“Great Hotel - Disappointing Charges” 3 of 5 stars

You added Adrift by the Beach to your Saves list
Adrift by the Beach
5 Boultwood Street, Coffs Harbour, New South Wales 2450, Australia   |
Brisbane, Australia
“Great Hotel - Disappointing Charges”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We choose to stay at Adrift last minute due to being stuck in the floods that block the highway from Grafton to Balina. The rooms were very spacious and clean, great location within walking distance to Pubs, Cafes, service stations and beach which was very convinient, Staff were very helpful on arrival and during the stay.

The only disappointing factor of the stay was being charged for a 2nd's night accommodation when we checked out at 11am the following morning, due to the natural disaster we were unsure whether we were staying another night, however never booked for two nights’ accommodation. We felt eager to get on the road as soon as possible and when we did notice a detour was open we checked out and headed up the coast as soon as possible. We feel that advantage was taken in this situation where we were obviously in a difficult situation in the first place and compassion could have been shown rather than making a profit out of us for a 1.5 hour late check out. We respect that a late checkout fee could have been charged however a full night’s accommodation is not in our opinion very moral. Being a Manager for a leading hotel chain in Brisbane I understand the funds that can be lost and that we did loose over money the weekend due to Mother Nature; however at times like these goodwill never goes astray to those in trouble!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Debbbie-Manager, Manager at Adrift by the Beach, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Thank you for your review. Glad you liked Adrift by the Beach.

In relation to you being charged and me making advantage in a natural disaster situation. When you checked - I kept an eye on the rta and other sites for you to be able to advise you with the most recent updates and at 330 pm I advised you that the announcement was the highway would be blocked for up to another 48 hours and also advised you that your aprtment was available for you till friday should you get. When I spoke to your boyfriends about it - it was "we will just have to stay the 2 nights nothing we can do about it"

I have not been heartless or immoral in any of my decisions - I have issued well over a thousand dollars worth of credit notes to guests who are stranded and couldnt get to their holiday. Im sorry you feel you have been taken advantage of - and no profit has been made from you whatsoever as you were charged a 2 night rate instead of an overnight rate. I had no time to clean that room on the day you left as I was dealing with flooded carpets - broken gutters - leaking roof - therefore I was unable to sell the apartment for that night. Had you of advised me earlier than you did I may have been able to get the cleaners to do the room - but with 5 minutes notice it wasnt possible.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Wauchope, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

After finding Adrift on the net we stayed for 2 nights. we were soooooo impressed we booked out the whole complex for our daughters up coming wedding. Debbie could not be more helpful. anything that we needed Debbie provided. any question was asnwered. we slept on cleen comfy beds, there is NOTHING wrong with the units. my family will always stay at Adrift when we go to see our Daughter and her soon to be husband.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Debbbie-Manager, Manager at Adrift by the Beach, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Thanks for your great review. I take a lot of pride and work hard to make Adrift what it is andmy cleaning crew are wonderful support as well - We areglad that you and your entire family will be able to spend the weekend at the complex and you can all enjoy the great facilities - the Large BBQ area and pool are ideal for family gatherings. Enjoy your stay again and we will always look forward to your return.
Deb

PS CONGRATULATIONS to your daughter and her soon to be husband...
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Visited there for a couple of nights with relatives, had 2 rooms right next to each other. The place , yeah sure it's a bit old........but very clean neat and tidy. Debbie is terrific and was great when I rang to book and great when we got there, she is super helpful and does a top job !!
Pool is good for the kids as is the out door grass area ! 10/10 ! Keep up the good work Debbie !

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Debbbie-Manager, Manager at Adrift by the Beach, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. It is great to know that my guests are happy with clean, comfortable and affordable accommodation. We have a great bbq and pool are and our guests love that aspect. We will be working on the face fronts of the units this year as well as some landscaping around the pool and bbq areas. We will also be doing some reno's on the standard 2 bedroom apartments in the near future.
We hope you notice the difference upon your return.
Again thank you for your review.
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Myself and my family ( 5 members - 2 adults, 3 kids) stayed in an apartment here and we were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the rooms despite the bland, brick exterior. Our room was fitted with a plasma TV and the kitchenette was new and well equipped - a new oven and utensils. The beds were beautifully soft and comfortable. As a large family we are used to having to make one child use the rarely comfortable, sofa bed, so the best thing about this place was that there were 3 beds for each of the kids.

The manager was lovely and very helpful; it's always nice to see a friendly face. The location was also convenient because it was situated near the beach, and there was the fantastic Cafe Aqua just 2 mins down the road. It's also a short trip away from a big shopping centre with a Supa IGA and the usual chain stores. A good find in Coffs Harbour. I would recommend this to those who want affordable, family-friendly accommodation in a convenient location.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Debbbie-Manager, Manager at Adrift by the Beach, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Thanks Ellen for your glowing review. We have been working hard this year upgrading the larger apartments with new kitchens - carpets - beds and all the units have 42"plasma tv's - there is still some renovations to happen this year to the smaller apartments but we are getting there. It is good to provide the extra bed for the bigger families - Our larger 2 bedroom aprtments all have 3 single beds in them and they are very popular as is the 3 bedroom for that reason - Bigger Families - also deserve comfort and this is what we aim to provide all our guest - CLEAN COMFORTABLE & AFFORDABLE - and thats our motto.. We look forward to your return in the future and hopefully for a longer stay.
Bangkok
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

