“Bad start but a nice place” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Adrift by the Beach

You added Adrift by the Beach to your Saves list
Adrift by the Beach
3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   5 Boultwood Street, Coffs Harbour, New South Wales 2450, Australia   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Brisbane, Australia
“Bad start but a nice place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

when i first arrived, at around 2.20pm (check-in was after 2pm), the manager (Deb) was on the phone arguing. I just waited my turn, and when she did acknowledge me she knew who I was but wasn't too happy I was there as my room wasn't ready. My response? 'Oh'. That was pretty much it, she then accused me of having an attitude and asked if 'anything had ever gone wrong for you'.

Truth was I needed a piss and so did my 9-year-old daughter, but that was it. After her dealing of me I wasn't going to ask any questions because this would probably annoy her more. I decided I'd stay out of her way, but if I did have a run-in again, we'd just leave.

A little while later when we returned from the beach, she was nice as pie, and great with the kids, who she recommended DVDs to.

Also we had an extra bed as I requested, which was not charged, which I am massively grateful for.

She showed us an award (which I believe was from this website) which she was immensely proud of. The kids were really happy, she was great with them. I think she was making up for the earlier incident, which is fine.

The room, the place, the location, the pool were all superb, if it wasn't for my introduction to Deb I would be going back again and again. I will recommend this place, but it's not for me.

Oh, one last thing: your English accent was awful. There's over 100 accents in the British Isles and yours came over as Pakistani.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Debbbie-Manager, Manager at Adrift by the Beach, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you for your review. Firstly Im sorry for your first impression of me - not to justify - but to enlighten you yes I was arguing on the phone when you arrived, with a big company who cancelled and didn't pay for 2 months accommodation. Not your fault I know and again I apologise for you having to hear it upon arrival. As for your room not being ready when you arrived at 210 pm - no it wasn't ready as I had upgraded you from a standard 2 bedroom to a large 2 bedroom apartment so I could accommodate the extra bedding you required. The larger 2 bedroom apartments take longer to clean and not everyone checks out on time and if this happens it can put us behind especially during school holidays. I didn't charge you for the upgrade(which was quite a difference) and your appreciation was obvious at the time. I treat all the kids that come here - the same -((I was no different on this occasion because of our earlier introduction)) and that is why my guests keep coming back -

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Churchill, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

My family stayed here for 3 nights and found the unit warm, clean and really well equipped. There is a fairly good variety of (free) DVD's which you can choose from, and a lovely looking pool which unfortunately we didn't use as the weather was a bit cold. The playground equipment is basic, but does the job in keeping kids occupied, and we all had fun playing table tennis. Deb is very thoughtful, helpful, loves interacting with the kids and really does believe in the personal touch.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thankyou very much for the glowing review - I do what I do because it makes people happy and if my guests kids are happy - they are happy and will return...The free dvd's are part of the service. We look forward to you return.
Mudgeeraba, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

My 2 daughters (34 and 32) and I had a girls overnighter in Coffs and I booked online at the last minute and chose Adrift by the Beach. By some amazing coincidence, we met Debbie at Park Beach Plaza when we were all in the same shop at the same time and I was asking for directions to Boultwood St and she stepped in to help - how bizarre that she would be there at that moment to help us out, something she continued to do for our short stay. She met us on arrival and with tongue firmly planted in cheek, growled at me for parking in number 11 when she had clearly told me in to park number 5!!She never told me that but I wouldn't argue with her!! She came to our room to complete the formalities but we had such a blast just talking to her as she gave us advice on where to eat and how to get there. We took her up on 2 options, the Hoey Moey for dinner and then on to the Bowls Club, both good choices. As noted in many reviews for Adrift, the place IS old but our unit was clean, warm and very comfortable. The double bed WAS like sleeping on a cloud, as suggested in a previous review. Deb is a larger than life character, full of Aussie spirit, she took the time with all her guests - greeting and farewelling them in her own special style. Would have loved to stay a little longer but was not able to. Looking forward to returning in the future to catch up with Deb and check out the ongoing work to the place. Adrift is a little gem, perfect for families, singles and mums looking to spending some time with their adult daughters. Go Deb, you rock girl!! Sorry didn't see the survey sheets - too much wine! One thing though, pillows a little flat but didn't really notice until the morning. :)

Room Tip: Talk to Deb - tell her what you want.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Debbbie-Manager, Manager at Adrift by the Beach, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Cheers for the great review It was a tad ironic how we met but I am glad we did - It is always good when you have a great group of guests come to stay. We look forward to your return and having a good old laugh.
Gosford, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We arrived at Coffs Harbour as it got dark,using smart phone ,located number and called.Such a lovley happy voice .As we were a street away, she directed us and waited at the front .What a wonderful welcome especially travelling in the rain before we arrived..She even set a table cloth and closed the curtains.The two bedroom unit was very clean , neat , comfortable and relaxing.
Short walk to the bowling club for a meal.As we were passing through, would love to stay longer next time. Would highly recommend to friends and relatives. Thank you so much Debbie

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the swimming pool
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your glowing review - It was a pleasure to ensure your room was warm upon arrival as it was a cold rainy night - and the it was no trouble going out the front when you couldn't find us. We look forward to your return for a longer stay.
Kootingal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Having to travel to Coffs for a medical appointment I checked out units with short stay accommodation. What a great decision we made to book here. We were greated with a happy smile and hello as we arrived. The unit was extremely clean with everything you needed. Just a short walk to the beach and for meals the Bowling Club is basically just across the road. I have already booked for my next Drs. appointment. Thank you Debbie.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
AdriftbytheBeach, Manager at Adrift by the Beach, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Thanks for the review, we are so glad you enjoyed your stay - see you in the near future.
Hornsby, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Debbie is great - accommodating and helpful, the room was very spacious, clean and tidy, brand new beds - soooooooooooo comfy. Very neat manicured lawns and gardens. Close to all aminities and a lovely beach. The four day stay was a relaxing experience and we would highly recommend to anyone - we will be back. Just a final - personal Thank You to Debbie for the amazing send off at the airport !!!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Debbbie-Manager, Manager at Adrift by the Beach, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
You are more than welcome for the airport send off - it was a laugh all the way back to drop your dear friend off at the bus stop... Thank you for the glowing review. Myself - wayne and the cleaning crew work extremely hard to keep the lawn gardens and apartments up to the standards our regular and future guests expect.
See you in the near future.
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Adrift is not the newest or poshest place to stay in Coffs, but our experience was excellent. Debbie is very welcoming and helpful and the Park Beach location is great.
We only stayed for 2 nights this time as we were just catching up with family on our way back to Brisbane. The room we stayed in had 2 good sized bedrooms a small-ish (but perfectly adequate) kitchen, laundry (excellent!) and a huge lounge/dining room with the biggest TV I've seen in a holiday apartment! The room had just been refurbished with new carpet and kitchen, so it was in excellent condition.
The free WiFi was very handy for catching up on emails.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
AdriftbytheBeach, Manager at Adrift by the Beach, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for your review. Thats right we are not the Ritz. We have an older set of apartments that we love - keep clean and are in the process of upgrading our standard 2 bedroom aprtments. The larger 2 bedroom aprtments have all had new kitchens and furnishings and carpets... We have been rebuilding the gardens around the bbq area and the pool and front entrance gardens are also underway with a makeover..A few licks of paint and we are on our way to a beautiful outdoor area for all our guests to enjoy..
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay - (laundry in the large apartments and 42" plasmas they are a bonus) - We look forward to your return and hope you can stay longer and enjoy all the facilities..
Deb

Been to Adrift by the Beach? Share your experiences!