“'Great hotel and best staff'” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Realm
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   18 National Circuit | Barton, Canberra 2600, Australia   |
Ranked #7 of 53 Hotels in Canberra
Sydney, Australia
“'Great hotel and best staff'”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

I have been a long time stayer at the hotel and I would have to say the hotel is lovely and the staff are truly amazing. They are professional, engaging, courteous, effiecient and prompt to your request and feedback. I stayed in the one bedroom suite. The rooms are of quality but of minimalistic approach but the sound isolation is great meaning a good nights sleep. Nice firm king size bed with good pillows, block out curtains, two flat screen TV's with FOXTEL and Apple TV player, decent shower and water pressure with Loccitane ammenities. There is also a small kitchen with decent size fridge/freezer, Fisher Paykel dish drawer washer, Smeg Convectional Microware oven and a Omega front load washer/dryer! For coffee they have the quality Nesspresso pods/machine for the caffine hit you need. For the times you need to work into the evening or a place to reflect when under a deadline, the work space is adequate and quiet. I have also used the dry cleaning and room service and both where great. I have also tried the bar and restaurants down stairs and the food and variety was also of high standards. If you need more variety, Manuka and Kingston, The Ottoman restaurants is only 5 mins by car and Civic only 10 mins away. If you are a foodie, 'Malamay' restaurant is within the precinct, which is owned by the restaurant owner 'Chairman and Yip'. There is also a gym and pool in the basement and a day spa. The gym is very good and there are personal trainers there if engaged. The pool is a two lap 25 m with spa, dry sauna and steam room. When Canberra has major exhibitions like Monet or The Aztecs, you can purchase the tickets from reception. At times there would be events like local wine exhibition within the hotel, which is great to taste the local produce and engage with others. A great stay for business or pleasure with best staff to make the experience enjoyable.

Room Tip: Gets busy especially in Parliment sitting and other key functions, pays to call up and plan ahead.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Enjoyed our two nights at this hotel. Stayed in a suite which was of a good size and interesting, modern and quite minimalist décor. The bedroom could be closed off from the rest of the suite with sliding doors, but we couldn't get these to work properly.
The outlook from the suite was over an internal courtyard, which wasn't the most exciting thing to see in the world, but wasn't a big problem.
Service was good, with the check-in being very friendly if not a bit long-winded.
All other staff encountered were fine.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

Family stayed with adjoining rooms - rooms immaculate and amazing. I would not say it was family orientated, however we never felt like th children were an issue, everyone was very polite - and service was great.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

I took my 85 year old mum for a short holiday to Canberra, and having reviewed other hotels on Trip Advisor (Park Hyatt, Hotel Kurajong), I decided on something newer - Hotel Realm - and opted for the Atrium Suite. Check in was swift, friendly and helpful. Car parking was underground and the hotel swipe card for the room also provided in and out access to the car park. Access from underground parking to the lift and to our floor was so easy, and I was especially grateful for this as mum can't walk too far. The Atrium Suite is a two bedroom style apartment with a common shared area of lounge, dining room, balcony, full kitchen, two bathrooms (one with spa bath and full length mirror), writing desks, good cupboard/drawer space (with iron and ironing board) and one walk in robe area with an inroom safe and another small desk. There are flat screen TVs in both bedrooms and one in the open plan lounge and dining area. The kitchen has everything you need - fast boil kettle, complimentary black, green and herbal teas, biscuits, sugar and sweeteners, and some minibar snacks of chips and nuts, Nespresso coffee machine with complimentary Nespresso coffee capsules (the strong flavour), toaster, four element ceramic induction cooktop, full oven, Fisher and Paykel dishwasher with dishwasher powder, Smeg microwave, washing machine with complimentary laundry detergent, full size fridge freezer (stocked with a selection of minibar beer, wine, chocolate bars), table ware, cutlery and cooking utensils. There are separate air conditioning zones for each bedroom and lounge/dining area. Complimentary newspaper and daily servicing (with excellent L'Occitane verbena shampoo, conditioner, shower gel and body lotion, loofah mitt, razor with shaving cream, toothbrush with toothpaste, shoe shine, sewing kit replaced daily). Block out blinds kept out the light and it was a very quiet area at night. The beds were firmly supportive and very comfortable, and came with midweight duvets and lighter cotton blankets. There are master switches at the entry and next to each bed that control energy for lights and aircon. The TV remote controls aren't complicated (though check that they work as ours needed batteries replaced, and this was done very quickly when we asked for assistance.) I prepaid for our room in advance to save a little. Breakfast was not included and this was just fine - in fact, we preferred this as we were able to enjoy Maple and Clove for brunch one day, and then shopped at a grocery store for our own breakfast supplies. Drinks at the downstairs bar were very good, and we enjoyed one meal there. I was able to sign both restaurants to my hotel bill. We also made great use of the kitchen. And one evening we enjoyed dinner room service. I didn't use their internet services as this was an extra fee, and I had my own Telstra small wireless modem which I can use just about anywhere. We loved the layout of this apartment - in total I'd say there was between 80 or 90 sqm of well designed space - and the cost per night (about $440) compares better than renting two separate one bedroom units. I liked padding around in my jimjams between my room and mum's, without having the bother of having to get dressed and walk down the hotel hallway to another room. I have attached a copy of the room layout that I downloaded from the hotel website. There is also an excellent Mudd Spa in the hotel with a Vichy shower (yes !) that I enjoyed very much. This was a perfect stay for both of us.

