“Good location, comfortable place to stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Opal Cove Resort

You added Opal Cove Resort to your Saves list
Opal Cove Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Pacific Hwy, Coffs Harbour, New South Wales 2450, Australia   |
Ranked #26 of 38 Hotels in Coffs Harbour
Port Macquarie, Australia
“Good location, comfortable place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

I have stayed at Opal Cove for business trips for around 6yrs now and it feels like a 2nd home to me. The staff are friendly and helpful and prompt with their service. The rooms over time are starting to be updated which is needed, however they are not to bad. The restaurant (Horizons) is a nice place to dine if you are looking for some fine food with the staff always happy to take feedback to improve the experience some more. Overall if you are looking for somewhere to stay that is comfortable and convenient to the town centre then Opal Cove will suit your needs.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a 3rd or 4th floor room on the ocean side of the resort to get the best views of t...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I stayed here twice in the past Month. Mostly for the convenience of a quick stop-over in Coffs Harbour on way up to Gold Coast and then back home again. It is set well back from the road, which offered some 'quiet'. The resort is in a lovely location with views and sounds of the ocean. It has potential. Given the age of the hotel (my Uncle actually manged this place when I was a child), it is not holding up too badly but is in desperate need of some TLC and a make-over. The rooms are spacious and quite clean but are definitely tired! They need to replace the beds and linens, paint, replace carpets and make-over the very 'antique' bathrooms. If they did this, it would be a great spot. Very quiet with no noise from the highway and very good prices! Unfortunately what let this hotel down the most was some of the staff. The first stay I had breakfast, but didn't think much of it so opted for none the second stay. On checking out the second time, a gent with an (american?) accent who did my check out rude and quite demeaning. I told him I left the key in the room to which he said 'are you sure, I'm going to get it checked you know'!!!. I assured him it was there and he replied with 'well, I'm going to write this down. If it's not there, I'll be calling you'. Seriously? Why would I want to take the key with me? Granted it was 6am and he was obviously tired (his presentation was awful, clothes like a sack of potatoes and all crumpled) but that's no way to speak to guests! Additionally, on this second stay, I had arrived late (8.50pm) and phoned the restaurant to see if I could get dinner only to be told no, we are closed, you'll have to go to town (It turned out all of Coffs Harbour seems to close early and I was stuck with 'noodle box' for dinner that night. Not very appetising and certainly not good standard for a four star hotel). Either way, I would probably stay again for an overnighter - only out of convenience because the prices are very reasonable and it's in a quiet spot. If I were holidaying here, I'd stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: I had a 'cheap room' on the bottom floor but it was fine for a quick 'overnighter' o...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Hitchin, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Stayed here 9-11 August 2012, large and comfortable room with ocean view but room and resort both felt a bit tired, shabby and soul less. Alright if you are just looking for somewhere to sleep for a night on a journey but not a 'resort' to visit for itself. Out of Coff's Harbour so restaurants etc are a drive away and the hotel's choices for dining are only average.

Room Tip: Make sure you face the ocean and not the car park!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney/Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Stayed here on a Friday night. Arrived from the Airport and asked if it might be possible to get into our room an hour earlier than advertised time. After reciting the book-in times she finally checked, and,, Yes, room was ready, however when we checked the bar fridge it was almost empty and worried we might be charged for all the missing alcohol. Found the mini-bar lady in charge who snapped at us telling us that "you insisted on coming in here early and I hadn't had time to top it up". So rude. If you can not let staff upset you, the place itself is lovely, peaceful and a two minute walk across the lawn to the beach. Only minus here is that they no longer put toiletries in the bathroom and so a ten minute drive to shops to buy shampoo.

Room Tip: We found it worth paying a little more for oceanview
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

Went to this venue for a two day conference. Coffee and tea were not available for morning tea at the conference. Breakfast buffet food was pretty poor. We had a lunch as part of the conference and it was a plate of sandwiches and a plate of cut up fruit. The vegetarian in our group just got a place of cut up vegetables. The entrance looks grand and then it was all down hill after that. A tired looking resort.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Booked a room on wotif for $99 a night plus $10 for a cot for my 19 month old.

Check in was a breeze. Got keys and headed to the 4th floor. Room was quite nice, roomy with a balcony facing the car park. The cot unfortunately was not there. We went down stairs and asked to have it put in the room and it was done straight away.

Room was quite a walk from the elevator, which was fine for us but if you have mobility issues you might want to ask for a room near the elevator. Pool was closed for Winter as was the golf course. The grounds are quite nice and it only a few minute walk to the beach. The bed was a little too soft for my liking.

My wife checked out as I collected the car from the car park. She was charged again for the use of the cot. I went in to question this double charging only to be told that the resort did not allow cots to be booked in advance on wotif. I assured them that I had infact paid the additional $10 a night and would like the money to be refunded. The older lady on the desk approached me and said they definitely did not allow cots to be booked and unless I could prove it otherwise there would be no refund. She was extremely condescending and rude. I called wotif, and they called the resort on my behalf and explained I had in fact paid for the use of the cot.

In the end I was refunded the double charge without an apology from the extremely rude older lady. This poor service has ruined my experience and I will look elsewhere next time I am in Coffs Harbour.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Skipton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

We were expecting a lot more, they have clearly spent a lot more money on their web site than on the hotel itself!
The room was large but very dated and tired looking. The bath has big chips in it and needs updating.
The swimming pool was closed, the golf course closed and the tennis courts should be closed as they were in a poor state of repair. The only good thing was that rackets and balls were provided free of charge and the front desk staff were very nice and helpful.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Opal Cove Resort? Share your experiences!