The manageress Debbie could fit the role of a warder in a female prison.
She had a big barny with guests whenever they disputed her ruling. I had a run in with her interpretation of "free wifi" after I questioned her shutting the wifi off for 24 hrs if you used more than 200MB, about 3 hours worth..A request for an extra toilet role over a week met with a grumble, even got into trouble for holding back a defective screen door for a minute with a chair so that my frail 89 year old mother could walk through safely. The condition as described by many others as "well worn" is an understatement. The small old aircon was inadequate for a 2BR unit and forget the nearby beach for swimming, there are warnings signs about the currents. You could really be Adrift at the Beach with no ay to get back. AVOID THIS PLACE AND STAY HAPPY.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Debbbie-Manager, Manager at Adrift by the Beach, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thankfully - on Trip Advisor - we as accommodation operators also have the right to reply to customer reviews.

1. In response to me being like a Prison Warden - previous reviewers disagree with you AND I take offence to that as I work extremly hard to make my guests feel at home and remember at times going above and beyond for your wife and daughter in relation to extra cooking utensils for your christmas dinner and taking the time with your wife and daughter to choose a really good dvd for her to watch. (Not many Prison Wardens would do that)

2. In response to you alledging that I cut you off from using the Wi-Fi that is untrue. That side of the system is out of my control - the only thing I have control of is rebooting the system when there is a problem. The systems is set up for our guests so that they get 200 mb or 1440 minutes usage. Once that has been reached the system shuts them down and will allow them back on the next day. What you FAILED TO MENTION in your review is that when you came to me angrily about me shutting you down from the Wi-Fi was that when you mentioned you were an internationl businessman and needed the wifi and internet to conduct your buisness - I rebooted the system for you - on more than 3 occasions at no extra cost to you. Maybe when you are travelling next time (as an international businessman) you supply your own internet dongle.
3. As far as the door being held open with a chair on for a minute for your elderly mother - It was on a a few occasions in the busiest time of the day and your unit was situated at the end of a very busy pathway and other guests couldnt get past and once you were inside the chair was still holding the door open - chocking the door open with a chair is what breaks the automatic air-closers on the security screens in the 1st place - and then people complain about the doors not being operational.
4. Now in response to your complaint about the air conditioner being too small for the units - the aircons are the right size - but a bit old and yes are being replaced in the near future - But you tried to cool an apartment to 16 degrees - with an oven going on 200 degrees for 5 hours while your cooking christmas dinner and its just not going to happen - Had you of opened up the unit while you were cooking as did the other guests - with the breeze and ceiling fans going it was a beautiful day. Not once did you complain to me about the airconditioner or I would have advised you the same thing as the other guests.

Yes our standard 2 bedroom apartments are a bit tired will all be renovated early this year with a new coat of paint - - doors - bed head lights - and hopefully we will be able to replace the carpets as well. One of the six units has been done and we have 5 to go.

And you then claim to not like the beaches here either and that there were too many rips - well sir that is hardly my fault and show me a beach that doesnt have a rip!

At Adrift we claim to be CLEAN COMFORTABLE AND AFFORDABLE -
and if you wanted 5 star facilities then maybe you should have booked at a 5 star resort where you may or may not of been happier.

I will keep up my hard work and remember this one thing while im doing it -
"YOU CANT PLEASE EVERYONE ALL OF THE TIME" but I WILL TRY!!!!
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

We stayed here for one night on our way from Sydney to the Gold Coast. Debbie was there to meet us and provided us with a free upgrade since there were six of us and she had a bigger place available for the night. Our room was very clean and great value for what we paid. Location wise you are very close to everything you need in Coffs and we would definitely stay here again, maybe we need to plan to spend a week sometime!

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Debbbie-Manager, Manager at Adrift by the Beach, responded to this review, December 23, 2012
Cheers for the review - It was a pleasure meet and greet your family - we take pride in the cleanliness of the apartments and the pool/grounds, as for the free upgrade to a larger room upon arrival - your welcome - nothing worse than being cramped up when you dont need to be - free upgrades (when rooms are available) is just one of the specials we offer when guests make direct bookings or through our booking button on our website.

We look forward to you returning for a longer stay - Yes book ahead as Adrift has become quite popular. See you next trip.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

I stayed with wife, baby and little brother for just a night on my way from Brisbane to Sydney. Honestly, this was the most modest and cheapest accommodation of our whole trip. Don't get me wrong! It was the best one too!! Even though Newcastle and Sydney accommodations were a lot fancier and pricey, this one was miles ahead in value for money and marketing honesty. It was just perfect for us. Affordable and great service from Debbie who even played with our 11-month old baby. I'd definitely stay again anytime I'm driving past the area. Keep up the good work!

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
WOW - thank you for your glowing review - your family were a delight to host - Your baby mesmerised me with his smile and his laughter - and to you and your beautiful family Please come again soon.. Next time book for a couple of nights so I can have more play time with baby.. It was a pleasure to have you stay and would be delighted if I could have a copy of the photo of us in the garden for my memorabillia wall - See you all real soon
Deb

Been to Adrift by the Beach? Share your experiences!