months. Well done to all the staff at Aqualuna Resort.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Brisbane
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2011

Stayed one night in the studio with spa room, booked through a last minute website so only paid $125 inc breakfast. The room was pretty small, and the 'kitchen' was a joke. Very small and in an awkward location so I wouldn't want to try to use it. The bathroom was fairly clean, however had louvers separating it from the bedroom. This was not adequately soundproof - Anything you did in the bathroom could easily be heard in the bedroom. Overall the room had lots of scratches and marks on the wall, which could be easily remedied with a coat of paint. The king bed was two beds put together, which although the beds themselves were comfortable, didn't make for a great nights sleep. A few old blood spots on the sheets were also a little off-putting also. The rooms were also quite noisy with all noise of the stair case echoing straight under the door. The stairs themselves were very grubby and uninviting, I would suggest a good clean of the wondows and a fresh coat of paint. All in all, this place is adequate. Don't come here for a luxurious romantic getaway, it's probably best for families.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
AqualunaGM, General Manager at Aqualuna Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 23, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to report the shortfalls in room standards whilst staying with us. However, I would like the opportunity to confirm that our Studio Suites are a compact hotel room type and do not have kitchens in them, they do offer a small bench with a microwave and coffee and tea facilities. Our One Bedroom, Two Bedroom and Three Bedroom Apartments and Villas have full kitchens. In regards to the scratches and marks noted in the foyer, staircase and in the room, I happy to inform fellow travellers that as of yesterday our painter has commenced on a painting schedule which will involve a routine check of every room and paint as required. We have also spoken with our linen distributor, all linen is freshly dry cleaned. We have purchased new linen and pillows last week for all rooms. Once again. thank you for the constructive feedback. Our focus is to provide excellent customer service to all of our customers, ensuring a comfortable and relaxing stay. Kind regards,
Sam Kangais - General Manager
Wollongong, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2011

We have just spent 2 very nice nights here. We have 2 young children and they had a blast.
I was concerned after reading some of the reviews but we were extremely happy with our 2 bedroom ocean view room, It was huge, quite literally a home away from home. We found the staff very accomodating and the buffet breakfast was amazing. Given the opportunity we will definately be returning.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Been to Aqualuna Beach Resort? Share your experiences!