Room Tip: Stay in a two bedroom suite if you are travelling with extra family or friends - and ask to stay on...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
HotelRealm_GM, General Manager at Hotel Realm, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear MR1961,

I am delighted to hear that your stay at the Hotel Realm was perfect, I am also incredibly appreciative of the time taken to write such positive feedback.

All facets of the Hotel Realm have been designed with the guest in mind, from the room sizing to the Nespresso coffee machines, down to the L'Occitane shampoo and conditioner. We believe each guest should have a luxurious and memorable stay with us.

Thank you again for your detailed review of the Hotel Realm, we look forward to welcoming you and your family back when next in Canberra.

Emil K.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

Stayed here last weekend to see the World Maps exhibition at the National Library and was surprised at how beautifully appointed and spacious my room was! I was pleasantly surprised to find out that We've been given a complimentary upgrade to one of their suites! My wife enjoyed the L'Occitaine bath products as well as the Nespresso machine in the room! Also good to note that there was FREE wifi throughout the hotel

We had a truly luxurious weekend in Canberra and we'll be back

Room Tip: Ask for one of their suites overlooking Parliament House
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear CaPlanePourMoiX,

Thank you for your glowing review of the Hotel Realm, we sincerely appreciate the time taken to provide positive feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel Realm.

Emil K.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Check-in and room service staff were friendly and efficient. Clear directions for parking and finding my room. Everything in the room was clean, working and good quality. Comfortable bed. Quiet which is rare and a blessing. Situated close to the major sites - Art Gallery, National Library etc.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

My partner had to go to Canberra for work so we thought we would give ourselves a treat and stay at a 5 star hotel the night before and booked into The Realm. What we found was far from 5 star. One of the two televisions in the room didn't work at all. The blinds were shabby and torn. The air conditioning was stuck on a stuffy 24.5 degrees and couldn't be adjusted, no matter what we did. The minimalist design - think hessian covered pin board as wall covering - was very non-luxurious in feel. In fact, the whole thing felt slapped together, unfinished and ill-maintained. We found we had been assigned a wheelchair friendly room even though we didn't need to be and nor were we advised we would be, so the bathroom was far from the indulgence we had booked ourselves in for. Instead we had an open shower with a curtain around it that didn't fit and no vanity or cupboard of any sort, so all our toiletries etc had to be perched on the edge of the bath or on the unattractive concrete floor. A far cry from the indulgent experience we had booked and paid for. I doubt we will ever be back and I'm sure you could do better in Canberra, especially at the price! Very disappointing.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelRealm_GM, General Manager at Hotel Realm, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
To Noel,

I would like to extend my sincerest apologies that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. Had our staff been alerted to your in-room technical issues, a member of our maintenance team could of rectified this for you.

In regards to your room, I would be more than happy to offer an upgrade upon your next stay to compensate for the mix-up with the Easy Access Room.

Emil Kovacik

Been to Hotel Realm? Share your experiences!