“The Best Place for Steak in Canberra” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Doing business, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Reservations
Canberra
“The Best Place for Steak in Canberra”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I don't go here often enough. This is definitely the place for a long lunch as the steaks are always first class and cooked to perfection. They have an excellent wine list but the steaks are just superb. I would go more often but I avoid Canberra City in the evenings.

Visited July 2012

Canberra
“Very disappointing meal”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We went for a family members birthday a 7pm sitting on Saturday night.

I've eaten here a few times before and for the most part its been enjoyable. Unfortunately the standards here have dropped and it isn't worth the premium prices charged.

There were only two waiters working who were run off their feet. Oysters were off the menu. One family member had the schnitzel which looked as though it'd just come fresh from the microwave. My steak was good but for $45 you'd expect it to be. The vegetables that are served with were poor as well.

All in all it wasn't what we'd hoped for, not a terrible meal but definitely not worth the money charged and paid.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“Still setting THE Standard”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We have visited over the years and never been disappointed.
Good steaks accompanied by good wined and decent service, a recipe for longevity, and Charcoal Grill has it all.

Visited November 2012
Canberra, Australia
“Never fails...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I have eaten at this restaurant for nearly (dare I admit it...) 24 years. I have never had a bad meal there. I love the "old fashioned" feel of the restaurant and the menu. It's not the cheapest, but worth it for the 2-3 times a year I would eat there.

I'm boring, I don't often change from the sizzling garlic prawns as an entree, and the steak Diane as my main. But I do also occasionally enjoy the deep fried Camembert with redcurrant jelly, and chicken with avocado. Each meal comes with a baked potato and a side of vegetables, and it's nice that the waitress will then personally top up the potato with butter, sour cream and chives if you want them (dinner only, they serve chips and vegetables at lunch). The wine list is good also.

If you would like good "non trendy" food, and good service then I can really recommend the Charcoal restaurant.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“A great classic steakhouse”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Has the best steak of my life here. Got the last table in the house on a cold Canberra night and boy was it a great dinner. Steaks fabulous, excellent wine and I don't consider it expensive for what we got. My friend enjoyed it so much he arranged a weekend away just so he could go back!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere